• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Aceofspades

At the local scrap yards here, if you bring in more than $25 worth of copper, you will be mailed a check. For steel or aluminum products, they hand you cash over the counter. This way they have time to cancel a check if said copper was deemed to have been stolen. From what the scrap dealer told me, it really cut down on the meth heads stealing copper. No more instant reward, too high a risk of getting caught before your money showed up.
That stereotype is no joke lol. I took a load of scrap I was saving up to the scrapyard when I was moving. If I ever want to try meth, I know exactly where to go lol.

suladas

Biggest problem with roads like that is the idiots on them. Had nasty freezing rain a few times this winter like that and it's tough to drive in for sure, but it's the people who have no idea how to drive that make it 1000x worse.

Truck Shop

Here's a freight rate overload-A 42,000 lb net load of processed potatoes shipping point Rigby Id to Atlanta
is paying $13,000 and the broker had a hard time finding a truck for that, trucking companies wanted $15,000.
1 1/2 years ago it payed $7,000.

suladas

Here's a freight rate overload-A 42,000 lb net load of processed potatoes shipping point Rigby Id to Atlanta
is paying $13,000 and the broker had a hard time finding a truck for that, trucking companies wanted $15,000.
1 1/2 years ago it payed $7,000.

Dahm that's insane money, i'm in the wrong business.

Although I still don't think I could drive a truck all day even for that kind of money.

Truck Shop

How do you write an accident report on something like that? I mean those trucks appeared to be stopped and just drifted sideways in to the cars.

Well the first problem was the truck driver left himself with no out-supers will get you.
Rule #1 find a spot on the low side or in the rough.
#2 don't pull up in clogged traffic-it leaves you no out.
#3 If it's that slick park it or put some chains on.

colson04

Well the first problem was the truck driver left himself with no out-supers will get you.
Rule #1 find a spot on the low side or in the rough.
#2 don't pull up in clogged traffic-it leaves you no out.
#3 If it's that slick park it or put some chains on.

Darn true. I am as guilty as the next person about not realizing I gave up my outs before it was too late.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Drivers of cars, especially drivers of Subaru cars place themselves in harm's way predictably. Seth just got his CDL, I'd have to fight him to drive. He drove off, truck & trailer with backhoe while I was still loading materials in the van. I got to the turn off a paved quiet town road, into a development. He was waiting. The driveway we were going to is very long, more of a Y off the narrow paved development road. He wanted to back to his right into the development road, and down the very windy road 1/4 mile to better bake the turn into the driveway surrounded by fence & bushes.
I blocked traffic with my van from one direction backing diagonally across both lanes while he got off the town road. He was efficient about backing in despite turning to his right.
The back down the many turns in the development road was slow. A Range Rover came behind me. Despite me being in center of the 16' wide road with flashers & he had a good view of the big truck with trailer, he was trying desperately to squeeze past us. Eventually he figured out he HAD to wait, put on his flashers & followed.
A Subaru came behind the Range Rover. He was determined he was passing. Range Rover & I teamed to prevent that.
Before backing into the driveway, Seth stopped to allow them to pass.
Before the truck & trailer were into the driveway, the Subaru had turned around! He was back being impatient again!

skyking1

park and put on some chains, or my favorite, park. If you chain the drives and hang drag chains that does not stop the steers from going sideways. I did that 3 weeks ago, the truck just kept pushing the steers at the curb. I could not wish myself back to the yard so I kept milking it till I got a slight cut going.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On the rock to the church haul and haul off, I would return from haul away, had to make a 90 degree turn into a narrow alley with not one but TWO utility poles one standing guard at each side, so turn signal ON, Brake Lights on Opposite side ON and swing JUST a Bit into the common turn lane then swing Hard right could nearly ALWAYS see a IDJIT in the Mirror looking to cut thru on the right. WTH are these morons thinking, NOT just one or two but EVERY Damn Time. Then get to hauling rock, move into turn lane from other direction and hug the right edge line, got horns nearly every time as if was gonna cut in front of them. Nearly All of them would go half a block to a gas station or slip into a adjoining parking space. Had one Dumass decide the Alley entrance was a parking spot, I actually got out and told him to move it or calling cops, mumbled something but moved and just down the street into a cross painted NO Parking spot, upon leaving DID Call Hermann's Finest.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If have Google Earth or Google Maps, can see what we had to work from just S and E of St George Church on 4th St Hermann.

work site_LI.jpg

Two large white roofs Parochial school, active traffic ALL day for K-6th grades. Small hand drawn box with three Xs is site we removed and refilled with rock, had to come up and return down the Alley due to school traffic, white gravel area was earlier parking and is still there. The Tree line is essentially a Bluff face just S of the Alley. Can see Pole Shadows on Street at alley entry

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Drivers of cars, especially drivers of Subaru cars place themselves in harm's way predictably. Seth just got his CDL, I'd have to fight him to drive. He drove off, truck & trailer with backhoe while I was still loading materials in the van. I got to the turn off a paved quiet town road, into a development. He was waiting. The driveway we were going to is very long, more of a Y off the narrow paved development road. He wanted to back to his right into the development road, and down the very windy road 1/4 mile to better bake the turn into the driveway surrounded by fence & bushes.
I blocked traffic with my van from one direction backing diagonally across both lanes while he got off the town road. He was efficient about backing in despite turning to his right.
The back down the many turns in the development road was slow. A Range Rover came behind me. Despite me being in center of the 16' wide road with flashers & he had a good view of the big truck with trailer, he was trying desperately to squeeze past us. Eventually he figured out he HAD to wait, put on his flashers & followed.
A Subaru came behind the Range Rover. He was determined he was passing. Range Rover & I teamed to prevent that.
Before backing into the driveway, Seth stopped to allow them to pass.
Before the truck & trailer were into the driveway, the Subaru had turned around! He was back being impatient again!
Whole new Subaru driver story today:
Seth was unloading the backhoe on a secondary road with no shoulder. I had the van with flashers 100 feet away & three triangles spaced out to warn drivers in my lane.
A Subaru approached in the other lane, I'll say 50 MPH in a 35 MPH speed zone, never let up a bit despite passing a couple feet from Seth. I stepped to the center of his lane. At first I thought he wasn't going to slow for me either, but he did. I asked: "Would it kill you to slow down for this?"
He responded: "Stay in the cab, or on the trailer no problem."
I: "What if somebody doesn't see you coming?" "Diesels running, they might not hear you."
He: "That's not my problem."
I: "You kill somebody, you might be wrong."
He came back with an insult.
I: "You sir, are an asshole!"
He was still suggesting my parents weren't married as he drove out of sight.