• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

In the early morning hours on my way to work if someone is pushing me, there is a certain spot where I
pull over and the pusher can't help but mash the pedal as they pass. 35% of the time there is a cop that
likes to park obscured by a chain link fence. 35% of the time the blues come on.:)

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Once again, can Miraculously come up with a ACCIDENTALLY Dropped or Tossed piece of lumber (Cribbing) or a loose Tool like a shovel or a Come a long that broke or a cleanup broom and got in the way!! They lose tires at speed will reconsider ever being too close to a scene again as will those attempting to avoid That carnage. I could also muster a half dollar of Pennies, "Sorry Officer, Had my hand in my Pocket the Car got so Close and I startled from it pulled hand out so quick brought the change TOO."
I'd like to expand on your though. We have a number of crate pieces assembled with staples 2-4' long both ends like porcupines with staples sticking out. "I was so startled, I dropped it."

Decades ago, we had Brian. Local bad boy, youngest of 5 sibling boys. Spoiled rotten by his mother, he was destined for trouble! Mommy spent the family's last dollar to buy him a Smokey & the Bandit Firebird. He must have thought we were friends of some sort, this 35 MPH residential street continued up to National Forest Road 10. There were no speed patrols on either Town road or Federal.
Brian would fly through at 70 MPH a few times a day on a weekday, ten times on a weekend day. He'd lay on the horn 1/10th mile before to 1/10 mile past. I caught up to him one day, explained I was going to cut the horn wires on that @#$%^&*))_ car. I'd likely cut several other wires. After that, the horn blowing stopped, but frequency of passes did NOT diminish.

Father had some military armor piercing 308 ammo. One Sunday, my niece & nephew were here, neighbors had their grandchildren on their front lawn, Artie had had enough! Brian went up. What goes up must come down. When he came down Father was sitting in his lawn chair 308 in hand. As he drew a bead on the Firebird. Brian locked the brakes. Then he must have rethought that logic, floored it.

Later that day, the town constable next town came: "Brian says you tried to shoot him."
Dad answered: "Not him, that engine block. & I wasn't going to shoot first time anyway. I was waiting to see if he came back."

After that day, I'd hear the car roaring at 70, he'd slow to speed limit as he passed, then roar just past the corner.

Brian was later tried for murdering his best friend, shooting him in the back of the head through the back window of a car as he drove away. It was declared a mistrial because a juror asked the bailiff outside the courtroom how far 90 yards was. The bailiff showed him.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I was a snoose user for years. If you chew or smoke, you know there is a sweet spot when the window is opened a bit where there is low pressure and the air {spit) is sucked out of the vehicle. I discovered that a few targeted shots usually got the tailgater to pass or back off.

dieseldog5.9

Videos of where arrogance, entitlement, impatience and ignorance collide.

Turns out when you load a tag trailer heavy in the back it gets out of control, who knew :p

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The rolling crap house near the end is great.

Actually, law dictates tow equipment. My first camper was terrifying. The salesman who sold it assured me a 3/4 ton (8600 LB) van needed no special tow hitch equipment. I made a few local trips, but my first 1000 mile round trip, I considered turning back.
I passed a tiny sign on a secondary road. It said "trailer hitches." I passed, then turned around. The proprietor wanted to finish his sandwich, but assured me he could fix. Half hour later, I had sway control. I replaced that sway control 20 years later, it got rusty.

Tyler d4c

In the early morning hours on my way to work if someone is pushing me, there is a certain spot where I
pull over and the pusher can't help but mash the pedal as they pass. 35% of the time there is a cop that
likes to park obscured by a chain link fence. 35% of the time the blues come on.:)
Thats cruel great but cruel:)

Truck Shop

Thats cruel great but cruel:)

Some years back when I had my 84 Dodge 150-It had nice Hooker mandrel bent twice pipes with
glass packs. Had a nice low rumble. There was this pos Suburban that was parked along the arterial
on the way the way to work-every time I drove by the exhaust vibes would set off the alarm in that
crapped out Suburban.
One morning on the way to work I was thinking I could take my time, not much going on that day.
I drove by the Suburban alarm goes off-I look in my mirror-I could see the guy running out to shut
it off. I grinned. I took the next left, around the block I went pulled over and parked waited five minutes
then drove back by and set the alarm off again. Looked in my mirror and this time the lights came on
in all the neighboring houses. That was the last time he set the alarm.:)

84 Dodge Rear.jpg 84 Dodge Left.jpg

Tyler d4c

TS you pulling over reminds me of when I worked at the cat dealer. I had a hour drive each way so we all get on the 4 lane and id pass them all. One older fella kept telling me I was the bait never did get a ticket on that drive tho I deserved many speeding tickets and for running well red yellows.......

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Some years back when I had my 84 Dodge 150-It had nice Hooker mandrel bent twice pipes with
glass packs. Had a nice low rumble. There was this pos Suburban that was parked along the arterial
on the way the way to work-every time I drove by the exhaust vibes would set off the alarm in that
crapped out Suburban.
One morning on the way to work I was thinking I could take my time, not much going on that day.
I drove by the Suburban alarm goes off-I look in my mirror-I could see the guy running out to shut
it off. I grinned. I took the next left, around the block I went pulled over and parked waited five minutes
then drove back by and set the alarm off again. Looked in my mirror and this time the lights came on
in all the neighboring houses. That was the last time he set the alarm.:)

View attachment 251983 View attachment 251984
My whole childhood I watched the USForest Service vehicles. The purchasing agent must have been a putz! I never actually saw the bid solicitation, but I know what it said: "Truck, four wheels". 90 % of USFS pickups were 1/2 ton Dodge stepside, 2 wheel drive 225 slant six. They had either three speed on the floor, or column. All got Forest Service green paint inside & out.
I still hear the clang when you closed a door.

In 1990 I had a new Chevy van, got caught in a tiny traffic jam. Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder just came out. Tom's character was taught to drive faster toward an obstruction, the cars will be gone by the time he got to them.

This day that proved bad advice, and a 17 year old in a Mazda RX7, fourth car since getting his license, accelerated as he approached, No where to go, he hit me broadside.
In the mean time the dealer loaned me a 1986 Dodge van. 225 slant six, four speed stick exited the floor mid load bed. The stick must have been 6 feet long. It wobbled around so bad, I had to feel for it or look for the knob to shift. The same tin on tin clang shutting a door as a 1974 Forest Service pickup. Truth is, it was fun to drive.

Truck Shop

Yeah-well that that one didn't clang-and it had a 318 roller block with a Campbell 390 cu.in stroker kit.
266 duration roller cam roller rockers idled smooth, with the Dodge SB 302 heads, 625 cfm real Carter, Summit ready to run
distributor. A high dollar 727 with limited slip. Would kill a good running chevy or ford.

Old Doug

I had a 1984 Dodge van slant 6 4 speed od . It was i think 4 years old one of the newest things i have ever owned but it was a clark lift work van. It had one seat and was in bad shape. I rebuilt the engine replaced alot of parts in the trans. I liked it other than i never drove it in the snow it was help less.

crane operator

I can use some parts off this, wonder if they mind I just hitch up and drag it home. :D

Looks to me like if you want any of it- you better get it quick, because its headed to the scrapper.

It did have one heck of a ripper on the back. Farmerlund should have had that whole ripper set up for his tile plow mount.

suladas

I know I wouldn't want to be close to that thing on the road, if all the flying dirt doesn't get you, once it's all gone the thing won't even be tied down on the left side anymore it might come off the trailer and get you :eek:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah-well that that one didn't clang-and it had a 318 roller block with a Campbell 390 cu.in stroker kit.
266 duration roller cam roller rockers idled smooth, with the Dodge SB 302 heads, 625 cfm real Carter, Summit ready to run
distributor. A high dollar 727 with limited slip. Would kill a good running chevy or ford.
I meant no offense, only relating my take on 1970 to 1986 Dodge low bid trucks. I don't hate Dodge, my pride & joy is a 1956 Power wagon with two PTO winches & dump body I built. Yes, there is a dodge clang when I close a door.
I once owned two 1936 Dodge trucks 1/2 ton & 1-1/2 ton. I sold them to brothers 20 miles away. They totally restored the bigger truck. I see it at shows. They promised I could drive it some day. One brother died, His son has taken over management of the LARGE antique collection. He has promised one day I'll get to drive it. They were sweet trucks, both 216 Cubic inch flat head six. If there was a difference in engines, I couldn't say. Bigger truck had lower gear ratio in rear. I'd say nothing remarkable in transmission. Bigger truck was four speed, smaller truck was three, I believe three top gears were the same ratio with only an extra low in the four speed.

Last edited:

skyking1

I had one of those real carter 625 new out of the box, what a great piece of kit. I had it on a 302 Ford in a 66 mustang, that accelerator pump would just twist the tires off idle with nary a hesitation, with 2.80 gears! I scabbed it all together with a toploader 4 speed and really the wrong Mcleod flywheel, but I didn't know any better.