• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
View attachment 251188 This one was tougher. Broken radius rod right on the street. Plenty of warm up breaks in the truck. I’ve been doing this 40 years and still get a kick out of it. Each day brings new challenges. As the owner/boss I lead by example and don’t expect a hired man to do anything I wouldn’t. I have some good people in place and treat them according.

Happy New year everyone and may 2022 bring an end to the chaos Covid has/is causing.
At lease the vehicle you are working on has a built in jack......

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Not much width of roads in Winnipeg compared to out here in Alberta. Most of the roads were concrete with expansion joints. Must make it difficult to clean when people don't move their cars off the street. It's been a long time since I have been back there. Do they use more asphalt now?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yes handy for sure. At that point the tire had been removed for access to the irksome part.
I know you are working out in the field under not nice conditions but I would like to see a block or jack under the axle. Hate to have someone climb in cab to get out of the wind and bump a lever.

DB2

I know you are working out in the field under not nice conditions but I would like to see a block or jack under the axle. Hate to have someone climb in cab to get out of the wind and bump a lever.
That was the just the time the picture was taken right after the tire came off. We set the hub on the ground when we were actually changing the rod.

DB2

Not much width of roads in Winnipeg compared to out here in Alberta. Most of the roads were concrete with expansion joints. Must make it difficult to clean when people don't move their cars off the street. It's been a long time since I have been back there. Do they use more asphalt now?

All new streets are concrete. Old ones are frequently overlaid with asphalt.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Re: the load of pallets. I work in an industrial area and everybody leaves their spare pallets in stacks by the road to give to those that need them.

They seem to disappear very fast these days and have seen similarly loaded pickup trucks departing the area headed for the city I presume.

Is there a pallet shortage to go along with every other shortage that makes them more valuable than usual?

Queenslander

Is there a pallet shortage to go along with every other shortage that makes them more valuable than usual?
There certainly is over here.
A shortage of suitable timber to build new ones and a shortage of workers to repair old ones.
In the lead up to Xmas there were rumours of a likely beer shortage because of a pallet shortfall.
Thankfully that hasn’t happened yet... a beer less summer would be unbearable.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This fella pulled out basically in front of me then moved to the shoulder, did not catch that had 7 each side bottom rows and six across the top(20 5x5 bales) should be around 1000-1400# a bale, on a tandem dually goose and a Single Axle tractor, IL plates. Three Ropes, end to end and Two ratchet Straps one across Each End.
IMG_9896.JPG IMG_9897.JPG

crane operator

I don't know if they are more valuable than normal, but they are like meth money by me. The "haulers" go around and pick up or steal the pallets, transport them to a buyer, they used to be worth around $3 each.

The last guy I know that was doing it, was hauling them sometimes from here to Kansas City, which is about 4 hours away, because they paid more. I couldn't see how he was making much over fuel $$$.

Usually they have either a pickup or gooseneck trailer with them stacked to the sky. I have a neighbor that's in the game, and they're a bunch of meth heads - who have surrounded their house with a pallet farm. I'll get a picture of it. I cynically look at it as one step above stealing catalytic converters.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Our pathetic 'Neighbor' that was once a owner of our place "collects" Aluminum and Copper, cans, AC Condensers, piping all manner of the stuff, it sits inside a shack on his place where I know price was high enough to make good money and he just sat on it. Found out later that was just after the required Photo ID and Name to be on large salvage volumes. NONE of it ever moves now.

Shimmy1

Our pathetic 'Neighbor' that was once a owner of our place "collects" Aluminum and Copper, cans, AC Condensers, piping all manner of the stuff, it sits inside a shack on his place where I know price was high enough to make good money and he just sat on it. Found out later that was just after the required Photo ID and Name to be on large salvage volumes. NONE of it ever moves now.
You would think he'd be trying to peddle it off $30-50 at a time...

colson04

Found out later that was just after the required Photo ID and Name to be on large salvage volumes. NONE of it ever moves now.

At the local scrap yards here, if you bring in more than $25 worth of copper, you will be mailed a check. For steel or aluminum products, they hand you cash over the counter. This way they have time to cancel a check if said copper was deemed to have been stolen. From what the scrap dealer told me, it really cut down on the meth heads stealing copper. No more instant reward, too high a risk of getting caught before your money showed up.

suladas

That would be nice if it changed here, but I think the scrap yards like how much money it makes them, if they believe it's stolen they can offer next to nothing.