• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With the Dump Truck I have a LOOSE Shovel or a Broom for cleanout at hand, A--hole plays that game the shovel is sacrificed. Seen it done more than once; "Ooops, sorry, musta slipped outa my hand,, And How fast were you really going?"

When working off a trailer a sacrificed boomer or a loose chain end will really tear up some stuff.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
A bar, shovel or cinch is just wrong. I had a friend, long passed now, kept a small bucket of gravel at his feet to throw out the window. He said the drivers threw it back to the trailer and tailgaters and hi beamers got peppered. Who knew where the rocks came from? A rock kicked or tossed is much more deniable.

suladas

The best for people roaring past a jobsite on a really quiet residential street is pulling out in front of them with a piece of equipment. If they can't stop in time without an issue they are going way too fast. I have zero patience for people doing 30-40 mph only a few feet beside you while trying to work and in most cases going over posted limit.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We always squeeze people way down with cones and trucks so they can run the Daytona 500 next to us lol
When I plan ahead, I set up a slalom course with road cones. They can blast through at speed, bit they will damage their Subaru. Didn't have cones with me yesterday. Would have unloaded in the driveway, but the lady who owns the place is doing the Air B&B thing & there were 5 cars in the driveway. She had notified them we would be there, some had moved their cars to a place we could work around.
Sure enough, one guy waited for me to get set up, then opened the garage door. Sure enough, there were two cars in the garage.
I asked if he needed to get out?
He: "If you're only going to be here a few minutes you are fine."
I: "No, we'll be here hours."
He: "I'll have to ask you to move in a couple hours."

Minutes later, I wanted to get into the cellar to check for any wires or pipes exiting the building. Doors were locked, no answer at any doors when I knocked, despite a dog flipping out barking furiously!

I hate renters!

dieseldog5.9

The Vermont state car is the Subaru.

A friend of mine after 20 years of driving dump truck decided he was going to try his hand at driving for Fed Ex line haul, so 9pm to 7am from Burlington Vt to Springfield Mass if I am getting the story correct. First night no problem, there are check points throughout the night that they need to make or corporate office has a problem, as they are making connection flights at the airport.

Second night snowstorm, cant slowdown as they have to make the checkpoints, My buddy has the driver pull over and he hitch hikes home didnt think it was worth it to be pilled up in some ditch for no good reason.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician

A friend of mine after 20 years of driving dump truck decided he was going to try his hand at driving for Fed Ex line haul, so 9pm to 7am from Burlington Vt to Springfield Mass if I am getting the story correct. First night no problem, there are check points throughout the night that they need to make or corporate office has a problem, as they are making connection flights at the airport.

Second night snowstorm, cant slowdown as they have to make the checkpoints, My buddy has the driver pull over and he hitch hikes home didnt think it was worth it to be pilled up in some ditch for no good reason.
Don't get me wrong, Subaru is a suitable car. I just observe 8 out of 10 idiots causing a problem are driving Subaru. Of course, 6 out of 10 cars on Vermont roads are Subaru.

Keith Merrell

Don't get me wrong, Subaru is a suitable car. I just observe 8 out of 10 idiots causing a problem are driving Subaru. Of course, 6 out of 10 cars on Vermont roads are Subaru.
Around these parts its the new honda cars that pass you as you are accelerating, then go slower than the limit once they are in front of you only to make their turn into Dairy Queen... 4 Wheelers are concerned about everything but safety and courtesy while driving. Being up high in the truck you realize how many people are on the phone!!! :eek:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Around these parts its the new honda cars that pass you as you are accelerating, then go slower than the limit once they are in front of you only to make their turn into Dairy Queen... 4 Wheelers are concerned about everything but safety and courtesy while driving. Being up high in the truck you realize how many people are on the phone!!! :eek:
I'd say I average once a week somebody coming toward me crosses into my lane while they are texting. They used to hold their phone at the top of the steering wheel, these days they are in stealth mode, in their lap, or on the console.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer

I thought the state car of VT was the Prius....

Truck Shop

Wasn't on here much yesterday, was on a fetch picking up a break down-transmission electrical issues.
The boss was driving this one-----He couldn't believe how or why so many wouldn't move over to give
me room along side highway. Especially the trucks--I replied {How many of our own drivers do you
think don't don't move over? I bet 50%}.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Wasn't on here much yesterday, was on a fetch picking up a break down-transmission electrical issues.
The boss was driving this one-----He couldn't believe how or why so many wouldn't move over to give
me room along side highway. Especially the trucks--I replied {How many of our own drivers do you
think don't don't move over? I bet 50%}.
Vermont, it's law. Move over. If you can't move over, slow down. I'm not saying a majority comply with the law, quite the contrary! Some speed up.

Old Doug

There are a lot of laws here to but its like the wild west. I wish they would crack down on some stuff. I got stopped behind the school 35 in a 25 didnt get a ticket but if you do 25 there will be a car wanting to push you . Why dont the set up a camera in these spots?

dieseldog5.9

Between myself and my business partner, I do most of the trucking, I would bet twice a day pulling into the jobsite I have a ridiculous story about being on the road, Its like the world is out to get you, high alert all of the time waiting for some random attack.

Also snow tires, you can have an all wheel drive whatever that gives you all the confidence in the world, but tires stop cars not brakes.

I put Hakkapeliitta studded tires on a front wheel drive Toyota Corolla, never had an issue.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Once again, can Miraculously come up with a ACCIDENTALLY Dropped or Tossed piece of lumber (Cribbing) or a loose Tool like a shovel or a Come a long that broke or a cleanup broom and got in the way!! They lose tires at speed will reconsider ever being too close to a scene again as will those attempting to avoid That carnage. I could also muster a half dollar of Pennies, "Sorry Officer, Had my hand in my Pocket the Car got so Close and I startled from it pulled hand out so quick brought the change TOO."

hosspuller

tailgaters ... I've always thought of an old muffler rigged on a drop mechanism. Only thing that stops me is the risk of getting an innocent. Even thought of used oil in the rear washer tank. Unfortunately... IN NC ... it's a felony thanks to the Jr. Johnson and Lee Petty types. :rolleyes:See link.
When a tailgater gets too close, washing my windshield seems to make them back off. ;)

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/new...,of the largest spectator sports in the world.