• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Poclain Excavator

snowmobile

""I would love to buy one if one is available!!! "" we have one in MI if it is the 120 you are talking about...she is ruff but the price is rite

Komatsu 150

The first machine I learned how to run was a 977K... then the RC 200 on my grandfather's development company. I was 13. You had to be an octopus to run it. Ours was different from what I've seen, it had two foot controls for the stick and bucket. I'm now 31... the Poclain has been gone for 2 years now, it had to go once we built the new house to help pay for it. I really regret cutting it up. Saved all the motors and pumps, but then Rapid Hydraulics backed out, so they got scrapped, he does have the engine. It would dig rock like no other machine I've run since. It was so slow... could eat lunch between buckets, but wow it would pull anything apart. We had 2 RC 200's 3 GC 120's and a 100. We "modernized" with a Case 170B... it was junk, then Pap went out of business. I still have Dad's 888 with 6600 hours on it, needs the punps rebuilt, but works on the farm. It has been replaced with a Kobelco 160. The Polcain literally had 15,000 hours it in... 4th engine, atleast 3 set of pumps. I would love to buy one if one is available!!!

Good grief, did I take that wrong? 4 engines in 15000 hours is terrible.

Casepoclain

Occupation
Farming/ Realtor
Rc 200

4 engines in 15,000 hours... well may be it was 4 engines between the 2 RC 200's... I was pretty young back then. I know it was last rebuilt in 1995 by Stauffers in Harrisburg, then retired to farm duty in 1996. I know one was locked up by the genious operator (changed oil and forgot the drain plug, so that was his first and last day at work). My grandfather liked Deutz so well, we had 3 Deutz farm tractors, the one probably had nearly 10,000 on the factory engine.

No real use for the 120, really looking for the RC 200. If you have some pictures of the 120 and price, let me know... I talk to lots of people around here.

Dominion 410

Rc-200

Casepoclain,your 200's were set-up with the same controls I used to operate.From the factory,they had a pedal attached to the bucket control lever.A second pedal was usually added to the stick control lever to make operating a little easier.I know where there is a RC-200 about 80 miles from here.The owner does'nt want to part with it yet,but would sure like to see it in the yard here someday.I have some pictures posted on here of one of the 200's my dad and uncles had.

Dominion:canada

Casepoclain

Occupation
Farming/ Realtor
I would like to find one too, I'm glad to hear there are still some around. If I had one it would probably be painted up nice and sit infront of the shop, and visit the steam show 2x a year. We live very near Brownsville, Pa with the National Steam and Gas Show.

So those pedals weren't unique to ours? The one I learned on had the stick in the right foot and the bucket in the left if memory serves, but the one that was junked first only had a stick pedal, which was a pain to switch machines. They looked like someone took a torch and chopped the lever off and attached the pedal. Couldn't tell if that was homemade.

Dominion 410

levers

I've seen them set-up like ours with the stick control on a pedal,and also with the swing on a pedal.Not to fussy about the foot swing,imo.The 200's were good machines and had good power for there size.They had three speed travel,back when most other's had single speed.There was a selector lever beside the operators seat that had three postions.If the selector was placed in the middle postion,the second hydraulic pump would help in the travel.The second pump helped when making a heavy lift,reducing the attachment speed but really boosting lift capacity.
One thing I really notice compared to today's equipment is in the undercarriage.The track frames were short but higher in design as compared to say a Cat 330.But when digging in tough going such as rock trench,the 200's seemed quite solid on there feet.The 330's seem to not have this going for them.
The Poclain HC-300 was by far the strongest backhoe that I have had dealings with in the fifty ton range. One of those would give a Cat 345 a go anyday in a straight lift.Not as fast digging wise,but put a 60" wide bucket on a 345 in hardpan,our 300 had a 60" bucket 2 7/8 cu.yd. and it would literally have sparks coming off the bucket teeth.It was plain tough,and with the wrong operator would pull itself apart.The 345's don't have enough weight built into them,at least in the fixed guage undercarriage.

poclain holland

Occupation
demolition highreach operator
My first restored 1966, poclain TC45 in the Netherlands
note the tracks for the dutch wet grounds
the 3rd foto is a standard layout of poclain levers

Attachments

• Almere 2006....jpg
    Almere 2006....jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5,657
  • Almere2006,.jpg
    Almere2006,.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5,365
  • 100-0014_IMG.jpg
    100-0014_IMG.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4,368

Dominion 410

Tc45

That is a nice looking restoration:drinkup:drinkup.
Having spent my share of time on a RC-200,am well versed with the lever set-up.The two levers directly in front of the operator are for travel,one for each track.The lever bank from left to right,1-bucket,2-red lever is for swing,3-stick or arm,4-boom.The picture with the operator in it shows him holding the two levers for boom and stick with one hand.Swing was left hand,and bucket was on a foot pedal or lever.Lot's of operators used them like that.Some places used to set-up a second pedal on the stick lever.We had them like that.A little getting used to, but those machines could do a decent day's work.Easier to repair and maintain than todays machines by far.May be not as fast or fancy,but they will get the job done.A steady pace and lack of wasted movements wins every time.
As a modern day operator being productive,most would get onto them fairly easily.Might curse a little at first,but it's mind over machine.

Dominion

poclain holland

Occupation
demolition highreach operator
thanks Dominion, its me operating my poclain. if your poclain become older
you need longer fingers on your right hand to operate the levers.
now I found an International 3964 excavator to restore, a new project.
I hope to see your RC200 pics in the future.

Dominion 410

pics

Hi,Poclain Holland

Have some pictures of one of the 200's on this thread on page 8.My father and uncles had three RC-200's,an HC-300(with 12 cyl.Deutz engine)and a Poclain 220(V-10 Deutz engine).Got a lot of hard work out of those machines.They were always in tough digging,rock trench,hard pan,frozen ground in the winter month's.Back before we had bought the first hydraulic breaker in the region.An NPK H14X breaker was installed on one of the 200's in 1980.Equipment Domar from Montreal did the installation in our shop.It was quite the attachment to have working,and saved alot of unecessary labour and breakdowns.

opeltwinturbo

I would like to find one too, I'm glad to hear there are still some around. If I had one it would probably be painted up nice and sit infront of the shop, and visit the steam show 2x a year. We live very near Brownsville, Pa with the National Steam and Gas Show.

So those pedals weren't unique to ours? The one I learned on had the stick in the right foot and the bucket in the left if memory serves, but the one that was junked first only had a stick pedal, which was a pain to switch machines. They looked like someone took a torch and chopped the lever off and attached the pedal. Couldn't tell if that was homemade.

With the inventory you described your Grandfather must be Charlie Metz? If so, he was a customer of mine during the 70's and early 80's. Linda was buying the stuff then. Yard was off I70. Small world. You got the 120's from Beckwith Machinery in the early 70's(the Cat dealer). Didn't he also have a big MF 88 front end loader?

Casepoclain

Occupation
Farming/ Realtor
You are correct! Those 120's came new? I know Beckwith was a Poclain dealer before Cat started making their own machines. Pap passed away in 2002 and Linda managed to not probate the will and she ended up with everything, cut most of it up to feed her coke habit. My Dad was Randy, he did a lot of the sewer and water lines and some of the strip mining. I didn't come until the last 70's, so I don't remember any of the wheel loaders, but I know they had a Hough 400, but anything is possible. Do you remember the Deutz tractors? I have one of them.

Last edited:

casborn

I was Poclain Factory Rep for 22 years. Beginning 1969 Till 1991. I have some relief valves for older Poclain, HC300, GC120, LC80. Pump valve removal tools for the same models (note: you will not be able to remove the pump valves without these tools). Misc O Rings. If you need anything, please let me know.

I own a Poclain HC300 with a Deutz engine. I use it in a quarry and it work fine and strong. Let me know what you have (you could send me pictures and price by email). Let me know were I could get a good service manuel for my Poclain.

Thanks in advance.

lecoousi

Hi folks i own a Poclain p60 tracked excavator and i need help getting a few parts eg i need a hydraulic slewing/swing motor or spares for one would you guys be able to help. This must be a common fault in these machines as my slewing motor is actually one of a P90 that has been modified to fit so getting one the same from a P90 would probably be the easiest option.D4C24A or Nick would you have any part numbers or manuals for this P90 motor and a contact number for the Sedgemoor Plant yard or similar breakers so that i can get my baby up and running again? Any help will be much appreciated. By the way im in Northern Ireland so if you know of any breakers over here it would be great.
Thanks
Lecousi

Fixing-it

Hi Paul
I noticed from your thread that you have worked on Poclains in the past.I wondered if you could give me some advice.The pump on my old Leibherr excavator has packed up (can't get a replacement at a sensible price) and I have been told I could use a Poc 75 triple pump as a substitute?
My question is on the triple pump was one of the outputs set at servo pressure and if so which one? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks