• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Poclain Excavator

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Hi All,

I am not sure how popular the French range of excavators "Poclain" were in the US or if you even had them over there??
But here are some shots of an old Poclain TY45 that I recently discovered on a farm in Cornwall England, Quite a strange looking machine with its Triangular base with two small wheels at the front for steering.

These machines were first introduced in the year of my birth 1961!!
This particular model is an early 70's version.

I have recently completed an article about this machine for a British plant magazine that I do a bit for called Classic Plant & Machinery.

So guys any Poclain photos to share??

Attachments

• DSCF0436.JPG
    DSCF0436.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 23,437
  • DSCF0437.JPG
    DSCF0437.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 25,712

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
A few more photos....:)

Attachments

• TY45 05.JPG
    TY45 05.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 19,795
  • TY45 Nick at the controls.JPG
    TY45 Nick at the controls.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 19,706
  • TY45 Cab & controls!!.JPG
    TY45 Cab & controls!!.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 19,487

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Ah I see that's interesting would be nice to see if anyone has any photos from the States.

I once operated a Poclain 60 cutting V-ditches back in the 80's as you say it was a good machine.

Sadly they are no more after being gobbled up by the mighty Case organization in 1987.

Here is a picture of a TY45 that has been restored in the town of Crepy in France and is on permanant display near to where the old factory used to be.

Photos courtesy of Peter Happel

Attachments

• TY45 preserved in France.JPG
    TY45 preserved in France.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 21,844
  • TY45 preserved in France 02.JPG
    TY45 preserved in France 02.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 19,834

surfer-joe

When I worked for a equipment dealer in south Florida back in the early seventies, they were the largest seller of Poclain excavators in the world for a while. For one thing, Poclain was one of the very few excavators that would dig coral rock without it being ripped or shot. This was on account of the high hydraulic pressures the machines had. The 120 crawler was our big seller. Deutz engines, large & powerful swing and tram motors, but the swing gear assembly was the machines weakest point. The boom and stick were weak as well if you steadily dug in the coral. We also had a few models out on rubber tires, a real rarity for the day.

We had the only factory trained mechanic between Cuba and New Jersey. Our engine man could rebuild Deutz engines in his sleep and probably did, he looked like the face in the old Hastings's filter ads.

Nice machines, but Poclain never did put an effective marketing or dealer organization together in North America and they went away. I've never seen one west of the big muddy.

Truckie

Very interesting machine. I never saw anything like this before. Thanks for the pics.
When I first saw the ca b it reminded me of a Case and even a Lebher.
Don’t know why, but that thought just popped in to my mind.

bigblueox

Poclain 160

Hi i was searching around for Poclain info and i found your post. I am getting a Poclain 160 hoe in a few hours. My boss purchased it from a dealer who specalizes in old pocalin part as well as case excavator parts too. this is web site. Does any one have any more pics? i will post some soon!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
There were a few around here along with Drott another brand Case bought up. The Drott Cruizair was a common excavator on rubber tires there were a few old crawler machines with screaming jimmy power.

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Hi i was searching around for Poclain info and i found your post. I am getting a Poclain 160 hoe in a few hours. My boss purchased it from a dealer who specalizes in old pocalin part as well as case excavator parts too. this is web site. Does any one have any more pics? i will post some soon!

OK continuing with the old Poclain photos, Here are some shots of a 220 backhoe that I saw for sale recently at a plant sales yard here in the West Country of England.

It was sold to a guy who already has a Poclain 90 and a 61.

Attachments

• DSCF0428.JPG
    DSCF0428.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 18,538
  • DSCF0425.JPG
    DSCF0425.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 19,046
  • DSCF0424.JPG
    DSCF0424.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 19,386
  • DSCF0429.JPG
    DSCF0429.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 18,563

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
And also some Poclains for spares or repair!!

These old machines are lying in what can only be described as a machine graveyard in Somerset England.

Attachments

• DSCF0467.JPG
    DSCF0467.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 18,710
  • DSCF0499.JPG
    DSCF0499.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 18,451
  • DSCF0491.JPG
    DSCF0491.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 18,239

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
More "Dead or Alive" Poclains!!

Attachments

• DSCF0433.JPG
    DSCF0433.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 18,328
  • DSCF0434.JPG
    DSCF0434.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 18,028
  • DSCF0492.JPG
    DSCF0492.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 17,919
  • DSCF0493.JPG
    DSCF0493.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 17,754

d4c24a

poclains

hi nick nice pictures, that yard would it be sedgemoor plant by any chance
i have some workshop manuals somewhere for old poclains
the old yard here in hook has just been demoed by two volvos and two hitachi,s :D

jhill

I am helping build a campground on an old gravelpit. At the back of the property is some old machinery. One piece is a big old Case excavator. It is tagged as Made by Poclain. It has a big old Jimmy diesel in it. Its a big machine.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF bigblueox! :drinkup

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
hi nick nice pictures, that yard would it be sedgemoor plant by any chance
i have some workshop manuals somewhere for old poclains
the old yard here in hook has just been demoed by two volvos and two hitachi,s :D

Yes D4c, I think that yard is called Sedgemoor Plant run by a bit of a strange chap who contacted me after one of my letters was published in CP&M, he seemed to be a bit secretive and said if I published any of the photos in CP&M he didn't want to be named???

He had a load of old machines up there which were quite interesting to see.

So you live up near Hook then? I have been up to the old Case/CRMS yard many times in the past, as I was born & lived most of my life in Southampton and we used to whizz up there for spares.

Cheers

Nick