• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New T-Mar Grapple Yarder

Plebeian

There is a global market for log haulers/ yarders. Some yarders have been sold back to North America from NZ in recent years. Other yarders have been sent onto places like Africa from NZ after being rebuilt/ reconditioned.
I saw the numbers a while back as a higher proportion the NZ tree harvest moves into steeper ground therewill be a need for quite a few more new/ reconditioned? haulers/ super yoaders in NZ. Economics might mean some smaller areas of steep ground with trees could be left unharvested.(cost of harvest/ road access construction exceeds value of harvested trees)

furpo

Ha ha. The stock of yarders down here is getting on so owners are deciding to replace old gear. Both machines which I refer to above 25+ year old yarders which have worked hard their whole lives. That and as plebeian says more yarder country is coming on

Born2clearcut

The new red and white yarder is heading for Sladey Timber based out of Pender Harbour. I think it's first setting will be in Dorston Sechelt inlet . They were looking for a good Hooker for it . Top knotch operator we'll be running it .

Born2clearcut

This thing has alot of bells and hopefully a whistle . Few items I been told is remote guylines a backup camera also told it has a grapple camera facing down I'm very interested in how good that works and how long it will live for . Nothing says abuse like something hanging on grapple while yarding.

Scott_527

One of my online friends operates Westerns LogChamp 650. He was kind enough to let me share these here. Says it's the best machine on the coast.

Attachments

• John2.jpg
    John2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • John3.jpg
    John3.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 89
  • John4.jpg
    John4.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 84
  • John5.jpg
    John5.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 86

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
I hear through the grapevine that WFP is going to buy one a year to modernize their yarders

wornout wrench

I wonder what will happen to all the 7280s? They have a pile of them, nice ones too.

Well Scott, that is a good question
If they are going to take all of my old girls away, I'll just have to leave!

Oh, wait.

I'm going to retire in June.

I guess I really don't care anymore hahaha

We are supposed to get another 650 soon. I believe the plan is for one of the 7280's to go to another division.

I pretty much stay in the shop now, don't get out to the bush that much anymore. I haven't even seen the 650 that we have. See if I can keep it that way until June hahaha.

Never thought that I would see the day when I gave up grapple yarders for trucks, but the old back is much happier this way. I'll leave it for the young guys now. Too many damn computers on these things now anyways.

Scott_527

Didn't a bunch of the 80's go for complete rebuilds around the early 2000's? Probably in need of some lovin' again by now though.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
One of the large contractors here is building a remote control grapple yarder as we speak. It is a pretty slick setup and I bet it will work very well.

No tools required . Just bring your laptop lol . Soon the yarders maybe fully remote control . Sit back from a distance and run the machine. The problem with that is remote control will take the fear factor out of yarding. Which may cause alot of damage to the machines.

Born2clearcut

One of the large contractors here is building a remote control grapple yarder as we speak. It is a pretty slick setup and I bet it will work very well.
Don't get me wrong Hallback I'm sure it will work just fine.I guess what I'm saying is the operator won't be able to feel what his machine is doing . The next problem well be . Does the operator become the hooktender or does the hooktender become the operator lol. The real question is when are they going to come up with a remote control hooktender moving blocks, straps and rigging trees ect . Anyhow all in all it will be interesting to see the Evolution of the industry.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Oh I agree with what you're saying completely. That is just like the remote control buncher and Harvesters. If you take the human element out of it then there is just on or off or working or not working there is no limp mode. LOL

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Or, like the exhibit in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, they were sitting in a bar, operating a D9 at some mine in Australia. Air conditioned, free drinks (oops, not a good idea,) show girls around (again, not a good idea.)

The up side; no getting up at 2AM making a cold lunch, driving an hour or more through rain, snow, slush just to get to work. Good Lord, I think I just talked myself into the plan, just throw another log on the fire and yard a few more turns in your jammies.

wornout wrench

Or, like the exhibit in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, they were sitting in a bar, operating a D9 at some mine in Australia. Air conditioned, free drinks (oops, not a good idea,) show girls around (again, not a good idea.)

The up side; no getting up at 2AM making a cold lunch, driving an hour or more through rain, snow, slush just to get to work. Good Lord, I think I just talked myself into the plan, just throw another log on the fire and yard a few more turns in your jammies.

The downside
Being the poor unappreciated mechanic that has to go out and put the grapple yarder that just pulled itself off the cliff back together.

I am soooo glad to be retiring before the kids who grew up playing grand theft auto get turned loose on a grapple yarder.

operator "Calling the shop"
shop"Go ahead"
Operator "Yeah, this is the operator of the Y-1. I just crashed the yarder. It is a flaming pile of metal on the side of the hill. Where is the rest button"
shop...Silence...