• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New T-Mar Grapple Yarder

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
We have been breaking in a number of young guys on equipment where I work. They all have turned out to be good operators but what they all seem to lack is the ability to know what is wrong with the machine. I have always helped the mechanic or he helped me depending on who knew more about the problem. Now the kids bail into the crummy and wait for it to be fixed leaving the mechanic to do it on his own most times. How do you ever learn any thing sitting in the bus looking at your phone

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
A couple of observations; assuming you are similar in age as I am, (60s) many of us grew up “messing around” with tools, either making things or in most cases I suspect, breaking things as we took them apart trying to figure them out. Most young people these days never did that. They have no idea how anything works and they never will, they have no interest. Thus they just become lever pullers. My wife and I both comment on the lack of mechanical understanding people under 40 have today, not all, but many. Think about how many young people get in auto accidents now. They do not even understand the mechanical law of inertia and thus cannot understand tailgating.

The other issue, is that so many people have become compartmentalized. I do this, I don’t do that. “NMJ” not my job. When I started in construction, if you saw something on the floor you picked it up to make the job safe. Now; “I didn’t leave it there, why should I pick it up?”

My first observation I put down to evolution, right or wrong. The second, I put down to bad parenting. What happened to looking out for others?

No great answers here, just observations in my geezerhood.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
We have been breaking in a number of young guys on equipment where I work. They all have turned out to be good operators but what they all seem to lack is the ability to know what is wrong with the machine. I have always helped the mechanic or he helped me depending on who knew more about the problem. Now the kids bail into the crummy and wait for it to be fixed leaving the mechanic to do it on his own most times. How do you ever learn any thing sitting in the bus looking at your phone

Of course some loudmouths you would rather have wait somewhere else while you do the repair your way and not the billy bob way.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If they were setting in the crunny while I worked on their machine it would be a no pay day if I had any say so. They had better be servicing the rest of the machine or cleaning it when I showed up. Them expectations have to be politely pounded into their head when they are hired. Any old timer would be automatically doing something to help. I suppose in a remote camp with no phone service it is about impossible to hire help.

dirty4fun

i see younger people all the time, either on the phone or computer instead of helping or cleaning up. i always wanted to know how i worked what made it do what it was supposed to do. Always did almost all the repairs on the farm, not that I new that much about it, I enjoyed fixing things. Still do enjoy working, and making or fixing things. I have a phone, but it is more a tool for business during work hours. If I get a call at work, I usually walk around picking up things, and get something so I am ready to work more when the call is done. The lumber yard has two young guys again, and it sure looks like it. They never pick up, or clean the yard, woldn't last long on my jobsite.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator

Where I work ‘It’s down the road’ if you have a cell phone at work.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
It is just not today's young, I have worked with guys that ran machine for years and could not even tell you what kind of motor that was in it. There was one guy who had air problem on the GY and the shop was an hour away from him. The mechanic asked him which valve was leaking so he could bring the right valve with him, and the guy said the blue one. Ya that was helpful lol

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
My company too, if you aren' an operator that needs a phone for contact then it' to be left in the crewbus.

oregon96pd

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I couldn't take the "old timer is superior to everyone" bs anymore. As a young field mechanic (32) in the construction industry, I can guarantee you that any old timer would NOT be automatically helping fix something or clean up a dam thing. Some of the laziest people on our jobs are between 40 and 60 years old, and I'm not just talking physical labor, when anything breaks they scatter like cockroaches when the lights come on. I will agree that a lot of young guys are worthless, but so is an equal number of "experienced" :rolleyes: guys.

And on the bad parenting....wouldn't those parents be in that be the age bracket you guys are touting as the super generation?

Rant over, carry on :)

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Sorry to say but the biggest number of cull employees we have had are 18-35.

Welder Dave

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I couldn't take the "old timer is superior to everyone" bs anymore. As a young field mechanic (32) in the construction industry, I can guarantee you that any old timer would NOT be automatically helping fix something or clean up a dam thing. Some of the laziest people on our jobs are between 40 and 60 years old, and I'm not just talking physical labor, when anything breaks they scatter like cockroaches when the lights come on. I will agree that a lot of young guys are worthless, but so is an equal number of "experienced" :rolleyes: guys.

And on the bad parenting....wouldn't those parents be in that be the age bracket you guys are touting as the super generation?

Rant over, carry on :)

I've worked with some older and/or more experienced guys that must have figured you were there to take their job away and wouldn't help you out in any way. They'd watch you do something wrong and then joke about it instead of showing you the right or an easier way. I had no use for these guys. My dad was always more than willing to share his knowledge and I probably picked it up from him. I consider it a compliment if someone asks my advice or for help. I'd also always listen if someone had an idea that might make things easier. The other people I had no use for were arrogant apprentices that just got of school and acted like they knew it all and I was there apprentice. Sometimes you just have to let them do it their way and mess things up a little so they get a dose of reality. Nothing too major just enough that maybe they'll listen to experience the next time.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
I just took a look at the new 650 that showed up here yesterday . I have to say WOW is it ever nice extremely well layed out and look like a mechanics dream to work on .My son gets to run it and is he ever tickled with it (He really likes the lagging on all the drums as the 7280 he currently runs is a bear to get the lines to spool ) . One of the nice's cab lay outs that I have ever seen. Extremely op friendly with great visibility .Good job TMAR

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I just took a look at the new 650 that showed up here yesterday . I have to say WOW is it ever nice extremely well layed out and look like a mechanics dream to work on .My son gets to run it and is he ever tickled with it (He really likes the lagging on all the drums as the 7280 he currently runs is a bear to get the lines to spool ) . One of the nice's cab lay outs that I have ever seen. Extremely op friendly with great visibility .Good job TMAR
075,I am thinking that T-Mar would be a good outfit to do a rebuild on 075 Trak loader. Would be nice to see for sure. Bp

Tinkerer

Although I am not in the logging industry I really like to read these posts and see the photos posted about it.
So, I thought that the T-Mac 650 looked so awesome it should have a photo posted. I shamefully copied it right off of T-Mac's website.
home-page-hero-1 (650 x 406).jpg