• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Saw this helicopter in a corn field the other day it’s a crop duster with the tail rotor busted off, I’d say he got off easy he isn’t 5 ft. From a hydro line.
Ps. Impact “ stay out of the corn fields “
D148DF0A-C7C6-4CB7-A18B-E06841F262AB.jpeg
I put some fir timbers and framing material up on this rather unique house a couple weeks ago. The carpenters where glad to see me show up they are up three stories and everything till then went up by hand.
3326C319-453B-4C6F-9A9A-5DF99A72EB5A.jpeg 48FA05F3-D395-40B5-AC53-8886DC2AA237.jpeg

Last edited:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I put the communication tower up for the municipal water plant this week, it’s not very big, 70 ft. Then put them up to install the equipment in my basket. It doesn’t happen every time, but I stood it up perfectly, when the bottom cleared the ground it didn’t swing 2”. I was surprised as much as they where impressed. I have to put the pump and steel pipes down the well next week.
For the upcoming week I have picked up a new customer, a propane company wants me to load and arrange for the trucking and unloading for a 6,000 US gallon tank. They have several more to do in the next month.
112270FE-5151-4BD1-8907-68CB4ECBC11E.jpeg

crane operator

Backing up a steep driveway, stealing wood off a jobsite to level your pads, and the front end up in the air? Bet you were glad you didn't have to build a stack for the front jack. That new crane sure looks nice.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Backing up a steep driveway, stealing wood off a jobsite to level your pads, and the front end up in the air? Bet you were glad you didn't have to build a stack for the front jack. That new crane sure looks nice.
Thanks
You sure have an eye for details. I always spend a bit of time leveling the pads, in some of my pictures you can see the three green lights on my front dashboard they indicate weather or not my outriggers are fully extended or not and I have found that if my pads are not fairly level it twists the beams and the magnetic censers don’t make proper contact. And being the worriers that I am I don’t like the beams twisted so I have started leveling my pads.

Natman

I don't see a front stabilizer crane op? In my case, and probably the same with Tradesman's rig, the supplied counter weight means you don't need one, you still have a full chart, 360 degrees, even with the front tires in the air. I had a guy who runs 5 rigs identical to mine tell me that, all with the 1400 pound CW, and no front stab. In my case, since I already had the front stab and only added the CW later, I still am in the habit of using it. And I carry some big blocks just for it, besides my other blocking.

Nice work on the tower tilt up! Yeah it's sweet when a load just levitates up, straight up, only problem is most non operators don't appreciate how hard that can be, the National has free swing/foot brake on the rotation, that helps a bunch.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
These are bio filters that have been in the local sewage lagoon for the last two years. They are a test of a prototype filter that is meant to improve the quality of water being released. They wanted me to do the crane work lifting them out but it was too narrow of a set up for my unit so I recommend a competitor of mine with several cranes one of which is an almost new 60 ? Ton grove RT. Its something new every day.
Notice the wet stuff on the window, don’t worry I had the heat on just enough to be comfy lol.
7741AD7D-2B15-4302-A315-63B497BC600B.jpeg

crane operator

I had the heat on just enough to be comfy lol.

Heat ? Heat? Its been hotter here the last week, than I think it was all summer. Upper 90s with heat index's close to 100. (that in F not C, f for _____ hot). If I had the a/c mounted in the liebherr it would have been running this afternoon. I'm feeling pretty cooked right now. I'm so ready for fall.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is home
046DC2F6-B91E-40B5-8D83-D1DC83799F30.jpeg
This is a sh,,t hole but unfortunately it’s where the best doctors are and I had cause to visit ( don’t worry where all ok ) no place for a farm boy to be! On a positive note there’s cranes everywhere.
230EDF80-983A-4DD9-B753-840972B9E318.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I set the pump at the water plant I’ve been working on this summer, 180 Feet of 4” pipe.
5FCF6DA7-CBC3-4F9D-A6A9-B62560A3BC2E.jpeg
This sight was a little snug, I was setting skylights on the roof, a pretty easy gig.
4C094FC0-3F61-4B01-BE20-DA396AAF3D0A.jpeg AE37642D-2031-41B0-A476-9F2DB45FD958.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is a grain bin I set up on a hopper last week. They didn’t have any bin jacks so I held on to it while they put on four rings. Then it took an hour for them to make the connection to the hopper.
5DE70E58-AB5E-43EE-A4DB-47DE0F918780.jpeg
I relocated this dust collector on top of a newly poured structure that allows a dump wagon to back under to be loaded. Man the Mennonites Love their concrete
8EF94E40-A7F5-4D15-8136-A0D973FF5BA3.jpeg
This LVL beam weighed just short of a ton, I was back in our shop with the door down in less than an hour.
9760CEEF-E6AF-402C-9A65-33B65AFEE887.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Small with red pins are Crosby and the orange say Ocean on them when you blow up the pic.
Yep I’d have all Crosby but the price yikes! the ocean seem to be good quality and are nicely machined. So most of my smaller shackles are Crosby and the larger ones that I never get anywhere near the WLL i use the ocean. I have the 1” just to fit on large objects.

crane operator

Do you order the galvanized chokers, or do they stock them? I've got a few galvanized chokers that I've picked up used, but most all my steel is standard cable. Doesn't the galvanized cable have a different rating?

You should know better about the cheap shackles, buy once, cry once, but I understand the cost thing. Its hard when you don't use them very often. But I don't use chinese shackles.

I actually prefer the older CM shackles, a 1" cm will have a 10 ton rating, while a crosby will be 8 1/2 ton. Seems like their threads are smoother also. I did get some chicago shackles a while back that are like 3/4", and the threads on them are really rough, you about need a pliers to open a shut them.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Do you order the galvanized chokers, or do they stock them? I've got a few galvanized chokers that I've picked up used, but most all my steel is standard cable. Doesn't the galvanized cable have a different rating?

You should know better about the cheap shackles, buy once, cry once, but I understand the cost thing. Its hard when you don't use them very often. But I don't use chinese shackles.

I actually prefer the older CM shackles, a 1" cm will have a 10 ton rating, while a crosby will be 8 1/2 ton. Seems like their threads are smoother also. I did get some chicago shackles a while back that are like 3/4", and the threads on them are really rough, you about need a pliers to open a shut them.
I buy all my rigging from a dedicated rigging supplier they build their own slings and have a testing facility and the ability to certify. When I phone to order wire rope they automatically send me galvanized, the one time I ordered from a different supplier I was surprised when non galvanized showed up. It’s quite often the owner I deal with, he has spent his whole career in the hoisting industry and is a really good resource for myself, because as you know I’m self taught and haven’t had the benefit of more experienced industry professionals. But I pride myself on being a student of the industry reading and listening to everyone that will talk to me.

Oceanside industries is a Canadian company based on the east coast serving primarily the off shore industries. Wether or not they actually produce the shackles I don’t know but they have put their stamp on them and everything they have has multiple professional certifications. And for good or bad depending on how you look at it Canada is a highly regulated country. So I’m comfortable with the quality of all my rigging. But having said that I do see the value of having Crosby equipment “ perceived value or not” because this isn’t the first time I’ve had this same conversation.
Ps. The ocean shackles are to replace the Chinese shackles I bought when I first started many moons ago.

Last edited:

crane operator

My rigging supplier builds their own chokers too, I know he would make galvanized if I asked for it. I don't think I've ever even priced it. I'm always up for learning about something. Are they a little stiffer cable than a regular steel choker? The galvanized ones I have are not as flexable as my non galvanized, but they are probably a different cable.

I'm going round and round with my rigging supplier right now to get me a spelter socket for my liebherr. He's not been any help, so I've found the part # I need from another rigging suppliers online catalog. I just want to buy local if I can, but he's about to lose this one. If I call you, give you the part # of the item I need, how hard is it to get back to me with a price and availability? I'm wanting to spend $.

I need one of these for the aux. hoist on the liebherr, its been cut off. I think I'm getting a second one, if I damage the main load line and need to cut it off, I'll need a way to fix it right away.

20191005_132427.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The squirrel fell off the wheel today. my first pick on a big work shop was a gable set. I stomped off my radius and set up, I like to set up closer to the end I finish on. When I centered over the gable set I was at 61 ft. Thinking to myself “ no problem “ when I took the load the buzzer went off I’m thinking well you miss judged that boy. The carpenters still had ahold of it with the tellahandler so I got them to move it 5 ft. closer and up she went so I swung it into place and the buzzer went off again, I set it on the wall and grabbed the charts they said I was good for almost twice what I had on. “What to H “ then the light came on I was in personnel basket mode that Max’s out at 3000 lbs and drops off pretty fast, I reset the LMI. and finished with no more drama. :confused:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had a nice relaxing Saturday morning setting some previously enjoyed trusses on a new work shop. This building will be strapped out 3” and spray foamed then clad with agricultural steel, driving by on the road it will look like a farm driving shed, but it could have a million dollars worth of equipment in it making parts for the auto industry.
AC764281-A50E-4758-8114-AB78FE9F0516.jpeg 2FCBFBCF-5447-4841-BF15-EB9AEFF178CC.jpeg 09EB657D-C192-4B23-B96A-20CDE21C0F8B.jpeg