• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

crane operator

How's that fancy unhooker work with that kind of rigging? Hit the button and it all falls on their head? Not that I don't know carpenters that could use that kind of positive reinforcement of their spectacular skills.

electric hook (2).jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
How's that fancy unhooker work with that kind of rigging? Hit the button and it all falls on their head? Not that I don't know carpenters that could use that kind of positive reinforcement of their spectacular skills.

View attachment 255787
New crew I showed the how to hook it then they did that I had to use negative re-enforcement to get them to hook it properly.

Natman

Anyone else ever get a hoarse voice, from yelling over the equipment noise? I had 2 jobs in a row last week that for the usual reasons (improper rigging and tag line technique) seemed to require a lot of yelling back and forth. I once again thought a loud speaker would be beneficial on some jobs, but I am afraid that some of the things I mutter under my breath, might inadvertently be heard at large.

hosspuller

.... I once again thought a loud speaker would be beneficial on some jobs, but I am afraid that some of the things I mutter under my breath, might inadvertently be heard at large.

Actually, I think it would be beneficial for safety too. As long as you didn't key the mic, you'll be safe from the hot mic. (Unlike Obama when he promised the Russians "flexibility") :p

Welder Dave

I know a guy who worked for a fairly large construction outfit building a hotel. The foreman had a megaphone and also a fowl mouth at times. On several occasions the police were called because of the excessive yelling and/or cursing through the megaphone. The police even banned him from using it a few times after several complaints earlier on the same day.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I know a guy who worked for a fairly large construction outfit building a hotel. The foreman had a megaphone and also a fowl mouth at times. On several occasions the police were called because of the excessive yelling and/or cursing through the megaphone. The police even banned him from using it a few times after several complaints earlier on the same day.
Based on this a loud speaker might not be a good idea.:rolleyes:
I wouldn’t want someone I hope to cut me a cheque to know what I am thinking in the heat of the moment.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Something audible and loud is usually a good idea on a noisy job site and an unsafe situation is involved. A travel alarm is just one good example. You can call a police officer all you like, but they are unlikely to do anything unless there is a situation outside of written ordinances or there is a safety situation. Keep in mind we have social disturbances involving bullhorns all the time with people marching down streets and blocking traffic and few if any arrested.

Welder Dave

A megaphone is OK if used responsibly. There are a few other options nowadays for safely communicating with employee's. The headphones with a microphone are 1 option that is hands free and doesn't require yelling across a construction site.

Natman

You're making me want to forgo the spreader bar I use when I set pools! I can't remember if it was my pool people or me that felt the need for the spreader, it's been about 10 years and we always use it. No real need obviously. I have 4 pools next week, for two different companies, a new record, I'm just glad I don't have to pay to heat the things.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
You're making me want to forgo the spreader bar I use when I set pools! I can't remember if it was my pool people or me that felt the need for the spreader, it's been about 10 years and we always use it. No real need obviously. I have 4 pools next week, for two different companies, a new record, I'm just glad I don't have to pay to heat the things.
They specify 30 ft. Rigging I was digging out my 20’s and 10’s and the pool guy said don’t worry 20’s are lots.
Ps. But for all the time it takes To rig a spreader bar unless it’s their idea I wouldn’t chance it, and just stay with what you’re used to.