• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
We are getting close to finishing the the cottage rebuild down to the thousand final details. It’s been a pleasure we don’t always get to do this amount of detail work. 59774298-E2AE-4557-BE05-63EE68D82AE5.jpeg
A 15000 lb. dust collector I set on Saturday they tailed it with the telahandler, it was a little scary at one point. My line was centred over the load but came up and back when the deflection came out as you can see in the picture
787DAD76-8D97-4534-B29C-CCD497172DB2.jpegAD54BA8F-4AEC-4151-8382-B1E7A3B6FD0A.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had a worker kicked off sight last week, I was moving bundles of rebar around and I noticed this guy being kinda dopey, but I ignored it until he started walking under and in front of my picks. So I watched him for a few minutes and he could hardly stand up, now I’m no safety nazi but this guy was gona get hurt and I was going to be involved. I called the sight super over and told him to watch the guy, sure enough in a few minutes he was walking out the driveway ( stumbling) . I asked the super how it turned out, he said his boss had to drive two hours to pick him up. I felt crapy about being a rat, but I would of felt worse if he had of walked into a bundle of flying rebar.

crane operator

Nice job on the big tank. I don't like to use too much rigging on standing tanks, it seems like they can get more of a head start on you when they break over center, but tailing it with the telehandler really helps out with that.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The lake house is almost there. B6398FAA-CE4A-45A8-87B6-BD9B1BD89A17.jpeg
Had an interesting week moved this old sail boat this morning, I set it on top of timbers in this valley beside the river, it’s being turned into a play house for his grand kids. It was 5000 pounds, business as usual the customer said likely 3500. I did my first tandem lift with another crane. My partner was the 72 year old founder of one of the larger crane outfits in our part of the country, he was running a 75 ton mobile. We were dismantling a large dust collector the main pick was 17000 pounds, I was the tail crane at one point I had 11500 on the hook. What a great experience for me, he was very helpful, I’d love to spend a couple days oiling for him just to absorb some of his knowledge.
E66DFF0D-B679-4192-8A68-55735A2754AF.jpeg4AFDE1D7-AA1D-49CD-BC73-E20275879F9C.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Nice job on the big tank. I don't like to use too much rigging on standing tanks, it seems like they can get more of a head start on you when they break over center, but tailing it with the telehandler really helps out with that.
If I had it to do over again I would of shortened up a quite a bit I was trying to get my best chart and only put out enough stick to make the pick and it turned out that when I got it stood up I had to set it down and run out another 10 feet to get it up on it’s elevated pad. Live and learn!

crane operator

You'll always end up with more than 1/2 the weight when standing tanks if you are the tail crane. As the "upper" crane is lifting it to stand it, the "lower" crane will get more and more of the weight, the upper crane pushes it onto the lower crane. Until it actually gets to vertical, then the upper crane actually lifts it off the lower crane.

I had to explain it once to a safety officer, and then the main boss, after the safety officer didn't believe me. The main boss (a engineer) understood what I was saying, and okayed the pick- actually the paperwork/lift plan that I had filled out. The safety guy was adamant that the weight stayed evenly split between both cranes, no matter the tank orientation.

I usually figure between 1/2 and 2/3 of the total weight will be on the lower crane, if the tail crane can't handle 2/3 of the weight, you will need a bigger tail crane.

td25c

I had a worker kicked off sight last week, I was moving bundles of rebar around and I noticed this guy being kinda dopey, but I ignored it until he started walking under and in front of my picks. So I watched him for a few minutes and he could hardly stand up, now I’m no safety nazi but this guy was gona get hurt and I was going to be involved. I called the sight super over and told him to watch the guy, sure enough in a few minutes he was walking out the driveway ( stumbling) . I asked the super how it turned out, he said his boss had to drive two hours to pick him up. I felt crapy about being a rat, but I would of felt worse if he had of walked into a bundle of flying rebar.

You made the rite decision Tradesman . :cool:

This falls under only " essential personnel " in the lift area .

I would have hopped out of the cab and handed the feller a $ 20.00 bill to go get us a cold case a barley soda when we finish up to get him off the job site .:D

Last edited:

td25c

You'll always end up with more than 1/2 the weight when standing tanks if you are the tail crane. As the "upper" crane is lifting it to stand it, the "lower" crane will get more and more of the weight, the upper crane pushes it onto the lower crane. Until it actually gets to vertical, then the upper crane actually lifts it off the lower crane.

It's exactly like when the wife wants to move furniture up or down the stairway . :)

The man is " tailing " on the low heavy end of the load while the wife is still thinking about where it's going . :eek::D

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
BB45F485-330C-4377-AFD6-721C7DDA64CC.jpeg My two sons and I went for an early morning ride. This is a long weekend for us so we left my place at 5:30 am. And back roaded it for a 400 km. ride before lunch.
9C75E04C-DCD6-432D-9F68-C2F6ACA1B663.jpeg
I got an urgent call from the rental company I use. A customer of theirs upset this brand new tella-handler, so why not set the rest of the trusses while we’re waiting for the rental guy to show up with another tella-handler to act as a tail machine
08FAC069-D9DF-4FBA-A840-6A2A777115F1.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
That leg in the cab of my crane isn’t mine it’s the son of a friend of mine that has a steel erection company. The young guy is a union crane operator, so when I asked if he wanted to set the last bundle he jumped at it.
8F8518E8-9CA9-4C93-8F23-A8EEDFBAFB65.jpeg 8A82FE88-5117-4C83-82AC-1DF4CCB6CF6C.jpeg

Natman

Happily, that old school truss bracing method of laying out a 2x4 and having it hanging out, frustrating the crane op, is about died out here in my parts. I didn't realize it until your post but that method is almost never seen by me anymore, I guess they figured out the metal truss clips are the way to go, probably 80% of my jobs they use those, the rest precut lengths of scrap. Looking at your picture, it looks like the worse case: swing, run the winch up/down, and boom up/ down all at once, so much more work then just lowering them straight down! The good thing is when I complain about it, I always point out how much faster the "new" method is, not to mention safer, so saves them money.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I got out for a solo bike ride today, wanted to do an over nighter but missed the ferry by 1/2 a hour. So I explored some back roads that I’ve never been on, one led me to this isolated lake access, so I took a couple pictures and soaked up the sound of the waves for a while. ( good for the soul)
FA08D4EA-FB97-4BC7-A5B0-DBBA48D82B33.jpeg
The blue dot is where the picture was taken, and I live just west of the B in Barrie.
51F99CA5-15EE-49FF-A9B0-8479D617488D.jpeg