• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Just the pallet as pictured or the busted cab too ? Pallet looks like something Uship.com would do very well.
Just the pallet I knew the cab had small damage. I saved $2000 and got it shipped the next day instead of 8 weeks. My quess is it's a pain in the you know what to constantly build new ones so a big deposit gets them back

Natman

Members of a Kubota tractor forum I'm on rave about the Fastenal mode of shipping. I just sold a guy in Georgia a backhoe bucket and will try them out for the first time, as a shipper, been getting hardware there for years.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I moved this refrigeration unit today I loaded it on a trailer the followed the trailer about an hour then unloaded it. We got about an inch of rain last night, I was glad for my four way lockers and floatations tires. I lined it up pretty good cause I was only getting one shot at it. The guy told me it would be 2700 lbs. so naturally I assumed it would be twice that, not far off 4700 lbs. rigging in
IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG

crane operator

I've heard a rumor of where that "new" cab came from.....

overturned-crane-truck-2-825x619.jpg

just pulling your chain.:)

The pictures came up in the safety section
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/crane-accident.68968/#post-716671

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I've heard a rumor of where that "new" cab came from.....

overturned-crane-truck-2-825x619.jpg

just pulling your chain.:)

The pictures came up in the safety section
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/crane-accident.68968/#post-716671
I was thinking about it but couldn't come up with an appropriate smart a&& comment. I think your comment was right he had his block on so he was expecting a bit of a load. The way he was set up makes my arse pucker, straight off the side on that boom truck can be 50% capacity and still set your arse meter off. I wouldn't be tying myself to an unknown load sitting up on that hill working straight off the side with that boomtruck.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_1211.JPG I had a nice little Sunday morning job for a neighbor, he lost his barn to a fire, just a hobby guy so he didn't need much of a barn so he is doing this it's two 40 ft. sea cans with a tarp building on top of it. If he finishes it properly it should be pretty useful.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Set trusses for some Mennonite guys today this poor kid likely 13 or 14 was my tag man, as you can see it was a little sloppy and the wind was pretty good to. I was holding the truss as low as possible as long as I could but as soon as it broke over the top plate it would drag this little man all over but he never gave up, by the time we where done I bet the rope weighed as much as him and he was mud right to the chest.
IMG_1214.JPG

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Yesterday and today I set these steel hoops on a 65 x 200 building yesterday was a beautiful day but their scissor lift wouldn't work properly, from 7:30 to 4:45 we had three trusses set then the man lifts showed up and we put three more up in the next 45 minutes. I couldn't be there till 10:00 this morning, by noon it was 25 to 30 k winds and half rain half snow, by three it was snowing heavy the only good thing was the wind slowed down.
It was a young farm couple I was working for there barn burned down in the spring and they have been waiting ever since for there builder to do this and last week they finally decided to tackle it them selves.
As you can see I'm loving the Sirius radio my son got me.

IMG_2385.JPG

Natman

Yesterday I was working about 15' from a generator running full tilt, with an air compressor right next to it also running almost continuously. Then my rig's noise on top of all that. Once that door closes on the National's operator cab, it's a whole different world, it really blocks out noise great, then the sat radio goes on and I am a happy camper. News, talk, music of course, it keeps me alert (and awake) and in a much better mood then if I was standing outside like I did in 3 different boom trucks for almost 5,000 hours. An enclosed tight cab with sat radio, heat and air, a cup holder, and a coat hook to hang my jacket up so I can work in my shirtsleeves, I almost feel guilty watching the carpenters outside but hey I did my time, and starting back before nail guns so i don't feel too guilty!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_1234.JPG I set the trusses on a six plex today it had five double trusses with three ply of 5/8" drywall on it, the one in the picture was 4650 lbs. on my lmi, rigging in So tare would have been around 4200 lbs. this was the top one on the pile of five and it weighed around 400 lbs more than the rest only thing it could have been was the water / wet snow it absorbed.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I guess everyone is in a rush now before the snow balls hit them in the back side, here where I live everyone wants concrete right now if not yesterday.

crane operator

No to rub it in, but we've been in shirtsleeves this week......

Next week highs 60's lows might dip into the 30's, but probably not freezing. Buddy working up in minnesota says they've had 4 or so good snows already.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
:rolleyes:
No to rub it in, but we've been in shirtsleeves this week......

Next week highs 60's lows might dip into the 30's, but probably not freezing. Buddy working up in minnesota says they've had 4 or so good snows already.
On a positive note haven't seen a fly or bug of any type for a month:rolleyes:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This was my first no charge job. My two sons and a friend of theirs, put the trusses on and sheathed the roof in yesterday on my sons new garage. I always claimed that I would charge my own mother a three hour minimum, I guess I'm not as hard as I let on.
IMG_1235.JPG

Natman

Keeping all altruistic reasons aside, it can be very good free PR, the kind that shows up when someone Google's "crane service", to offer to do something for free. Like church steeples, a disabled veteran house trusses, an equipment shed for a youth hockey team, a fuel tank at an airport for a group of private fliers, a roof over a city park picnic area built in honor of a local WW2 vet and businessman, Habitat for Humanity homes, flag poles at a Vietnam veterans memorial, to name a few I've done gratis. If there is travel outside the city I tell them "I'll do it for free, but you need to catch my diesel." I keep an eye out for ways I can offer my work for free, it's simply good business and can pay off, it has for me, in good public relations and word of mouth. NOT BRAGGING, but it has turned into a win/win, good for who ever gets me free, good for me in good PR, and lastly, sure it make me feel good to be such a good guy, but mostly it's the first two reasons!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is a little rubber boot that covers the end of my pilot controls, they where getting nasty looking so I phoned the dealer, they where over $150.00 for four of them at thier shop. I said no thanks and dug out an old handle that I replaced a year ago, got the manufacturers name off it and called them. A week later they where in my mail box for $35.15. While I had them on the phone I asked if I could buy the controller off them, no luck they are made for Elliott only and can not be sold directly. That sucks because I've done two now and will likely be doing two more at over $ 1,200 a piece.
IMG_1238.JPG

Last edited: