• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Life has a way of putting you in your place. I had a two day truss set for a new customer it went really well, they told me that I did a really smooth job and they where impressed by my rigs capacity. Today I did large shed for the Mennonites, they thanked me for the good job, then I set some large roof packages on a new shop for some guys that work for a large construction that does bridges and over passes they where very technical lifts and they went very smooth. They wanted to pay cash so I said what to heck it's Saturday I'll make an exception the guy handed me the envelope and it was three times what it asked him for, when I brought it to his attention he said just take it, and said anytime i want they could use me moving forms and doing sight work for them. SO! I'm feeling like a rock star about then and head for home as I'm going out the driveway watching in my mirror for tree branches I see what I though was the last one clear the cab and turn to head for home " Bang" I hit the side of a tree that is leaning into the driveway and almost tear the cab right off broke 6 of 8 pieces of glass and tore the cab 3/4 off the base plate. I'm a rock star alright, came down off my high pretty quick. Quess I'll find out on Monday what it cost me.

crane operator

Don't feel bad. I did a amusement park job last week, inches away from everything all the way in and out. Got done with the job, the signal/guide man went back to get his gator, and all I had to do was get away from the buildings and back to where the lowboy was. I flipped up the glass top lid to stand up and see around a corner of the building, and there was a oak branch that caught the top 1" of the glass. Yep, ripped it right back flat as I was driving ahead,so- new glass and a little welding.

Come on though- we need to see pictures of the carnage so we can remote suggest how to fix it.

I am sorry though- it happens.

td25c

It must be going around as I busted two windows out on the excavator this season :(

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I knew you guys would want pictures, but I didn't have the heart to take any yesterday. I'm going to the shop later today so I'll take a couple. Tomorrow is our thanks giving it's not a holiday for you is it? I was going to phone Elliott and get the ball rolling on a new cab a day early. She's bent pretty good and I don't want it cobbled up.

crane operator

http://www.lakesuperiorcabs.com/truck_cab.php

http://www.htfab.com/products/crane-operator-cabs/

Just in case elliot scares you to death with their quote. I've rebuilt a cab for a guy I worked for (gmk grove- aluminum, lots of aluminum welding and grinding), remember yours is just steel welded up, its certainly something that any adequete fab shop can make. Don't accept a huge quote for a new cab from elliot. There are options.

They aren't like a dozer or backhoe with roll over protection, its just a steel shell. If there's enough left of the old one, you can dismantle it to get patterns for a plasma table to cut the panels, and weld one up, or have it welded locally. I saw somewhere recently on a quote for a cab from grove for a lower cab, it was just under $20,000. There are guys that do great body work and fab work everywhere, you may just have to look.

Our thanksgiving is third thursday in November. Enjoy your day off.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Thanks man, I'll contact both tomorrow morning. The Elliot cab I can't buy direct so there's another 20% but if I can get insurance to pay for it ( and they should ) it will be the first one that I can have on and working. I'm not sure if I have a rental Claus in my insurance, I'd hate to be down for two or three weeks, this is usually my busiest time of year.

crane operator

If you don't want to/ can't fix it for a while, take a grinder and a cut off wheel to the cab, make it a open station for a few weeks until the new cab is in. I don't think elliot has one setting on the shelf for you, most of the manufacture's have a 6-8 week lead time for something like that.

Maybe you can just pop out the glass, straighten out and fix the worst of it and leave the door off until the new cab is ready too.

I personally wouldn't turn something like that in for a insurance claim, because I feel like they just raise your rates, and you end up paying it yourself anyways, and they don't have the excuse to drop you. Prior claims count against you when applying to a different company, and its really hard if you've been dropped to get someone else to take you. In the US anyways.

You could find one here (boom truck) in the US to bare rent, but it better be pretty busy to afford the bare rental fee and make any $.

If I had the Mack up and running, I'd send it up to you, but it's getting a injector pump rebuild, and probably a swivel rebuild too.

Probably the exchange rate hurts pretty bad, when getting parts from the us right now also.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
To be honest I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll make some calls tomorrow and based on the answers I get I'll make the call. I am pretty vain about the condition I keep it in maybe even past what makes good sense $$$

Natman

I built my own cab for my old Manitex 101S, after pricing out what they wanted for a factory built one! 8 or 9 grand I believe it was, PLUS shipping, not installed. I used 10 gauge steel, tinted safety plate glass, and including the heater ($1500.00, worth every penny of course) it was a bit over 3K. It looked good, not homebuilt anyway, but I do like my factory built "deluxe" (their term for it) National cab a lot better, it seals up tight, like a car, and is a lot bigger. I'd also lease your insurance company out of it, know anyone who does car body work? It'd be pretty easy for a good body man to fix, maybe one who needs crane work from time to time?

2 weeks ago I had a late job, near the local Flying J truck stop, as my morning job was even further in the same direction away from my crane yard, to save 30 miles of driving plus going through the Port of Entry twice, I parked it at the J where all the semi's park and locked it up. Next morning before sun up, I drive 2 hours to my job, 10 miles of it down a gravel road, get there and then see the lowered tempered glass section in front below the main window on the op cab was broken. Could have happened from the gravel (unlikely, but possible I guess) or from a random bit of badness from someone. I replaced it with a piece of aluminum deck plate and stainless rivets, as I always felt it was worthless anyway, being down so low, and I already have a deck plate piece I always cover up the main window with for transport, so it at least looks factory. I never even priced out a new piece of glass. The first day I'm using it I realized I can now install a adjustable footrest on the back side of the deck plate, for down times, I've felt the need before but couldn't figure out how to do it when the glass was there, problem solved!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I can't say enough good about the people at Elliott Crane. They had a new cab that had been damaged in shipping, a cracked glass and small scratch, they offered to have it repaired and to me next week so I asked if they would let me do the repairs, yep and they discounted it substantially. As well he set me up with a dealer Stateside that I could purchase it from, saving me both time and money.
This gentleman phoned me three times since yesterday struck a deal for me with his boss had the cab that had been taken out of inventory put back into inventory called the dealership in Chicago and set up the deal on my behalf. I'm sure it isn't only him but a company culture. They have earned a boatload of my loyalty.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Yehaw! It's hear two broken pieces of glass and the front handle bent both easy fixes should have it together by the end of the day. Pictures to come.
Bonus its the new paint scheme, has both windshield wipers, both front and rear fan and dome light it's also pre wired for the speakers. Other than being two days late I'm a happy camper

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I came to the house for some super, I likely have another 1 1/2 to finish it up, tie up the wire harness, a couple ignorant bolts left to mount the cab down and tidy up my shop. Then off to my first post crash job tomorrow morning ar 6:30. Wow what a weight off.
IMG_2349.JPG
This is the shipping crate there is a $1,000 deposit on it but I have to get it back to Omaha.
IMG_2350.JPG

crane operator

Looks great. Glad they could get it to you so quickly.

At $1,000 core, you'd like to send it back, but it will probably cost you $500 to ship it?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Looks great. Glad they could get it to you so quickly.

At $1,000 core, you'd like to send it back, but it will probably cost you $500 to ship it?
Yep I saw the shipping tag and it was $535 US. to get it here.
Done I got everithing done except my Sirius radio, it's gonna have to wait.