• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555E Hydraulic System

aighead

That dumb 17mm hex drain was an issue for my hydraulic fluid flush yesterday, assuming my plug is the same size, and I would think so. I ended up pumping the tank out by hand which took quite a while and left maybe a cup of fluid in the tank. I was wondering with a standard Allen wrench if it'd get bent into several new shapes had I had one. I tried a pipe wrench and cheater bar to no avail.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
toxic, I guess that is mixed news...at least you know the previous owner changed the oil:)

As long as it seals, I am not sure I would be looking to pay over $40 for a new one.

cosmaar1

FYI it's tighter than Dick's hatband! I broke my 3/8" drive off in mine and welded it to a piece of bar stock. Had to put a piece of pipe on that to break the plugs loose.

Tighter than a Dick's hatband... now thats something you dont hear every day!!!! hahahahahahahaha

cosmaar1

Does anyone by chance have a measurement of the width of the hydraulic tank reservoir cover plate? My machine is 20 minutes away from me and I wanted to pick up some gasket material before I change out the oil later this week. Much appreciated!

cosmaar1

I appreciate everyone's help, NH575E, Swetz, Jlap, and anyone else I may have missed.

I finally had the time to change out the oil and boy was it fun. I had no issues removing the fluid and my drain plug came out very easy. The suction filter was clean and everything went back together nicely.

After taking the side cover plate off so I could look inside the tank, of course the fluid was almost tan/white. Obviously not good. I did find it interesting that the sludge on the bottom of the tank was a thick and white, almost like a paste. It took me about an hour and a lot of rags to finally get it all out.

I changed out the fluid, filter, and added 23 gallons of Chevron THF 1000 back to the tank. I let the machine run for about 25 minutes working all of the controls and all was well.... so I thought.........

Yesterday I went out and worked the machine for about 6 hours and noticed halfway through that my original red/orangeish colored fluid in the sight glass was now a faintly tinted orange. Obviously I can do the math - if the system holds 36 gallons and I added 23, 33% was still left in the lines, pump, etc.... I guess I was just expecting a better outcome.

Looks like I will be spending more money on this thing come the fall time :mad::(

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmaar1, I am glad it all worked out well! Yes, it looks like you will be changing out the oil again, at least once. Hopefully it will be all good.

Machines always eat up all your spare money...I wouldn't trade my toys for anything!

cosmaar1

cosmaar1, I am glad it all worked out well! Yes, it looks like you will be changing out the oil again, at least once. Hopefully it will be all good.

Machines always eat up all your spare money...I wouldn't trade my toys for anything!

How long (days, months, years) would you run it before you change it again? I know oil in the engine oil is bad, but how does that work in hydraulic systems? Is leaving tinted oil in there for years a bad idea?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Very bad...Hydraulic parts are expensive. I would change it ASAP if it was mine.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Sorry man...water does not lubricate well, and causes corrosion. I would also look for the source of the water in the tank. I mean, will it get contaminated again, especially if this unit is kept outside.

Tinkerer

How long (days, months, years) would you run it before you change it again? I know oil in the engine oil is bad, but how does that work in hydraulic systems? Is leaving tinted oil in there for years a bad idea?
Very bad idea, cosmaar1 !
A hydraulic pump failure will be just the beginning of your punishment for not doing a proper and complete flush. Adding new oil to contaminated oil is total waste of good oil.

cosmaar1

Very bad idea, cosmaar1 !
A hydraulic pump failure will be just the beginning of your punishment for not doing a proper and complete flush. Adding new oil to contaminated oil is total waste of good oil.

Sorry I didn't see this response until now.

Trust me, I understand 100% that it was a complete waste of oil. It hurt my insides knowing that I was dumping 2/3 new oil into 1/3 remaining oil with the chance it would be fully contaminated again. Unfortunately I do not have a filter cart and no one close by that could do a 100% system flush.

I agree with what Swetz said about trying to find a source. My thinking is that either the previous owner put the wrong oil in there or that one of the seals is leaking. Finding a leaky seal will be hard because all of my cylinders are dry so I am going to stick with the latter.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Sorry man...water does not lubricate well, and causes corrosion. I would also look for the source of the water in the tank. I mean, will it get contaminated again, especially if this unit is kept outside.
Water usually gets in around the filler neck gasket area .Seal it up really well .

cosmaar1

Water usually gets in around the filler neck gasket area .Seal it up really well .

tool_king, I’ll ask a stupid question. The filler neck that I have isn’t much of a “neck”. I unscrew the breather from the reservoir tank and it’s flush with the tank. I have all the access I want to add fluid to the tank.

Is there supposed to be a gasket or something between the filler and tank? Should I have applied some pipe dope to the plastic breather?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thanks Tinkerer .For helping out .I had to take a nap from work .Usually I 15 gasket is a problem stop dries out and cracks.When water runs on top the tank water will seep under it and go down the screws .

Last edited:

cosmaar1

Thanks Tinkerer .For helping out .I had to take a nap from work .Usually I 15 gasket is a problem stop dries out and cracks.When water runs on top the tank water will seep under it and go down the screws .

Guys I never thought about the o-ring or seal to be the issue. Come to mind I don’t remember seeing an o-ring when I took the breather off when I changed the oil. Probably be a good idea to purchase both.

What I also found interesting is that the whole new assembly #13 is cheaper than the service kit #16.

I can’t believe I overlooked the seal and o-ring. I’ve looked at the picture tool_king sent 100 times and never realized that those could be the issue :(:mad:

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thanks Tinkerer .For helping out .I had to take a nap from work .
Guys I never thought about the o-ring or seal to be the issue. Come to mind I don’t remember seeing an o-ring when I took the breather off when I changed the oil. Probably be a good idea to purchase both.

What I also found interesting is that the whole new assembly #13 is cheaper than the service kit #16.

I can’t believe I overlooked the seal and o-ring. I’ve looked at the picture tool_king sent 100 times and never realized that those could be the issue :(:mad:
Shoot me your email and I can send you the manuals .