• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555E Hydraulic System

cosmaar1

Hmm... @cosmaar1 that picture is from the inside of the tool box? Mine is always damp or wet in there. I bet I have the same issue... Do I understand properly that you are just going to seal up the entire top of your tank? Hmm, again. I can't imagine a new tank isn't like a billion dollars.

Yes it is. I used to have a tube of grease in the tool box and I figured it was oily because of the grease. A week or so ago I finally was able to clean it out, use degreaser, and get it looking good. I used the machine for about 25 minutes to let it dry out and when I was done, the whole box was wet again. I'm like WTF.

I was working with my dad last week and I had the lid open and noticed oil all over the door. When I looked closely, as he was using the machine and it was building pressure, the bottom of the tool box was bubbling oil.

I do not have the means right now to replace the tank nor do I want to spend another $500 in oil that I just replaced 3 months ago, but I bought high temp, oil resistant silicone and I am going to seal the lid shut so no water can get in. I could care less about using the toolbox, so to me this is the bandaid I am going to use until I am able to cut out the bad areas and replace with new metal.

Attached is a picture I found on the internet of a similar tool box. I am going to run beads of silicone on the inside (red arrows), close the toolbox, then fill in the gaps with more. I will probably leave the drain holes open to allow the oil that seeps out a place to go.

Attachments

• 655E-HYD-TANK-e1546283610466.jpg
    655E-HYD-TANK-e1546283610466.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 15

cosmaar1

Since it's in the top of the tank I would clean it good and seal the floor of the tool box with something. I scraped mine and wire brushed then cleaned it out good with brake cleaner to get it clean and dry. I used rubberized undercoat in mine but it wasn't leaking. If I were you I would epoxy coat or fiberglass the inside. Paint it back with yellow so you can keep an eye on it.

To be honest NH, there is nothing to bond the paint or filler to. That's why I am going to seal it shut for now. At least keep the water out.

csthompson12

As I mentioned before, I too have pin holes in the tool box compartment... I’m thinking of closing the lid to the tool box, and running a bead of weld around it to seal it shut. Then weld over the weep holes too. Thoughts? I wouldn’t care about losing that little tool box, and it seems like it would seal up the hydraulic thank nicely..

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
It's your hoe but I would (and did) seal up the inside of the box and keep the weep holes open.

csthompson12

It's your hoe but I would (and did) seal up the inside of the box and keep the weep holes open.

I was trying to think of something that would seal up the Inside tool box area... the problem I see is that when the fluid gets hot I’m guessing the tank builds some pressure, and I’m not sure something like glue or silicone would hold. It would also be a pain to get the inside of the tool box down to bare metal to bond silicone or glue.

Did yours rust out too? What did you use to seal it?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I don't think mine had any holes. I just scraped and wire brushed mine then wiped it out with brake cleaner. I didn't try to get bare metal. I used rubberized undercoating and put several coats in it but I'm sure there are better products. I think SWETZ put truck bed liner in his.

I use my tool box for storing chains.

Not sure how i would approach the problem if I had pin holes.

Just looked for an epoxy type sealer and found this stuff but if the holes were too big it might flow into the tank before it cured.
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxyseal-El...=1&keywords=epoxy+seal&qid=1612222702&sr=8-15

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Cleaning is the big job!
Once you remove it, clean it, grind it, weld it, clean it again, paint it, reassemble, welding is a small part of the job.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
csthompson12,
It seems that this is a poor design on the part of new holland. The tool box is all but worthless as well! On my new holland 675E tractor I sanded/wire brushed the rust, then put POR-15 on it, followed with pickup truck bed liner. It seems to have taken care of the poor design. I still really do not use the tool box though as it leaks and everything inside rusts.

Anyhow, if it were me, I would try to repair the leak rather than trying to weld the thing solid. Perhaps some JB-weld?? I used it on the bottom of my oil pan on my truck a little less than a year ago, and no leaks yet. What I did was wire wheel it, put a shop vac on the oil fill, then cleaned with brake cleaner, then applied the JB-Weld. I let the shop vac run for like a half hour or so, as the JB-Weld cured. To me, this is worth a shot. If this was unsuccessful, I think I would try to weld the rusted out area.

cosmaar1

As I mentioned before, I too have pin holes in the tool box compartment... I’m thinking of closing the lid to the tool box, and running a bead of weld around it to seal it shut. Then weld over the weep holes too. Thoughts? I wouldn’t care about losing that little tool box, and it seems like it would seal up the hydraulic thank nicely..

I found silicone on amazon that is rated for high temp and oil/water resistant. i caked it all around the gap of the toolbox and sealed it shut for now. Whenever I have a chance (probably not anytime soon), i plan on taking the tank off, cutting out the toolbox area and getting rid of it entirely. mine was so bad, there was no way to fix it. my main concern was stopping the water from going inside the tank, which i think i have fixed.... for now.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I hope that works for you cosmaar1!

fingers-crossed.png