• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555E Hydraulic System

cosmaar1

Hello all. First post on the forum and I am glad to be apart of the site.

To give a little info about the 555E, its a 1998 with about 3950 hrs. Its 4x4, cab, and seems to be in great working order. I've owned it for about 9 months now and short of changing out some fluids/filters, greasing the pivot points, and fixing a flat, its been great.

I noticed when I last blew a hose a few weeks ago that the hydraulic fluid is a milky color. Obviously water has gotten into the system at some point, so I am going to drain all of it out as much as possible. I understand that it might take changing the fluid 2-3 times to get as much out as possible, but lets not go down that road.

My question for the group is, I am going to change the fluid and 2 main filters, but does anyone see the need for changing the filter inside of the reservoir tank? I honestly did not know it had one until a few minutes ago when I stumbled across it. It seems to be a wire mesh filter that does not cross over to any WIX or Baldwin filter. I really don't want to pay $75 for a filter that is just screening debris.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I would inspect/clean it while you have the tank empty.

When I did mine I found a yellow rubber disc loose and wedged inside the inlet. Another member took his off and discovered the rubber disc is part of the filter and located up inside on his. For some reason mine had come loose and I'm surprised it didn't restrict the flow.

I made a wrench to get it off so I will include my crude drawing of that. You can build one with flat plate in 3/16" or 1/4". I had to reach in and tap the wrench with a hammer to get it loose.

suction-screen-wrench-drawing.jpg

cosmaar1

When I did mine I found a yellow rubber disc loose and wedged inside the inlet. Another member took his off and discovered the rubber disc is part of the filter and located up inside on his. For some reason mine had come loose and I'm surprised it didn't restrict the flow.

I made a wrench to get it off so I will include my crude drawing of that. You can build one with flat plate in 3/16" or 1/4". I had to reach in and tap the wrench with a hammer to get it loose.

Thank you for your reply. I do remember reading the thread where the yellow piece was found on the filter. I wasn't sure if the filter could be cleaned or if it had to be replaced. From what you said, it can be cleaned which is good news. I also appreciate the picture.

For the sake of asking because 1) the machine isn't near me and 2) I have not been in the tank yet, what is the filter connected to? Does it filter before going to the pump? The hydraulic cooler? The primary/secondary filter?

Thanks!

jimg984

MY 555A HAS WIRE MESH IN TANK, BACK IN TIME THE PACKING IN HYD. CYLINDERS WAS BAD TO COME LOOSE, NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM, ITS HELD IN PLACE WITH IN A METAL FLANGE, WHERE RETURN CONNECTS TO TANK

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmarr1, WELCOME!

You will find that there are not too many New Holland people on this site, or any other site I have come across. That said, there are a hand full of NH owners. I will help you when I can...NH575E, who has already chimed in is very helpful. He has a lot of knowledge because he has been fixing his tractor a while. I just purchased my NH a couple of months ago, so I have some knowledge, but not much at this point...learning everyday. This is a great forum, trust me. I have been on others. The people here just want to help you fix your tractor.

Anyhow, I just had the round cover off the hydraulic reservoir and took a couple pics of the filter. This filter is a wire mesh filter on the suction side of the system. It is not fine like a return filter. I have read of many plugging up and causing problems. See the pics below. The filter is screwed into the back of the tank. In my pics you will see a bright spot, that is where the drain plug is out in the bottom.
20200314_162308.jpg 20200314_162338.jpg

Attachments

• 20200314_162317.jpg
    20200314_162317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

csthompson12

I too have a 575e that had milky color hyd. oil in it... I dumped the tank and and changed the main filter under the tractor, and filled the tank with 134d equivalent oil. I believe it took about 20 gallons to bring it up to the filler window. The filter is a large expensive high pressure spin-on filter. I took a peek at that mesh screen filter like the one pictured above through the filler cap hole, and it looked pretty clean.. Maybe I should have pulled it and cleaned it.

What the best way to clean the suction strainer filters? brake cleaner? Soap and water? I have one on a JCB I want to clean as well..

Setteduke

I have a Ford 555D 96. Here is a leak I found. Only discovered after using machine to pulling stumps, didn’t use loader much yesterday. I don’t have this leak when the machine sits. How do I find our where the leak is located? After reading these threads I have been educated that the fluid has been compromised. Looks milky to me, what do you guys think? I tried to get a good picture. Attached is the best i could muster. thanks for the input and hope I can learn from Cosmaar1 post questions.

Tim

Attachments

• FA9561EE-A7A1-4244-BD7C-E25F84C0AF08.jpeg
    FA9561EE-A7A1-4244-BD7C-E25F84C0AF08.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 7CE815F1-0900-48FC-87F1-677972C46064.jpeg
    7CE815F1-0900-48FC-87F1-677972C46064.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 5729CF6A-C765-4167-AEDE-6B263244BAA9.jpeg
    5729CF6A-C765-4167-AEDE-6B263244BAA9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43

Jlap530

I too have a 575e that had milky color hyd. oil in it... I dumped the tank and and changed the main filter under the tractor, and filled the tank with 134d equivalent oil. I believe it took about 20 gallons to bring it up to the filler window. The filter is a large expensive high pressure spin-on filter. I took a peek at that mesh screen filter like the one pictured above through the filler cap hole, and it looked pretty clean.. Maybe I should have pulled it and cleaned it.

What the best way to clean the suction strainer filters? brake cleaner? Soap and water? I have one on a JCB I want to clean as well..
I have a Ford 555D 96. Here is a leak I found. Only discovered after using machine to pulling stumps, didn’t use loader much yesterday. I don’t have this leak when the machine sits. How do I find our where the leak is located? After reading these threads I have been educated that the fluid has been compromised. Looks milky to me, what do you guys think? I tried to get a good picture. Attached is the best i could muster. thanks for the input and hope I can learn from Cosmaar1 post questions.

Tim

I used a can or 2 of brake clean on my JCB suction strainer. A toothbrush can help with the fine mesh too.

It's definitely worth the couple minutes to pull it off if the hydraulic fluid is already drained. If that gets plugged it's pretty much lights out for the pump.

cosmaar1

Thank you to jimg984, Swetz, and Jlap530 for all your answers. It is much appreciated and the photos help tremendously.

Riddle me this. I have a local Baldwin dealer where I get really great prices on filters. When I do a search for my machine, I get 2 different hydraulic filters. I would assume their site is correct, so I bought both. The problem is, where does the other go???? The BT8874-MPG fits on the filter housing perfectly and matches the original filter that was still on the machine. The BT8880-MPG filter has the same fitting size and is the same width, but the length is 4 inches shorter. Any thoughts?

Here is a link to see the filters I am referencing: https://www.baldwinfilters.com/portal/site/Baldwin/menuitem.cbbae88e045ce676de8fe6de4256d1ca/?vgnextoid=35f91ef39676a610VgnVCM10000025651dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN#/?application=Off-Highway Applications&year=&make=&model=555E&engine=16304&equipment=Loaders, Telehandlers, Trenchers&manufacturer=NEW HOLLAND

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The screen filter in the tank is the suction filter to protect the pump against debris.

Mine didn't really have much trash in it and it has a large enough area I think it would be pretty hard to get enough junk in the tank to clog it. I had lucked across a brand new on on eBay so I had a replacement and didn't clean mine.

I seem to encounter odd repair obstacles I wouldn't wish on others and I have a bad habit of sharing them and scaring folks. ;) That said, I would pull the screen to make sure that piece of rubber hadn't come loose in yours. My tank had a full paper towel sheet floating around in it in addition to the rubber disc coming loose in the screen.

Milky fluid has been a constant problem on mine since I leave it outside. Not sure if it's caused by condensation or rain water getting in around the seals. I have a barn on order to try and solve that issue. I have changed it once or twice a year. Sometimes you can leave it sitting in the buckets and the water will separate and go to the bottom. I have left it sit and siphoned the clear oil off the top and reused it. This last time I don't know why but whatever made it milky would not separate. I left a clear coffee jar of it on my tool box for months and it remained cloudy. Of course all the oil you can't get out has contaminated the new oil so I will need to change it again and again.

The oil in my transmission has never turned cloudy.

cosmaar1

The screen filter in the tank is the suction filter to protect the pump against debris.

Mine didn't really have much trash in it and it has a large enough area I think it would be pretty hard to get enough junk in the tank to clog it. I had lucked across a brand new on on eBay so I had a replacement and didn't clean mine.

I seem to encounter odd repair obstacles I wouldn't wish on others and I have a bad habit of sharing them and scaring folks. ;) That said, I would pull the screen to make sure that piece of rubber hadn't come loose in yours. My tank had a full paper towel sheet floating around in it in addition to the rubber disc coming loose in the screen.

Milky fluid has been a constant problem on mine since I leave it outside. Not sure if it's caused by condensation or rain water getting in around the seals. I have a barn on order to try and solve that issue. I have changed it once or twice a year. Sometimes you can leave it sitting in the buckets and the water will separate and go to the bottom. I have left it sit and siphoned the clear oil off the top and reused it. This last time I don't know why but whatever made it milky would not separate. I left a clear coffee jar of it on my tool box for months and it remained cloudy. Of course all the oil you can't get out has contaminated the new oil so I will need to change it again and again.

The oil in my transmission has never turned cloudy.

I agree with you, if we drain the tank completely, I am going to pop open that side panel and check out the filter just to make sure nothing is stuck on it. I'm sure in the 22 years it has been on this earth, no one has taken a peak inside.

I would also agree that it probably has to do with sitting outside. My tranny fluid also is still clear, but when I leave mine site for a week, the sight glass of the hydraulic reservoir shows good oil. Run it for 5 min and now its milky. The oil you had sitting on your toolbox is completely emulsified. That pretty much means it will never separate no matter what you do.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Here is a list of all the filters from New Holland.

Attachments

• FILTERS.pdf
    276.8 KB · Views: 23

cosmaar1

Would you happen to know off hand what hex size the drain plug is on the reservoir tank? I can’t seem to find anything on the internet that says that. Out of all of the tools I have, unfortunately I don’t have large hex sockets.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
99.9% sure it was 17mm. Hydraulic tank and fuel tank drains are the same size.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
FYI it's tighter than Dick's hatband! I broke my 3/8" drive off in mine and welded it to a piece of bar stock. Had to put a piece of pipe on that to break the plugs loose.
drain-plug-wrench.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Wow, guys, I had no problem removing my plug. just used the 17mm x 1/2" drive with a breaker bar. Couple taps with a hammer and she was free. Once it broke, it was only hand tight, but I left the socket in just to make sure I didn't loose the plug in the drain pan...I hate fishing in a drain pan! New Holland is showing $41.00 for the plug. Toxic, did you bugger it up and have to buy another?

Toxic

Swetz. The previous owner had completly stripped it out so i had no choice but to use the chisel..lol. i didnt buy a new one just put the old one back in hand tight with a monkey wrench