• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555E Hydraulic System

cosmaar1

Got two of mine today and the other two are showing on the way but late. Not going to use the absorbent things until I do an oil and filter change.

Also got my barn finished today so I can keep it out of the rain.
View attachment 219463

if you get rid of that mustang and john deere, you can fit a small dozer and mini-excavator in the smaller bays!!! :)

edgephoto

Love the barn too!

My wife and I are in the process of getting ready to build a house on a chunk of land we bought. I have clearance to get myself a barn. Since I live in New England I would want it fully enclosed. I think the metal building are the most cost effective.

Any chance you would share the price just so I have an idea? PM me if you rather not post here.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Got the other two of my water absorber thingies today. Guess I came in last. :)

edgephoto I don't want to hijack this thread any worse than I did. Will send PM on barn info.

cosmaar1

Love the barn too!

My wife and I are in the process of getting ready to build a house on a chunk of land we bought. I have clearance to get myself a barn. Since I live in New England I would want it fully enclosed. I think the metal building are the most cost effective.

Any chance you would share the price just so I have an idea? PM me if you rather not post here.

My father just built a 24x48 garage, fully enclosed sheet metal sides and roof, with a 14' garage door on one side and 10' on the other side for around 16k. This doesn't include concrete or final grading. He had the Amish build it, so its probably cheaper than a normal contractor.

aighead

My father just built a 24x48 garage, fully enclosed sheet metal sides and roof, with a 14' garage door on one side and 10' on the other side for around 16k. This doesn't include concrete or final grading. He had the Amish build it, so its probably cheaper than a normal contractor.
14k isn't too bad!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Just changed my oil and used one of the water absorbent things. I too and very unimpressed with the amount of desiccant in these things. I'm almost tempted to waste $14 and throw one in a measured amount of water to calculate how much they absorb.

IMG_1855.JPG

The moisture in my oil (if that is what it is) was totally emulsified. I'm not sure if that is possible but no amount of time allowed it to separate and settle to the bottom. The entire volume of oil was milky but still had some clarity to it. Since you can only get about two thirds of it out by changing the tank oil and replacing the filter I thought I would go ahead and throw one of these water absorbent things in. It won't hurt anything but I have serious doubts it will help either.

I HAVE read some reports of the Travelers brand oil becoming cloudy so I'm thinking that might be the issue rather than water. I don't think it's possible to get water in oil that doesn't separate with time.

After changing the oil and filter and cycling all my cylinders the oil in the tank appears to still be clear.

I will save the other 3 water absorbing things I bought in case I ever have a water in fuel issue.

mitch504

It absolutely is possible to get water and oil mixed that never settles out. I have seen it more times than not, it seems like. I have always attributed it to the additive packages in modern oils. After all, that is part of the definition of a detergent.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I do know that auto atf will basically absorb water. I once took some trans fluid and intentionally added water in a clear glass jar. I then shook it up real good and set it on the side. Years later, the water was still mixed in the oil. It did not separate in the 5+ years I had it. I guess if they can put additives in atf that will do that, they can add them to hydraulic oil...don't know if they do, but it makes sense...water mixed in oil will lubricate much better than water separated from oil as it flows thru the system.

cosmaar1

Update:

I put both of mine in the tank on June 14th and pulled them out on 7/2. I have noticed that while the desiccant has swelled slightly, I don't notice any real difference in the fluid color. As we have all stated before, this is a long process and if even 1 OZ of water has been taken out, I am appreciative. I will continue to update as I pull them out again.

cosmaar1

I do have a new thing I never noticed. Does anyone have any idea what these holes are on the side of the hydraulic tank? I just noticed mine recently have been leaking fluid. They are located on both the front side and back side near the rear tire. I tried sticking a screwdriver in, but only could go in 1/4 inch or so. I tried researching on the interwebs, but only could find pictures of other tanks with the same holes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
cosmarr1, WELCOME!

You will find that there are not too many New Holland people on this site, or any other site I have come across. That said, there are a hand full of NH owners. I will help you when I can...NH575E, who has already chimed in is very helpful. He has a lot of knowledge because he has been fixing his tractor a while. I just purchased my NH a couple of months ago, so I have some knowledge, but not much at this point...learning everyday. This is a great forum, trust me. I have been on others. The people here just want to help you fix your tractor.

Anyhow, I just had the round cover off the hydraulic reservoir and took a couple pics of the filter. This filter is a wire mesh filter on the suction side of the system. It is not fine like a return filter. I have read of many plugging up and causing problems. See the pics below. The filter is screwed into the back of the tank. In my pics you will see a bright spot, that is where the drain plug is out in the bottom.
View attachment 217574 View attachment 217577

I have a friend, obsessed with Ford which has become New Holland. He doesn't do forums, but I'll pick his brain. Ford & New Holland are excellent machines, but not as common as Cat, Case & JD. They have a 655, 555, and a New Holland 75?
Their 555 was an orphan, nobody seemed to own it. It got neglected 20 years, only fuel. It still functions OK.
The 655 is 1987? and is the everyday around the pit workhorse. The New Holland is the machine nobody is sure where it is. In large part, it loads round bales. Always a discussion in the family which field it was last seen.
My experience with other manufacturers & their hoes, the suction screen in the transaxle is something you clean, and reuse if it isn't damaged. A soft scrub brush, & solvent will clean it.
A John Deere sends under vacuum from suction screen to charge pump. charge pump back rear to filter. It gets complicated then. Filter includes bypasses, but most fluid goes to 8 cylinder hydraulic pump. From main pump it goes to priority valve, then throughout the tractor for clutch, brakes, steering, loader, stabilizers, and reverser.

I sure hope 555 is less complex than that.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I never thought to look too close at mine but I guess we should check our tool boxes for holes.

I know at one point mine had water standing in it because the drains were clogged. I cleaned them out and I keep chains in it.

aighead

Drains for the tool box? Hmm... I thought that that was my water incursion too, I plugged one of them up before realizing there was another hole on the back side of the tank... It seemed like a lot of fluid was coming out. I still haven't tossed my water absorbing things in yet, been messing with other stuff.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The mention got me thinking. I went ahead and cleaned my tool box out again. Didn't see any holes. I sealed the inside with rubberized undercoat and repainted over that. Probably should have used truck bed liner for more durability since I store chains in it.