• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555E Hydraulic System

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Guys I never thought about the o-ring or seal to be the issue. Come to mind I don’t remember seeing an o-ring when I took the breather off when I changed the oil. Probably be a good idea to purchase both.

What I also found interesting is that the whole new assembly #13 is cheaper than the service kit #16.

I can’t believe I overlooked the seal and o-ring. I’ve looked at the picture tool_king sent 100 times and never realized that those could be the issue :(:mad:
I have used water remover socks that made of plastic with a stainless cable attached to it that you can drop in the taank .You can group several together to help speed up removal . I have some in John Deere skid steer running around right now . They are good for diesel,gasoline ,hydraulics and other oils .I will get the name off them .Now keep in mind they are not going to remove gallons of water .

cosmaar1

I have used water remover socks that made of plastic with a stainless cable attached to it that you can drop in the taank .You can group several together to help speed up removal . I have some in John Deere skid steer running around right now . They are good for diesel,gasoline ,hydraulics and other oils .I will get the name off them .Now keep in mind they are not going to remove gallons of water .

That would be awesome if you could get the name. Thanks!

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner

Attachments

• 20200606_231150.jpg
    20200606_231150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200606_231215.jpg
    20200606_231215.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

Toxic

when i got my 555e there was no rubber oring in the cap either and water in hydrolic oil..put a new o ring and fresh hydraulic filter and no problems since.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Are these a one shot deal or are they reusable?

My 575E had the o-ring missing and I used a oil cap gasket for a Volvo car I had in my old parts stock. It seemed to help for a while but I'm getting water in the tank again. Fixing to put a stop to it next Thursday. Carolina Carports is coming to build my barn with the center sized large enough for the hoe.

aighead

For what it's worth, on my Hydraulic tank, I don't recall seeing a big oring (but I didn't really look) but I did see little orings around each of the little screws that holds the filler neck on (part 20 on the picture above...). All seem like good opportunities for incursion.

I too would like to know more about the socks you are talking about, how do they remove water?

cosmaar1

I have been looking at these to hopefully get a little bit of water out. https://www.newpig.com/pig-water-hog/p/SKM407

I called and spoke with someone at the company directly and they said that they "somewhat" work. The lady told me that while it lists you will get 12 OZ of water out, this number is based on if you drop it in a fuel tank. If in a hydraulic tank, she said you will get right around half that because of the oils attaching itself to the screen. I have not purchased these yet, but plan on doing so soon. Its worth a try.......

cosmaar1

For what it's worth, on my Hydraulic tank, I don't recall seeing a big oring (but I didn't really look) but I did see little orings around each of the little screws that holds the filler neck on (part 20 on the picture above...). All seem like good opportunities for incursion.

I too would like to know more about the socks you are talking about, how do they remove water?

The big o-ring i noticed was on the breather cap itself. It seals the cap to the metal flange. Without it, you will introduce the possibility of water getting into the system.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I have been looking at these to hopefully get a little bit of water out. https://www.newpig.com/pig-water-hog/p/SKM407

I called and spoke with someone at the company directly and they said that they "somewhat" work. The lady told me that while it lists you will get 12 OZ of water out, this number is based on if you drop it in a fuel tank. If in a hydraulic tank, she said you will get right around half that because of the oils attaching itself to the screen. I have not purchased these yet, but plan on doing so soon. Its worth a try.......
$25 a pop. I will just change my oil.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
We use pig products at my work...We use mats and socks, and they work well. I have never seen that contraption. I think I would change the oil too.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner

I will be at the supply house tomorrow to get the name .

cosmaar1

Has anyone changed their hydraulic reservoir breather cap to a brand other than the original OEM New Holland type? I'm looking for something with more of a benefit rather than paying $116 for the new cap +shipping and taxes. I would like something better than what their version is.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I did some measuring and it looks like the screw circle on the flange is 2-7/8". I have found a few with the 2.875 circle but most are bayonet type. The threaded types seem to be small diameter pipe threads.

Donaldson lists a P171855 that might work but they don't even say what the cap type is.

I wouldn't mind finding just a replacement cap that doesn't require a wrench. I looked at mine and tightened the screws and I don't think much if any water would get past the flange.

This place has some if you can make out all the addons.
https://hydro-craft.com/reservoirs-accessories/filler-breathers/filler-breather-assembly-kit.html

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I searched the Donaldson # and found this:

https://www.nriparts.com/item/p171855-assembly-tank-breather-46mm-hydraulic-filter/371030

It is a bayonet style. I would say NG for our application.

Every time I have opened my cap, there has been pressure behind it, even when the machine is off. The hydrocraft shows a threaded option, then 3 different options for pressure. I honestly do not know what pressure the stock cap is rated for. I guess if the bolt pattern is good it may work. I would have to call, I couldn't figure out the model numbers. The price is much easier to stomach for sure.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Their threaded option is 3/4 NPT so it's a smaller opening.

cosmaar1

I did some measuring and it looks like the screw circle on the flange is 2-7/8". I have found a few with the 2.875 circle but most are bayonet type. The threaded types seem to be small diameter pipe threads.

Donaldson lists a P171855 that might work but they don't even say what the cap type is.

I wouldn't mind finding just a replacement cap that doesn't require a wrench. I looked at mine and tightened the screws and I don't think much if any water would get past the flange.

This place has some if you can make out all the addons.
https://hydro-craft.com/reservoirs-accessories/filler-breathers/filler-breather-assembly-kit.html

see I was thinking about just replacing the breather itself and leaving the metal flange plate on. I was able to measure it last night and I got anywhere between 1 1/2” and 1 5/8” for the the thread size of the breather even though it’s probably metric.

I never thought of removing the metal flange. Maybe that will give me more options?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Here are the picture of the water separator .You can put multi separators .They are not refillable once the are filled they are done . Image 4 is the part number my supplier uses.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg