• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEW Cat 150 AWD

20/80

Occupation
operator
I have a grin when I read this thread and you fellas acknowledging the benefits of 6 wheel drive. I grew up with these gadgets when they were new.
We used to have one back in the day in our shop according to the old hands, bought it brand new, was a bugger to keep running though.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Thanks Nige, there is some sort of a steel guard mounted on the inside of the front wheels, not sure if that's the one in your list, the hoses that run to the front drive are held up in place what looks like a leather strap, I'm afraid it wouldn't take much to rip that off, You can see the guard next to the wheel also those leather straps, if this picture loads right

I checked that out when looking at a 140M AWD. Horrible design. Stupid straps that won't save anything!!! What were they thinking!!! JD is bad enough, but not that bad!!!
20190816_093550.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This is the sort of thing I was talking about. I suspect the "Axle Guard" I posted above from the Optional attachments list for the 150M will probably look something like this. The illustration is from a 16M Parts Manual.
Someone ought to ask the dealer for photos of what's available for the 150M AWD model.

upload_2021-6-27_2-5-13.png

Welder Dave

Not sure, just seems to make an odd ticking noise when the machine was revved up and moving faster. Maybe the chains for the tandems?

20/80

Occupation
operator
I checked that out when looking at a 140M AWD. Horrible design. Stupid straps that won't save anything!!! What were they thinking!!! JD is bad enough, but not that bad!!!
View attachment 241376
That's alot neater then what's on the Cat, the JD has alot more protection, the hoses on mine are just hanging and are vulnerable to being hooked and torn off, I will ask about protection plates for those hoses if there is such a guard, Nige's picture of a skid plate i'm not sure would protect the hoses.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
That's alot neater then what's on the Cat, the JD has alot more protection, the hoses on mine are just hanging and are vulnerable to being hooked and torn off, I will ask about protection plates for those hoses if there is such a guard, Nige's picture of a skid plate i'm not sure would protect the hoses.

I looked it over for several minutes. The design of the hub and drive motor require a lot of slack in the hoses. I couldn't see any way to protect that slack.

If you come up with something be sure to post pics here.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I looked it over for several minutes. The design of the hub and drive motor require a lot of slack in the hoses. I couldn't see any way to protect that slack.

If you come up with something be sure to post pics here.
I will for sure, I have been digging and its looks like the guards for the hoses will have to be custom made to allow for the slack for the hub design, we may have to live with it, not liking the strap holding the hoses up, not sure if we can bungee the hoses to the front to keep them from flopping around and getting caught in something.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well I have another problem, or I think its a problem, Cat is coming tomorrow morning, there is 5 fault codes sense the Cat mobile cleared everything when he replaced the ECM 4-5 day's ago, two of the codes are saying low fuel pressure, another one is aftertreatment code, then another code is something the computer is not recognizing, than a tranny overspeed code, not sure how that one pop up never over did any overspeed at anytime during the course of the last 4-5 days, not sure what's normal for DEF fluid I am getting around 30hrs to a full jug, last year when I ran our borrowed 140M3 it hardly used any amount it seems, I will add that no lights or alarms were on, just a warning beep this morning when I left but no warning lights.

Welder Dave

Good grief! Way too many problems for a 500K machine.
I was talking with one of the guys from the gravel pit close to my land and he said they bought some new Volvo machines and have no problems with them at all. The new Cat machines they've bought continue to have issues needing a tech to come out. He said Volvo are the best machines reliability wise and will be their first choice for more new machines. Excavators and dozers they'll stay with Cat.

big ben

not sure what's normal for DEF fluid I am getting around 30hrs to a full jug, last year when I ran our borrowed 140M3 it hardly used any amount it seems, I will add that no lights or alarms were on, just a warning beep this morning when I left but no warning lights

Assuming none of the codes are affecting the emissions system performance, it’s not how many jugs you put in as much as % of DEF to fuel burn.
In my experience 4-6% is doing well 8-10% is getting up there.

Track your fuel when you fill up if possible and divide the L of DEF to L of fuel to determine DEF burn.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Buddy in our sister shop that is operating the 140m3 I will ask him this morning how much DEF he uses normally, he keeps track of everything with his machine, he's on engine number 3, also new blade, new circle, and A frame circle support, all bent, just to name a few, warranty covered it, downtime to fix was awful.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Well I have another problem, or I think its a problem, Cat is coming tomorrow morning, there is 5 fault codes sense the Cat mobile cleared everything when he replaced the ECM 4-5 day's ago, two of the codes are saying low fuel pressure, another one is aftertreatment code, then another code is something the computer is not recognizing, than a tranny overspeed code, not sure how that one pop up never over did any overspeed at anytime during the course of the last 4-5 days, not sure what's normal for DEF fluid I am getting around 30hrs to a full jug, last year when I ran our borrowed 140M3 it hardly used any amount it seems, I will add that no lights or alarms were on, just a warning beep this morning when I left but no warning lights.

These things are more like my problems were. Nothing that prevented the machine from being used. Just a constant aggravation.

As to DEF, I'll use 2.5 gallon DEF for each 100 gallon of diesel. That varies with work load and outside air temperature.

Thanks for the update.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well the Cat mobile was here this morning and did his thing with the laptop, reconfigured the system got rid of the codes, everything is back up to snuff...BUT... We found another PROBLEM!! oil is now leaking out from around the starter and is dripping on the rear skid plate, starter bolts are all tight, he will be back on Friday to pull the starter and put in a new gasket kit, also he is bringing some wrap for my front hoses the ones they have for harvesters that work in the woods for some extra protection, bugs, bugs, and more bugs, was also talking to my buddy in regards to DEF usage he figures mine is using about the right amount compared to his 140m, I hope this is just growing pains!!!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
JD Tech told me we should use 3% DEF. I'm a little under that most of the time.