• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEW Cat 150 AWD

20/80

Occupation
operator
A good instructor can really motivate those who want to learn. They had very good instructors when I took my apprenticeship but some of them were a little lazy and I remember one of them who could almost put the whole class to sleep. Just the way he talked and explained things made it very boring.
What's important is to figure out the new operators learning curve, some get it right away and some don't, my job is to figure out how a new operator learns and see things, that way I can put what I want them to do in a way that they understand plus keeping them motivated, there is lot's of steps and moves they have to absorb, having lot's of patience helps.

Welder Dave

For sure. I'd bet the new operators really appreciate that you realize everybody learns and comprehends things a little differently. That's the problem with a lot of teachers in grade school. 30% of the class understands so the teacher just keeps on going while the rest of class is always playing catch up. I never had very good handwriting unless I went really slow and I know why. I was sick the day the grade 3 teacher taught everyone how to hold a pen. It's one of those things you don't really think of at the time but later on you realize the teacher failed to catch you up on an important lesson. You wouldn't know because you weren't there that day. At least my writing is readable unlike some I've seen.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I've never been an instructor. But I've had the opportunity to be an informer several times. Mostly with existing operators that without even knowing it are susceptible to learning a new trick or two. One such operator is a friend of mine that I'll visit with 3-4 times a year. I've know him all my life. You can't tell him anything. You have to lead him to water and then patiently wait for him to drink.

Here's an example. Several years ago he asked me if I had trouble with my engine air filter plugging with snow dust? I said nope, haven't since JD started using an ejector system on the air intake. He was running a machine just like mine. He said I have to carry a spare filter and after a couple hours swap them and carry the plugged one in the cab so it'll thaw out to be reused. I said your ejector isn't working. He said no that's not the problem. I said are you sure? He said yeah. I said it's easy to remove it from the air intake stack and reach inside to make sure it's free and spinning. I then realized by the look on his face he had no idea how the ejector worked.... He repeated, that's not the problem. The conversation ended.

Couple months later I was driving by his grader shed and he was there. I stopped. Asked if he figured out the air filter problem? He said nope, still carrying a spare filter. I asked if he checked the ejector. He again gave me that look and said no. I asked to borrow his pliers. Crawled up on the grader and removed the ejector. Stuck my hand in and it was frozen solid, wouldn't turn. I showed this to him and said he needed to see about getting a new one. He again gave me that look and said okay.

Couple months later I saw him at the gas station. He immediately started a conversation about the air filter. Proudly stated that he had fixed the problem by replacing the ejector. No thank you. No appreciation. No, if you ever need anything let me know. Just self pride in his accomplishment.

I always feel bad for people like that. Their own ego gets in the way of their personal improvement. Residents in his township complain about him all the time.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Here's another example with the same guy.

Couple years ago I was visiting with him in the Winter. In conversation he asked if I had problems keeping my windows clear in the Winter when pushing snow? I said not really. As the day or night progresses I might change the heater setting or divert the air flow a different direction. I try to keep my windows cold most of the time and not cause snow dust to melt and stick to the glass. He said, not on the outside, I'm talking about the inside. Again I said no. He said my cab interior is so wet that I have trouble getting the door open the next day after it sits and gets cold. He said everything inside the cab is covered in frost. I have to get the machine cranked and let it run for 30 minutes to get everything thawed so I can run......

I said your AC isn't working. He said no that's not the problem, I'm talking about the heater. I said yeah, your AC isn't working. He gave me that look and said what does the AC have to do with the heater? I said I never turn off the AC compressor. Never. Adjust the temp in the cab with the heat control. Always run the AC to keep the cab air dry. He gave me that look and changed the subject. JD uses a separate button to activate the AC. Then you control the heat level with a turn knob. Fan speed with a separate knob.

Month or so ago I asked him how the heater situation was in his cab? He said no problems and changed the subject. He wasn't able to admit that he didn't know to always run the AC even though he's ran a grader for 15 years.

I try to always have an open mind. My Mom told me many, many times, you'll learn more listening than you ever will talking.

Welder Dave

I can't stand people that dismiss you but then take credit for what they learned from you or you suggested. Some people just want to disagree with you because they think they know more. I remember 1 apprentice I was working with who just got back from his 1st year schooling. He thought he knew it all and instead of working with me thought he was going to show me better ways to do things. I just kind of shook my head and let him do his thing... until he had an idea that he thought would save a lot of time. It would have required a lot of rework to correct. Half way through he realized why his way wouldn't have worked. He was pretty humbled after that and I think realized why he was working with more experienced tradesmen. He never acknowledged that he was wrong but you could tell. He wasn't nearly as gung ho that he knew it all.

20/80

Occupation
operator
There is all kinds out there, I have been invited to sit in on a 3 day grader training session put on by another district for some new operators, this is there first time ever putting on road recovery and ditching training, I have never seen that district do any road recovery or ditching other than with a hoe, thinking they were watching a lot of youtube vids lately on it, should be interesting to say the least.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
There is all kinds out there, I have been invited to sit in on a 3 day grader training session put on by another district for some new operators, this is there first time ever putting on road recovery and ditching training, I have never seen that district do any road recovery or ditching other than with a hoe, thinking they were watching a lot of youtube vids lately on it, should be interesting to say the least.

Give us an update on how that goes. Sounds like that district is trying to improve. Also sounds like they respect your knowledge and experience. You'll be an asset to them for sure.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Give us an update on how that goes. Sounds like that district is trying to improve. Also sounds like they respect your knowledge and experience. You'll be an asset to them for sure.
Well the training went as I expected, where I was not Hosting the training and there to help out, the Instructor for that area USED to run a grader 10-15 years ago, did not have much experience on the new stuff, he was used to a straight frame old champion, lol, anyway he kept getting his ass in the air every time I tried to help the new operators it seemed, the new operators came away from that training totally confused, kinda sad, the new guy's had real potential, I did show them a few moves that help them, i'm glad for that and they were happy, this happens from time to time, Instructors that are hired by the department that have alot of experience written down on their Resume's but when asked to perform the tasks they are suppose to and were hired on based on those claims were finally called on it, and can't do the job, I do what I do on a voluntary basis to help and share info to help new operators, I learn everyday to.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Most " instructors " have the gift of the gab and that's all. The real sad part is that those who flunked these courses today will become the instructors of tomorrow.

Welder Dave

Equipment has come a long ways in the last 15 years, especially graders. That guy can come and run my old Champion if he wants.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Equipment has come a long ways in the last 15 years, especially graders. That guy can come and run my old Champion if he wants.
The guy was nice enough but as a hired equipment trainer there are so many pieces of gear they have to train operators on that it would be hard to stay sharp on just one over the years, being away from just running a grader everyday you would loose your ability to remain connected with the machine, you would still have the concept of grading but your capability to operate would be at a loss, like you said lots has changed, lol, he would probably love to run your Champion.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well my old baby 140H the one pictured in my Avatar has laid down, she drop a couple of valves last week and caused some internal damage also, over 15000 hrs, motor has never been touched, they are putting a new Cat reman in her where she is in such good shape, she gave me hours of reliability and helped me learn, what a great grader it has been and still is.:)

terex herder

Those who can, do
Those who can't do, teach
Those who can't teach, administrate

Or the Peter Principal says about the same thing: "In any hierarchical organization, a person will rise to their level of incompetence, and remain there.