• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

michigan 75a wheel loader

Komatsu 150

I realize that was 3 questions , I just did not think about the number. Thanks for all the info you two it always helps me a lot. It there any way one of you could send me an email of all the 75a updates?

Yea no problem, I'll send it tonight. There's only a few. Luckily these machines won't generally move at idle with the bucket down. There was a mechanic killed in our town many years ago when he started a bigger Michigan with a screwdriver or other tool while standing between the tires. I don't know if it was deliberate or just put a tool in the wrong place.

Komatsu 150

Dilpics, I sent you the supplements I have by e-mail. There was another one regarding retrofit of a transmission filter but I don't seem to have it in my records. I know it exists because I made the change in our machine. They originally did not have a transmission filter.

Komatsu 150

I hope he's got it. It is a simple install, an external cartridge filter that that is connected to one of the cooler lines. The only other protection is a very coarse screen in the trans.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
My manual does show a remote transmission filter to be on the machine Manual # 1199
The only bulletin I have is one related to three brands of filter housings used and center bolt torque. The filter shown is mounted to the right side of the frame and plumbed into the return side of the oil cooler line.
I'll dig in and see if I have a parts book or some other info. Volvo dealer should have old parts list for all Clark machines.

Dillpics

I went to use my loader today and when I went to load the bucket or back drag, it would bairly move. So I figured I would check the tranny fluid level and it was down so I shut it off added a quart and waited a few min then started it back up and atf cept coming ou the breather on the torque converter. Any ideas what I should check or what to do?

Komatsu 150

I went to use my loader today and when I went to load the bucket or back drag, it would bairly move. So I figured I would check the tranny fluid level and it was down so I shut it off added a quart and waited a few min then started it back up and atf cept coming ou the breather on the torque converter. Any ideas what I should check or what to do?

A quart of trans fluid on these machines has no affect. It has to be down a gal. or two to notice much difference in operation. Just asking but are you checking the fluid at the transmission and adding at the converter? This is why the factory changed the method of checking fluid level. After the engine is shut off the system will flood the transmission with oil draining back from the converter. If you then check oil the fluid level will be too low when running. When shut off the fluid level in the transmission will be much higher than the check plug if the system has the proper amount of oil. I know it doesn't seem right but the oil should be added slowly at the converter plug with machine idling until oil dribbles out the transmission check plug hole. It takes time for the oil to run to the transmission so you can't go to fast or you will overfill. We used to let the machine idle with the check hole open for a few minuses after filling and then try again to add some oil. At the moment I can't remember there being an actual vent on the converter housing. I'll take a look later today.

Dillpics

I checked the level with it ideling and it was low. So I shut it off and added the oil in the converter waited 3 min then started it and that's when the oil came out the breather. I read today that pressing on the brakes opens a valve on the tranny that converts all power to the hyd is this true? The breather thing has me puzzled!

Dillpics

I'm also wondering if it should be there. I checked the manual I got today and nothing I see says about one and nothing I see shows one eather! Anyway I was in heaven today because I drove to get my missing parts, the one bumper on the gas tank, the frount headlights, 3 complete dashes ( I only needed one), the parking brake handle, the lever for working range and travel range, the panel on the right side of the seat. Both panels for the engine compartment, the choke linkage, the linkage for the govener, and the trottle linkage, the rear red lights, a complete intake up to the carb and I also got a carb that was totally redone. I got it all for 200 dollars and I thought I got a great deal. Now its time to get it all on and fix the tranny so I can move some dirt!

Komatsu 150

Wow good parts shopping. The only breather I see is on the trans. There is a device in the transmission that puts it into neutral every time you step on the brake. In a roundabout way that says all the engine power is transferred into the hydraulics instead of straining against the brakes. Later machines have a switch to turn this feature on and off or they have two brake pedals, one does it and one doesn't. It sounds good but not so with these machines. I disabled the function in ours by plugging the ports at the master cylinder and transmission. We ran it like that for many years. The problem is this: in an old Michigan the transmission shift is pretty slow. I would see my operators always step on the throttle as they took their foot off the brake. This would cause a terrific bang as it shifted. With the system disconnected they would just naturally put the trans in neutral when they got up to the truck to dump. I thought it was much easier on the transmission to block the feature. Since Michigan put in a selector switch later I thought it would do no harm and we never had any brake problems in particular.

Dillpics

komatsu does yout converter have one big pump or does it have 3? My michigan is one of the early ones. It has only one big pump on the converter. My power steering is at the frount of the engine. Another way I can tell is mine takes the shorter side covers for the engine compartment. At some point michigan made the 75a a few inches longer. If you have a newer machine you might not have a breather.

Dillpics

I just got it confermed the breather should be there. Now all I need is to figure out why oil comes out that breather and the fill plug when I take it out. Its almost like something is resticted in the system.

Komatsu 150

komatsu does yout converter have one big pump or does it have 3? My michigan is one of the early ones. It has only one big pump on the converter. My power steering is at the frount of the engine. Another way I can tell is mine takes the shorter side covers for the engine compartment. At some point michigan made the 75a a few inches longer. If you have a newer machine you might not have a breather.

I have the three pumps. I think I would pull the hose that drains oil from the converter drive housing to the transmission and see if it's clear.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
If you have a C303 Converter, the converter charge pump is internal, a C272 Converter would have an external charge pump.

Dillpics

im back

Its been way to long since I was last on here but this year has been very hard on me money wise. I finally got some extra time and money again to finish the loader and get it dissambeled for paint. I have been using it around our place and I'm amazed the engine runs as good as it does on the junk pump gas we have today! I have a wheel cylinder to rebuild and then a tranny problem to get sorted out then it is pretty much good to go. Does anyone know how much a michigan 35a series one weighs? That is my next project and I wanted to know if it was lite enough to haul on a 10,000 lb trailer.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I thought that you had a 75A, weight on 75A is 12,550 for gas powered, 12,750 for diesel. 35A should be close to 10,000
I'll have to do some looking for the 35A specs. to be sure.

Dillpics

I do have a 75 now but when this one is done I'm buying a 35a and wanted to know the weight so I knew what I needed to haul it home.

Cfix

Please help. Have a very old 75A (serial number 9601) with a engine mounted hydraulic pump for the steering. The shaft is loose on the pump and took out the seal which is now letting hydraulic fluid into the engine. I cant seem to find a new or rebuilt pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Loader had a 6 cylinder gas engine and pump is mounted on the front of engine (back of loader) and has a 05-10100 cast into it.

Thanks