• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Wes J

I don't think I have ever run into a true split rim. Are those the ones that have to have the air let out before you can pull the lug nuts?

Still lots of trailers running around here with 10x15 tube tires. They work OK, but you have to watch the load rating. Would be better to switch them all over to 17.5s.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Split ring still falls under split rim. Three piece wheels were the worst, rim, solid ring, split locking ring sat between solid ring and rim, still on HE. Any of them do not seat, will not line up, too much rust or do not look well I cut up and tell the owner or myself BUY A NEW WHEEL!!

td25c

I will say there is a big difference between true split rims (60's and 70's Chevy C50 type) and lock ring rims. The old Chevies had the Goodyear rims that did split in the center, those were kinda scary when you actually saw how much engagement the lock surfaces had... it wasn't much. Lock ring types especially the Firestone with the angled groove lock ring would not loose a ring unless the tire went flat. I've had 3 blowouts on 10.00-20 steers that never lost a ring.

Our 1966 Chevy C60 uses the " true " split rims front & rear .

Truck Shop

I will call you tomorrow afternoon on weather I will run to Ephrata Sunday morning or not RZ. If I do I will leave at 5:30 am to be there at 8:00 am.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I will call you tomorrow afternoon on weather I will run to Ephrata Sunday morning or not RZ. If I do I will leave at 5:30 am to be there at 8:00 am.

Truck Shop
I just got your voicemail, been at the eye doc most of the afternoon. Eyes dilated and all that good stuff. I'm ready to go when you are.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
As I build my little $500 grain wagon I will keep the split rims until those come due then will as TS states get 22.5 tubeless Daytons or if the truck gets too old will get a replacement hopefully with Budds.
Just saw this post, 22.5" rims to fit 20" Dayton centers are cheap too. I did up my F-800 service truck going that route. It was the same price total for radial tires and rims as it was to go with 10-20's and new tubes, flaps and crap 10x20 tires.

Mother Deuce

Knew was in the 60's, thought was earlier but been wrong before! Always liked the Dodge PW but the trucks were well past dated by then and time had moved past them, now just conversation pieces. Guy in Americus MO has three, one runner two parts donors, all early 60's. He also had two W300's a 1967 and a 1968, won't sell any of the machines, I asked!
Hmmm That is a conversation piece I would like to have for weekend driver!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MD those trucks still had the old Dodge L-Head 6, with a four speed and manual transfer case MANUAL steer no power brakes, drive like a real truck!!

The concept was a good thought by Dodge, use existing molds and materials build a "Farmer's" universal truck many of which were factory winch and dual output PTO assemblies for driving towed attachments. Sorry to say parts supplies are petering out nationwide and only a few were trying to keep the high moving parts available.

Mother Deuce

MD those trucks still had the old Dodge L-Head 6, with a four speed and manual transfer case MANUAL steer no power brakes, drive like a real truck!!

The concept was a good thought by Dodge, use existing molds and materials build a "Farmer's" universal truck many of which were factory winch and dual output PTO assemblies for driving towed attachments. Sorry to say parts supplies are petering out nationwide and only a few were trying to keep the high moving parts available.
After Kenworth center point steering LOL! I am OK with manual steering. I stick my big misshapen thumbs in the spokes of the wheel! :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

I think somewhere I posted about using these PW's for welding rigs, My bad, they were M-37 military trucks with Nissan diesel conversions. They had the Wittenberg fiberglass hoods and cab tops. Very slow but in 1st gear and low range they would idle up most any slope we worked on.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Parts for Dodge one ton Power Wagons are readily available with a little looking. Vintage Power Wagons, in Fairfield Iowa has a huge parts supply. Many nationwide parts stores have items, but their idiot counter workers don't know how to look them up. I have rebuilt old W300's and M37's. Currently the Big annual Power Wagon Rally is finishing up in Fairfield Iowa. Most likely over 100 Dodge trucks are there.
Unfortunately, Power Wagons have been "discovered" by collectors and prices are out of this World, even for old Junkers in need of total rebuild. Really neat truck photos of these Dodges can be found on the Dodge Power Wagon Forum website.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I owned a K100C with RW Center Point, absolutely WORTHLESS except for the hubs sticking out to sell axle cap covers and use for a step!!.

I owned a W300, 1969 version, spring shackle pins I got the last two needing six, was nothing available on the old 14x1 1/2 shoe rears and the 11 x 1 1/4 fronts there were no parts guides even mention them and that was early 90's. Even the old Spicer u-joints were a special order as odd sized, yokes were a mess and had to be built up for reuse rather than buying replacements. Nothing on that old wagon was readily available just 20 some years ago.