• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You are correct. The funny thing is, there are more parts available now than 20 years ago. I know there are reproduction parts avail. That we're not around back then. Also, the internet has made finding parts a lot easier. It is really not hard to find the parts to rebuild a W300 or an M37 Dodge. It is just getting very expensive. I could not afford to do it again, I know that.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Who was those Old Farts rolling in the dirt!!!

Looked like you two did fine, axles come out pretty easy?
Axles came out real easy, bearings were grease packed, put the covers back on and easy peasy. Hooking up was almost an issue, the front tires had sunk in almost 2'' and the forks just barely cleared under the axle.
Otherwise all went well.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So those had the outer and inner seal grease packed hubs? Been a long time since had any of those apart. S-cam or Bendix brakes, caged easily on parking chambers I take it. Good thing as to not sunk too far. Sounds like a fruitful day for you two.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
So those had the outer and inner seal grease packed hubs? Been a long time since had any of those apart. S-cam or Bendix brakes, caged easily on parking chambers I take it. Good thing as to not sunk too far. Sounds like a fruitful day for you two.
S-Cam, with no spring chambers. pretty easy to knock them loose. Just heard from Mike, he made it home with no problems on the road. just took it slow and easy.

td25c

That is really interesting countryside you have !

Mountains in some areas , green grass & trees in others and the last picture almost looks like badland / desert country .:cool:

I would love to get out that direction some time .:)

20180610_111448[1].jpg

Truck Shop

Parked it for now. Plus I found another B73 or 75 on my way home, I will to check that one out. It's parked among other old critters.

Truck Shop

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 002.JPG

Truck Shop

TD25c if I wanted to use chains I would have bought a cable rig, fact is it was a easy hook. I spent 85% of my time airing up the tires. And using chain forks, those are for wrecks.
The whole point of a wheel lift is leverage, try one you'll like like it move into this century.:D

Truck Shop

td25c

TD25c if I wanted to use chains I would have bought a cable rig, fact is it was a easy hook. I spent 85% of my time airing up the tires. And using chain forks, those are for wrecks.
The whole point of a wheel lift is leverage, try one you'll like like it move into this century.:D

Truck Shop

I'm going to ride it out " Old School " with the 750 Holmes beds for the duration .

Like you say ... It's all about leverage .

I like wrapping chains on Mack trucks behind a KW .:D

wrecker%20quad%20007[1][1].JPG

Truck Shop

She had no trace of a driveline brake. but was set up for an old trailer style e-brake for the drivers, but once the air bleeds off...

Oh that B has all the latest and greatest in driver comfort and innovations. By the way RZ I transplanted those yellow jackets in Walla Walla, They were still there clinging to the nest
when I got here.:p

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I'm going to ride it out " Old School " with the 750 Holmes beds for the duration .

Like you say ... It's all about leverage .

I like wrapping chains on Mack trucks behind a

View attachment 182335

We have a big problem here... The hoist hook on the passenger side is backwards, throwing the balance of the universe into chaos. but since the force is with you... :D

Truck Shop

Your forgetting TD that I owned and operated a Holmes 750 on my 66 Pete. Know all about those and operated a 850 Holmes and it will make a 750 look sick. Plus I had
met Ed Zackovitch 35 plus years ago and operated the Z30 Zacklift mounted on a 79 Western Star that had a Holmes 750 on it. How much time did it take to remove
that bumper? Try removing a plastic one on any newer semi along side the freeway and it's pulling a 53 footer. And you can't just drop the trailer right there. To remove one
of the newer plastic units 1 hr minimum some 1.5 plus. My old rig below. Now back to memories for old truckers.IMG_0002_NEW.jpg 66 Tow.jpg 66 Tow Side.jpg

Truck Shop