• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Word today was enlightening. I managed to keep moving with a exploded side spider gear, the side support bearing had failed(uncertain which first) and spun the race in the housing ear bore. Getting a drop in shipped in, be here Monday.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Good eye crane op .

Old School " Budd's " were riveted . Run them on the Insley crane .View attachment 182171
Years back I used to take those riveted rims and blow out the rivets and move the centers to make single drive wheels fit 68" spud rows, those were used on "opener" trucks that had to run in rows that hadn't been dug out. 2 passes both ways and the trucks with duals could run in the cleared rows.

Truck Shop

I don't screw with cookie cutter wheels, as a mater of a fact the ones on that B75 will get the lock ring torched before scrapping. I won't ask a tire shop to work on those wheels.
A dump truck was on a city street in a small town near here lost a steer tire. Unfortunately there was a lady walking on the side walk, the lock ring flew off and killed her.
Those type of wheel are too old now to be reliable.

Truck Shop

td25c

Years back I used to take those riveted rims and blow out the rivets and move the centers to make single drive wheels fit 68" spud rows, those were used on "opener" trucks that had to run in rows that hadn't been dug out. 2 passes both ways and the trucks with duals could run in the cleared rows.

I tell ya what ...... It's those damn " Hot Rodder's " that come up with a simple solution to the problem every time . :D

td25c

I don't screw with cookie cutter wheels, as a mater of a fact the ones on that B75 will get the lock ring torched before scrapping. I won't ask a tire shop to work on those wheels.
A dump truck was on a city street in a small town near here lost a steer tire. Unfortunately there was a lady walking on the side walk, the lock ring flew off and killed her.
Those type of wheel are too old now to be reliable.

Truck Shop

Split rim lock ring spook you a little Truck Shop ?

crane operator

I don't think you could ever run the kind of miles that truck shop's guys run with the old tube type. They just generate too much heat and won't make the miles that they need to run. I'd seen the riveted rims on the old 2 ton style trucks, but nothing that big.

I still have one rig with 12.00r20 steer and 11.00r20 drives, and another one with 14.00r20's. I really don't mind them too much, if a guy has tube's and flaps around, you don't have to worry about setting a bead on the side of the road. You can actually still purchase new dayton lock ring rims.

Glad you made it back Dmiller. I lost a front diff a couple years ago on a international, Reman third member fixed it, but in a hurry putting it back together someone didn't put the fill plug back in. I know him very, very personally. In fact he's the same guy that got to buy the second reman diff, to replace the first reman diff. So put the plug back in after you fill the diff.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't quite understand why everybody hates split rims so much either. I mean 30 years ago they were everywhere and nobody batted an eye. 30 more years does not necessarily make the metal weaker. Is it tire men not being experienced, the grooves being filled with rust or rusted away the shoulders, what? What goes wrong with them now that did not go wrong with them then? Or was human life just less valuable and people did not care when they exploded back in the day?

td25c

Great point Birken !

People forgot how to change a tire is my take on it . ;)

Old tubes hold air good , no rim leaks .

My God ...... We aint trying to put another feller on the moon .. LOL ! :D

Last edited:

crane operator

The trailers that haul conex/ shipping containers around still run 20's also. I was talking to a transportation guy about it, he said they run 20's so the tires and rims wouldn't get stolen and resold to trucking outfits.

It helps with inventory, don't have to have tires tubes and flaps, just tires.

I have seen a lock ring go rolling down the road beside me when I blew out a steer tire.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
They don’t bother me. I’ve lost count of how many 10.00x15’s I did way back. Fair amount of 14.00x20’s too. I never had a problem but I watched a 14.00 come unwound once. It wasn’t the lock ring, they decided to fix a tire I refused to repair and the sidewall blew out. Threw a 220-240 pound man across the shop like a rag doll...just the escaping air. Tire and rim was in the cage.

We’ve all heard the horror stories. I don’t miss them but at the same time if they were on something I own or a friends equipment I’d fix them. Safely of course.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I don't quite understand why everybody hates split rims so much either. I mean 30 years ago they were everywhere and nobody batted an eye. 30 more years does not necessarily make the metal weaker. Is it tire men not being experienced, the grooves being filled with rust or rusted away the shoulders, what? What goes wrong with them now that did not go wrong with them then? Or was human life just less valuable and people did not care when they exploded back in the day?

I have more than one piece of equipment setting in the yard here that have the tubeless split wheel rims with the rubber gasket. They do need to be darn clean when assembling. I would not want to blow one off on the earthmover tires running at 120,000 plus lbs. on 4 tires.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I tell ya what ...... It's those damn " Hot Rodder's " that come up with a simple solution to the problem every time . :D

These were slow speed rigs that didn't see any road use. They were welded well with plug welds through the old rivet holes and the centers were welded all the way around, probably stronger than the original. I never had one fail. Today... I wouldn't touch it because of the liability issues.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

I will say there is a big difference between true split rims (60's and 70's Chevy C50 type) and lock ring rims. The old Chevies had the Goodyear rims that did split in the center, those were kinda scary when you actually saw how much engagement the lock surfaces had... it wasn't much. Lock ring types especially the Firestone with the angled groove lock ring would not loose a ring unless the tire went flat. I've had 3 blowouts on 10.00-20 steers that never lost a ring.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have repaired my own share of split rim tube types, always had a cage to set them in, always worked off the rim side not the ring side, have seen one fill a cage, seen a man that used no cage die so have every respect for them just know my limits with them. It was the three piece wheels that scared the hell out of the industry, no standard where if a Firestone got mixed in with Goodyear parts or vice versa then the damage was extreme. Big quarry machines still use a split rim as do most of the cranes I have been around recently, still get flats fixed and tires changed but are relatively slow speed limited scope of any chance to mix parts and the tire shop people DO inspect them religiously.

Truck Shop

Split rim lock ring spook you a little Truck Shop ?

No those splitters don't scare me me, but the price of steel tubeless wheels are cheap so there is no need to run split rims. Plus screwing around with a tube most of it
is not cost effective on any type of truck. For $hit sake if it's a out side tire on drive or trailer that's flat they can dismount and mount a tubeless tire and never remove
the wheel from the truck. There's another factor {weight}. Aluminum's with low-pro 22.5's are the lightest combination.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As I build my little $500 grain wagon I will keep the split rims until those come due then will as TS states get 22.5 tubeless Daytons or if the truck gets too old will get a replacement hopefully with Budds.