• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

56wrench

I wonder what the point in having doors on a truck that opened different?
. I suspect it was so the door hinges could be spread far enough apart to allow some rigidity to the upper part of the door frame which would not be possible if they were on the leading edge of the door. I am assuming you are referring to the cab-over

Old Doug

. I suspect it was so the door hinges could be spread far enough apart to allow some rigidity to the upper part of the door frame which would not be possible if they were on the leading edge of the door. I am assuming you are referring to the cab-over
This truck has a regular door on the drivers side and a suicide on the passengers.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Do you have any history on that old dump truck?

Yes that is a 1957 Diamond T Ralph bought it new with Cummins 180 ??or 220 he worked the truck on the Rodgers pas highway and other jobs. He parked truck in late 60's or so. Then used it around his farm here. He Parked it on a bit of a hill as he would not spend money for new batteries so he gave it a push with his 440 JD cat then jump off and run to truck jump in. After many times of doing this he was not fast enough and wheels were not straight and truck ended up on a rock pile and broke the oil pan. then pulled truck back to the top and parked it. Then my friend Roy got it. Early 2000?? Roy soled it and we had to deliver truck and low bed would not make it into Ralph's yard to we lowered truck box. Don in load pulled me and truck to road, Roy put a 4x4 for wheel choke then Don got behind and we hooked up a chain for the 1/2 mile down a fair sized hill. Between the 3 of us dumb truck drivers we never safety wired the chain. So we went 50ft, and loader made a slight steering correction and cam off. So no brakes in 2 truck lengths I more than doubled my speed. What a crappy feeling big white steering wheel in my hands and going fast no noise got past a power pole and a bolder or 2 then stuffed truck into ditch. Spring time ditch was soft and right front dug into bank and I got stopped. Got truck truck out and did hook up chain the correct way and also a second chain for safety, then pushed on to low bed.

Truck Shop

A Diamond REO Raider built between 74 & 75. Less than 800 built. I have only seen one in person, it was
a logger at one time/setting in Cashmere, Wa.

300995765_10210389682535955_3876743558736258058_n.jpg

Truck Shop

The first unit is a 64 Pete, the box and boom were moved to a late 70's 4070 International. It's still used
in recovery and resides in Dayton Wa just up the road. The second unit in the line up {second photo} the
K100, I operated at one time for the shop I worked at. 335 with a married 4x4. 1963 year/model. 1" boom
line 3/4" deck line wire rope. Boom 45 ton deck 40 ton. Brown Lipe 4 speed pto with reverser, 4 speeds out
4 speeds in no free spool. Continental had no mutts-any one of those pictured could put the hurt on.

R.jpg