• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Old Doug

I had some thing happen on my 1963 F600 2 days ago. I was hauling a load of scrap i had to go through town the last light i had to stop at i started stopping way before the light the peddle was hard did not have much brakes . I got stopped and happen to think my seat cover had gotten down around the vac booster breather . I moved it and had brakes agin. I had brakes 3 more stops but after that the peddle got hard agin. I think i have a NOS booster i hope its no telling what a new one would run now days.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hydrovacs are getting slim these days
Neighbor had one do similar, he finally found enough parts to build his own as to diaphragm and seals. Took local parts shop three weeks to get it all together.

Beaten but a solid old original Super Duty Ford. 429?

Old Doug

A year ago I was looking around on the internet and I found 3 or 4 shops that rebuild or exchange big truck boosters.
I have heard you could get kits for them i may have to look into this if my other one dosent pan out. This is a very handy truck and i have gotten alot of use out of it but i have thought about getting a dump trailer so i could do away with the expense of have so many trucks going .

JaredV

I just spent the last month and a half binge reading this thread. Great stuff! Just like sitting around the coffee table listening to old, er, more experienced guys swapping stories.

On the R-180 above with the flatbed and log trailer, would the trailers have had vacuum brakes?

Love the L,R,S series! I know there are others on here who don't agree, but of all the manufacturers who used the same cabs on pickups and trucks I think IH had the best looking with that series.