• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

I like when people post photos like this about a truck they have for sale. 1984 Pete 359 with a Big Cam II
putting out close to 500 HP it says, Ah huh. Been running way hot on the pyro, notice the discolored tan
paint where crossover bolts to aftercooler. Just a tad warm.

What's the switch thing before the fuel solenoid? Some kind of emergency switch-if no oil pressure/ high temp= it shuts off the fuel? We had a old hewitt system shut down on some cranes I used to run that had shut downs for oil pressure and temp.

And yes, its fun to see people's "500 hp" stuff for sale.

cummins big cam 359_LI.jpg

Truck Shop

I have a early BCVI CPL676 that I'm going convert to FFC when I start rebuilding it shortly, It has a Ryton Gov.
Basically it will be a BCIII when done with 401C jakes.

crane operator

My Mexican bolt piece of crap is the strongest, most reliable, hardest working piece of crap I've ever made payments on

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you as a dodge owner, it was more a response to truck shops "american" truck comments, when they actually aren't american any more- in my mind. I own a little bit of everything myself- including a '01 24v dodge. (I actually don't own any GM products right now- but have in the past)

I just find it amusing the guys that are "Rah Rah buy american" (which I try to buy domestic myself as much as I can), and they look down at a honda/toyota/ nissan. When the honda/ toyota/ nissan may be built here, and they are driving a german or french company product built in mexico. I think the loss of domestic manufacturing is a disaster for our country and economy.

I'm ashamed to say, but I personally have now developed grades of purchasing. I try to buy made here if at all possible. 2nd tier is canada, Japan, western europe. 3rd tier is mexico, taiwan, korea. Basically democratic trading partners.

And if there's absolutely positively no other way, I might buy china, or I might just do without, rather than giving them my money. But its a lot of work to avoid buying their products.

Truck Shop

Used as engine load control for pto/wet kit or pump. Under a static situation with a PT pump RPM can
climb when throttled up for pto speed. The Ryton will keep at a constant level. The governor in a PT
pump is controlled by your throttle pedal, any movement in linkage will cause the governor to raise
rpm. And some are used as a high idle. I was trying to remember the name-But it's Teleflex that makes
them now.

Last edited:

petepilot

That's a good picture petepilot- Looks like it would turn short with that wheelbase and not much hood out front!

I wish I had more pictures of some of the first construction work I did, and equipment I had and ran.
that pic is about 54 yrs old that was the first tractor i bought . lost a carton of pictures during a move thats one of the few old pics. i could find . as far as it turning short it had a 26 " 4 spoke steering wheel and man power to turn it :D

Last edited:

56wrench

Seeing that picture of the old air lift brought back memories. About 45 years ago, a couple of brothers i used to know ran an automotive repair business out of an old rented service garage. The lift had a slow leak underground so they used a 6x6 piece of timber on end beside the column to hold it up. They had a shorter piece of timber to hold it for brake jobs. I used it on a few occasions and would usually forget to use the timber until it started to settle. You wouldn't get away with that at a business nowadays though:D

Old Doug

There were a lot of those lifts around you had to know when to let off the leaver before it hit the top of its lift. One place i worked had a 2 cylinder one. They had a tall set of stands very handy for changing a axle but its 2 leavers were on the wall 10 feet away so you had to twist your neck around and look over your shoulder to see if it was comeing up even. It was kind of a deal for a 16 year old kid that didnt use it very often.

Truck Shop

R (2).jpg Center post lifts.
In 1975 the Olds, Caddy & GMC dealer in Ellensburg was having a new model year show. So they thought
they would hoist a new Eldorado up. The post lift had a issue and suddenly dropped about a foot after reaching
it's max. The Elvis Eldo slipped off and was hanging about 1" off the floor.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used two post air lifts at the ESL IL Garage, raised Line trucks on them and worked from under with the overloaded, Heavy as all get out trucks on the lifts. The worst were the C800 Fords with Eaton Diffs(Offset Pot) and digger derrick assemblies on a corner, everything had a defined 'Lean' but had been working and continued to while I was there.