• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Trying to remember the actress name it reminds me of, So bad with names!!

199595646_4c9dbfa383_b.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Uncles both told me Navajo was a good company to work for in the 50's and 60's. Was going downhill however. One went to Yellow Freight Systems rising to running their safety and accident investigation operations, the other working for McLean Freight, and leaving to drive for Strickland Freight running closer to home between St. Louis and Chicago predominantly.

Original Navajo Freight Lines tractors and trailers were a light turquoise color.

crane operator

Mack for sale, and the interior picture has me slightly confused.

Super shifter? Or does this guy have some deformed hand/ finger arrangement that only this grip enables him to change gears? Is there some super trucker lingo for this set up? And how exactly are you supposed to get ahold of this?

super shifter 1.jpg

JPV

I don't know about the grip but I love those old range shift valves hose clamped to the shifter. I have always wanted to get one to put in my pickup just to play with for some reason.

1693TA

Occupation
They are still available new both OEM from Eaton, and aftermarket. I think OEM is about $30.00 and aftermarket is about 1/2 that.

Truck Shop

Or does this guy have some deformed hand/ finger arrangement that only this grip enables him to change gears? Is there some super trucker lingo for this

It's new age trucker crap, what is deformed is between his ears. No different than the black op's pickups.
Black with black wheels, black taillights dark windows. A fad. There was nothing left for people to collect,
old cars, pickups and motorcycles became old hat. So they invaded the class eight market. 80% have never
driven a truck for a living and really have no idea how cantankerous the old trucks really were. But that
doesn't matter it's all about looking coooooooooool.

1693TA

Occupation
Most of the twin stick trucks I've been around have just a single ball on the end of the shifter. Four of my Mack tractors are that way. They don't have any air selectors as there is nothing pneumatic to their operation.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old Triplex and Duplex Macks I worked had ball knobs but the old 5&4 or 4x4 set ups generally had knob on one straight handle the other(brownie).
Used to convert well worn out 13spd two and three position knobs that would not hold a repair kit to electrical switches for guys to use for aux lights in pickup trucks!! Been long ago I last did that.

1693TA

Occupation
I remember that two stick setup well also. Was very common but I always liked the balls on both shifters in my truck. I eventually purchased an overdrive rear section and bolted it to the overdrive front section and have a double over tri-plex installed. With the 3.70 ratio on tall rubber, (10.00XR22) it will approach, or go through triple digits, but it's a hair raising experience with a lot of wind. I'm going to change to another tri-plex I have as reverse gear is much too tall to back slowly.

1693TA

Occupation
Progression of time, and technology. Now automatic transmissions are replacing manuals.

Building a better mousetrap as they say.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Old Triplex and Duplex Macks I worked had ball knobs but the old 5&4 or 4x4 set ups generally had knob on one straight handle the other(brownie).
Used to convert well worn out 13spd two and three position knobs that would not hold a repair kit to electrical switches for guys to use for aux lights in pickup trucks!! Been long ago I last did that.

I had mine plumbed to inflate my
air bags. Worked well for about the first 10 years...
IMGP0312.jpg