1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Memories for us old truckers

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Truck Shop, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

Have you guys heard of all the troubles last year mixing DEF with Jet A?

Also, do you all still BP branded stations around there?

DMiller likes this.
  2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Luckily in my tanker days we didn't have DEF. But in my driver contract it stipulated that delivery tank mixes would be the driver's responsibility. That would make you wake up screaming in the middle of your sleep at times.
    I was pretty proud of the fact at the time Conoco USA hired me at just barely 20 years old and trusted me with a 6 axle tank rig. No CDL then just the state Combination license. But the terminal manager/chief driver saw me on the road every day hauling grain and offered up the position for 4 months of my grain down time so their drivers could use up their vacation time.

DMiller and DB2 like this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    DEF cannot be mixed with fuel, separate tank and delivery point, has to be cleaned after each haul according to locals still hauling bulk fuels, most yards have a Specific truck, has One compartment only used for DEF. BP still quite prevalent here, have two local stations each side of river and five just at twenty miles away.

Kind of miss AMOCO or Standard Stations.

DB2 and RZucker like this.
  4. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    A good 85.jpg 86.jpg Friend sent me these a hr ago the happy new owner just bought it in Saskatoon and was heading home to Davidson Sask. 1972 GMC Long Hood 318, with a 5x4

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    9500 series, always liked these except to work on. Twin Stacks likely 8V71.

6. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

DMiller, Labparamour and RZucker like this.
  7. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    The long hood had room for a 12V71, but you still had part of the engine and air compressor in the cab. I've also seen 855 Cummins in them.
    Mine had the short hood with an 8V71, the dog house mad things a bit on the cramped side for your feet. A local had a long hood with a 400 BC in it and that one made me drool. 5" pipes and twin chrome everything.

8. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I still have a 1971 Chevy C90 short hood with a 6-71 and a 9513. Not running at the moment, but working good 2 yrs ago when the transmission locked up. It was one of my favorite trucks to drive for short hauls, so I'm definitely gonna fix it soon as I have extra time.:rolleyes:

9. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Representative photo of the one I had, minus the roof top air con. Mine had the same paint job as the wrecker below. I also had changed over to aluminum 22.5 Budds on the front and 22.5 Daytons on the drives. a year after I bought it I added 6' the frame for a better ride. 20181109_145256.jpg 20181109_145226.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Circle burner. 2eb31ba2-6d5d-4e04-b9ed-5436.jpg

DB2, RZucker, Labparamour and 2 others like this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Rather 'Tight' wheelbase!!

DB2, Labparamour and RZucker like this.
  12. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Probably the same wheelbase as my short hood. Just room enough for 2 8d batteries between the front drive and back of cab. That's what I like best about it, though. Not many other tandem trucks that will do a comfortable u-turn in a country road T-intersection.

Labparamour, RZucker and DMiller like this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    It has been said that GM never built any MH series long hoods with a 12V71, But Monfort of Colorado had some with 12V71's, another reason the left lane was called the Monfort Lane back then.

14. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

at least the tilt hood trucks were easier to work on in my opinion than those GM's with the gull-wing hood. my brother had a short nose and the gull-wing hood. 6V53, MT653 and a 4 speed auxiliary. we used to remove the front fenders when we did anything engine related-especially tune-ups. it had an oddball governor if I remember correctly- a limiting high-speed/ variable low-speed with a booster spring on top. real pita to get set right. when I talked to the Detroit dealer about 20 years ago, regarding that governor, they said 'good luck'- the guys that worked on those back in '75 are either retired or dead:eek:

DMiller, Labparamour and RZucker like this.
  15. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce Senior Member

Wasn't that Mercer out of Spokane that had a bunch of trucks painted those colors too? I can see the trucks in my minds eye... just can't read the door sign! :)

DMiller and RZucker like this.
  16. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce Senior Member

On our walkabout through Bernieville over the weekend we ran across this Dodge that judging by the stark white inner fender and clean appearance generally seems to have been restored recently and it's friend the 60. Both sporting the popular plastic bucket stack covers.
    Dodge and Deere.jpg

56wrench, DMiller, colson04 and 3 others like this.
  17. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    IIRC, the Mercer trucks were plain yellow with brown trim. The GMC paint scheme was Metal flake gold with metal flake brown. I'm pretty sure that was an optional color from the factory, I've seen the same paint job on two Brigadiers too.
    My truck came from Kansas City, MO. apparently from a freight company that did a lot of city deliveries. It even had the fancy fake tooled leather door panels. :)

DMiller, Mother Deuce and Truck Shop like this.
  18. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I like the Dodge, the snow gives the cab the illusion of real headroom. :rolleyes: I've driven a couple of gassers with that cab and headroom for me was not good.

19. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    If they don't cremate my carcass I suppose a box isn't going to have much head room either. And I like to sleep on my side. Far Side.

20. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    Just wondering when did the last White Freightliner truck roll off the line??
    [​IMG]

Labparamour, RZucker and DMiller like this.