• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I have seen the big block Ford guys do all kinds of remote cooling options trying to shovel one into an A or some other small core area ride
Knew a guy with a '47 Ford cabover built as a rod with a 460 mounted behind the cab, he had a front radiator with electric fans and a nice flat floor that could hold 3 skinny guys on the bench seat. Don't know if anybody ever got into an original with a doghouse but they weren't comfy for two regular sized people.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At least the 3208 is better than the DVs or the V549s these were originally equipped with. 2050 Fleetstar. Schreiter Ready Mix ran a fleet of 2070s with 6L71s, and as with you RZ, would have been better to lift the cab to pull the heads on them, honing 4&5 for sleeves was a NIGHTMARE!! Air Compressor left MUCH to be desired when they shot craps.. Schuman Paving had a 2070 with the 549, could NOT keep mufflers on it, driver would coast long duration downhill then mash on the gas and blow both of them off the pipes.

$2400 for a shot in the dark on a Allison that has set 10 years, HMMMMM, NO!! Oh and Iron front Gull Wing ass mashers, again, NO!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Confession time. A bit over 50 years ago when working after school at the local Co-op service station we were often tasked with hand washing the local feed departments Ford 2 ton single axle feed delivery trucks. More than once when going down the hill returning them to the feed store the key got "bumped" to the off position and in a "panic" the gas pedal got pumped many times trying to restart it. When it was realized the key was off and turned back on, it normally resulted in a earplug worthy bang, and a ripped wide open muffler. The non mechanically minded manager of the feed store commented once that he was not going to buy any more Fords because they were hard on mufflers.

Mother Deuce

Knew a guy with a '47 Ford cabover built as a rod with a 460 mounted behind the cab, he had a front radiator with electric fans and a nice flat floor that could hold 3 skinny guys on the bench seat. Don't know if anybody ever got into an original with a doghouse but they weren't comfy for two regular sized people.
I knew Gene really well. “Ugly” was a art piece. By putting the engine behind the cab it eliminated the dog house completely and opened the cab up considerably. By using a donor one ton frame and running gear and with the engine in the rear the real plus was settling the cab on the frame the running board ends up about 8 inches off the ground. The other thing that Gene did to make that truck really look right was tightening up the fender radius. He was really sharp! He went to the top of the fender opening and cut down to the bottom on both sides leaving the top connected then pulled both sides of the radius together about 2 inches at the bottom and the made long tapered wedges to fill the void created. Weld them in old school and when he was done it looked like Ford built it 76 Ford one ton tires and wheels. Gene was a really good guy and a consummate craftsman. I wonder if George is still alive? I have several images of Ugly around here before he put the blower on. I will see if I can find one.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
20180708_125414.jpg I don't have any pics of Uugly, but this is some of Gene's sectioning work. I think this pic was from about 30 years ago.
Built on an 86 GM dually chassis ended up with a 6BT Cummins and an Allison 545 trans. I had some minor involvement. Frame work and mating the engine trans combo. 20180708_125329.jpg

Last edited:

Mother Deuce

View attachment 212284 I don't have any pics of Uugly, but this is some of Gene's sectioning work. I think this pic was from about 30 years ago.
Built on an 86 GM dually chassis ended up with a 6BT Cummins and an Allison 545 trans. I had some minor involvement. Frame work and mating the engine trans combo. View attachment 212283
I never saw that truck. I thought about a Chev once. It is just so hard to get the profile down. Nice, brings back good memories of Miner's and Vintiques at the fairgrounds! (Deep Sigh) Summer Nights!

old-iron-habit

Occupation

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Help, I need intervention. I'm going to be out in the area in the next couple weeks. I am an addict. Don't you know better than to dangle that stuff in front of me. :eek::eek:

Depending on where you end up, you should look a few of us up if you have time. There is this Mack project in Walla Walla that's worthy of a view...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
in
Depending on where you end up, you should look a few of us up if you have time. There is this Mack project in Walla Walla that's worthy of a view...

I would love to do that if at possible. I wanted to stop in Walla Walla last trip but was on a tight schedule. PM me your phone number and when is a good time to call when we are in the area. I am planning on visiting a good friend old Cat collector that farms about 20 miles west of Ascotin so we will be in the neighborhood.

Truck Shop

Well here's one for you street rodders. When Paul Harper of Cle Elum owned this 56 Buick Century a friend of mine that was a body man and who I worked with at the time in Ellensburg
did the body and paint work for Paul Harper. His Name is Paul Chrismer the same guy I had do the body and paint work on my 53 high hood CJ3B. To cover some hours of labor on my
jeep work I helped Chrismer with hand blocking and guide coating the body of this 56 Buick. When done it took first place for finish at Oakland. There is quite a story behind this car.
It was also featured at the 1962 Worlds Fair in Seattle, and graced the cover of Cart Craft Magazine several times. Read the link below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the fun thing for me is I drove this lead sled twice!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19515/lot/128/

image.jpg

Mother Deuce

Well here's one for you street rodders. When Paul Harper of Cle Elum owned this 56 Buick Century a friend of mine that was a body man and who I worked with at the time in Ellensburg
did the body and paint work for Paul Harper. His Name is Paul Chrismer the same guy I had do the body and paint work on my 53 high hood CJ3B. To cover some hours of labor on my
jeep work I helped Chrismer with hand blocking and guide coating the body of this 56 Buick. When done it took first place for finish at Oakland. There is quite a story behind this car.
It was also featured at the 1962 Worlds Fair in Seattle, and graced the cover of Cart Craft Magazine several times. Read the link below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the fun thing for me is I drove this lead sled twice!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19515/lot/128/

View attachment 212292
Can't imagine Paul sold it... it was red the last time I saw it. Think that was the run to Roslyn in 19...uh urrr hmmm

Mother Deuce

Yah, I had Paul Harper punch the louvers in the hood of my high hood. Rapid Roy-that stock car boy by Jim Croce.View attachment 212293
Before Paul moved to the tranquility of the timber he was the guy to see for louvers. Half of everybody I knew had Paul punch a hood or deck lid or side sheets. He did some pretty cool custom work.