• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I almost had a 56 big back window short box, a one owner. There was one that ran around Ellensburg that had a 427 side oiler with a top loader 4 speed. It was pretty quick.
Knew a guy in Pasco that had a '56 big window with a 392 Hemi and a pushbutton auto. It was built that way in the late 60's.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Amazing that old machines are bringing such good money and STILL require major overhaul. Says a LOT of the imperfections in the New crap.
I believe there are at least two reasons the 966C's the company sold brought such high prices. First would be they were simple mechanical machines with about the only electrical devices being the starter and charging system. And second I was told the 966C were small enough to be shipped relatively cheap compared to say a 988B size machine.

Mother Deuce

Poor old B has seen better days as has that suspected D6 behind it, maybe an old American off in the woods?
That is the tractor for one of those Viet Nam era military Clark 290 M scrapers the can isn't with it. The crane is a Link Belt of the truck persuasion
Yep a good old 87A! I have a service manual if you want to get it running again!

If it was a 966 it would bring good money on an Iron Planet auction. I've seen 966's the company I worked for had that looked much worse go for a few thousand.
The engine is missing in action. Completely removed.

Poor old B has seen better days as has that suspected D6 behind it, maybe an old American off in the woods?

Old Doug

Oh no, not no way not no how, no boat motors in that thar Dodge. Cummins only, it's like putting a chevy in a ford and the like.:eek:
If you fill that way i will not tell you about the 2 ford trucks that i repower with chevys or the IH truck that i have that i put a 350 in or the Dodge 10 wheel that had its 413 replaced with a 427. I would think hard before replaceing a 392 with a 350 i thought the smallblock would be lost in the IH but the 392 is shorter. I like hotrods but i like originals better but theres a reason why so many fords have chevys in them they fit better.

Truck Shop

Actually I couldn't give a damn what engine is used as long as it fits and not shoe horned in place. But them chevy's have the distributor in the back, I don't know how many fire walls
I've seen caved in to accept a Zora Duntoff special.