• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at old backhoes

Birdseye

Jshopes81

I really appreciate everyone thats taken the time to give input. You guys are easily as good as the other few forums im also on. Hdforums is a bit rough on newbies but you guys have been as good as the rv folks in my opinion.

I passed on the mf, i didnt even see the crack in the boom from pictures. Im trying to go look at a 401c over by wheeling with an asking price of 7, but may not make it there as my wifes grandmother is on life support as of this morning.
Any thoughts on a 401c? Ive had great luck with my other deere product, but its mostly yanmar. Its been a great grass cutter. Im not seeing a ton of info on the 401c hoe, seems the 410 was way more popular if theyre similar capability groups.

oarwhat

I really appreciate everyone thats taken the time to give input. You guys are easily as good as the other few forums im also on. Hdforums is a bit rough on newbies but you guys have been as good as the rv folks in my opinion.

I passed on the mf, i didnt even see the crack in the boom from pictures. Im trying to go look at a 401c over by wheeling with an asking price of 7, but may not make it there as my wifes grandmother is on life support as of this morning.
Any thoughts on a 401c? Ive had great luck with my other deere product, but its mostly yanmar. Its been a great grass cutter. Im not seeing a ton of info on the 401c hoe, seems the 410 was way more popular if theyre similar capability groups.

Stay away from that 401. We had one nothing but trouble. It's an ag tractor they put a backhoe on. Very poor design.

Jshopes81

Stay away from that 401. We had one nothing but trouble. It's an ag tractor they put a backhoe on. Very poor design.
Arent just about all of them from this era? Thats my understanding from what ive read and looked at.

I also just got offered a 73 ish white thats been sitting. Guy said he rebuilt the shuttle when he got it and is too old to fool with it. Said hed pretty much give it to me. He did say something about a rotary injection pump. Ill check it out here this afternoon.

Birdseye

Jshopes81

Ya ive talked to the guy in scranton. Hes dropped the price some, but in pictures its extremely rough. If hes at 3750 obo i might reach out again. I know it had some wild repairs done on the part of the boom nearest the bucket. Is that the dipper?

Tinkerer

If it had "wild repairs to the end of the dipper, I cannot imagine what the pins and bushings are like in the rest of the backhoe. If the bushings are wore out and the bores they sit are wallowed out you are looking at a huge money pit.
Run away from that one to.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
That sweet looking machine is clear across the state...transport bill is probably quite pricey.....DON'T be in a rush to throw your cash at something...especially if you are gonna try to dump the machine after you're done, as you stated in your first post...although once you finally get your new yella tool in your possession you're never gonna want to give it up..take your time, it'll happen...

Welder Dave

Who's ever selling the MF on Craiglist doesn't have a clue what they have. It is definitely not an MF60. MF60 came later and had closed center hyd's. and was more boxy looking with a noticeably different self leveling arrangement. It's an early to mid 70's MF50A like the one below. I didn't see the plate on the boom but there are a lot of parts that would be hard or impossible to find.

Massey Ferguson 50A TLB - YouTube

1984 MASSEY-FERGUSON MF60 For Sale In Bakersfield, California | MachineryTrader.com

chroniekon

I doubt it is a 410D. My 310 has a tag on the engine that say 310D and that's how the guy I bought it from had it listed. I think the D means Diesel in this case. If it were a D it would say on the side of the tractor, They were available with a turbo and 4wd, 1991-1997. The straight 410 is probable mid 70's. My 310 has a 3 cylinder engine and I'm guessing this 410 is a 4 cylinder, which would be nice, cause the 3 banger is a bit underpowered. I paid 7500 for mine 8 years ago. So 5000 seems pretty good for this if it all checks out.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

The letters mean updated/newer models in most cases. 1985 looks like it should be 410B but the cab says it's older than 1985 to me. Would need a serial number to confirm the year. JD's use a more complicated closed center center hyd. system that is much more expensive to repair when the time comes. Seems like half the battle is finding someone who actually knows what they have and is honest about it.

Last edited:

Jshopes81

Oh man, its enough to drive a person nuts. I was looking at pickups a few years back, and it was unbelieveable what people dont know about their vehicles. I needed a dually to pull my camper and wanted 4.10 gearing. Half of the people i talked to dont even know if theyre deleted let alone their gear ratio. Id have to tell people to take a picture of their vin tag or sticker in the glove box and id figure it out.
I know for sure if i ask a person which transmission is in their 580ck and they dont even know how many gears it has or trans it has it hasnt been fully serviced as advertised. The guy with the 580b in mogodore couldnt figure out why his machine didnt have steering. Not only was the fluid not on the dipstick, i couldnt even see it in the reservoir. Im supposed to trust someones description when they dont even know what theyre looking at? Ugh its frustrating. Harleys are a whole bigger can of worms.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
John Deere Backhoes are complicated. I believe that may be a 410. My 410 was built 1974. I'd bet this is plenty older than 1985.
As two wheel drive goes, 410 is OK. It is the smoothest operating rear hoe built at the time. As a loader it isn't the best. Hydraulic plumbing is very advanced for mid seventies. I might still have mine if it hadn't needed a few small parts for the six section backhoe valve that was NLA from John Deere.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
John Deere Backhoes are complicated. I believe that may be a 410. My 410 was built 1974. I'd bet this is plenty older than 1985.
As two wheel drive goes, 410 is OK. It is the smoothest operating rear hoe built at the time. As a loader it isn't the best. Hydraulic plumbing is very advanced for mid seventies. I might still have mine if it hadn't needed a few small parts for the six section backhoe valve that was NLA from John Deere.
I attended the "SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS & BAD MISTAKES" I now know a great deal about those hydraulics. No more expensive than other makes, but it takes a bit to understand the hydraulics.