• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at old backhoes

edgephoto

I do not care if the seat is ratty or not. Is it a good machine that is not neglected and has a major defect. I can replace or recover a seat.

I am not sure where you guys are finding machines in perfect condition for $10,000 or less. I was looking for months when I bought mine. I wanted a full size machine and 4WD. Seems $10,000 bought me a 45+ yr old machine in mediocre condition.

I opted for a machine that was 30 years old for $9,000. Like machines were selling for $22,000-$25,000 locally. Mine runs, starts without assistance and drove around. The boom would not stay up. I had one cylinder replaced, tube was dented so needed a piton and new cylinder. That was $1400, I replaced one messed up rod for $1100. With new glass and tires I will have about $16-18,000 in my machine. I will have all new hoses, rebuilt cylinder, glass, tires and rebuilt brakes. Buy what you can afford and what your skills can handle.

Mike Knap

People don't care about your time or interests. I bought my machine off Ebay from 650 miles away. Asked the seller several questions and got nothing but lies for answers. I was told it had no leaks, 4WD worked, and brakes were good. He said it was a good old machine that was ready to work. It arrived spewing oil out one of the stabilizers, no 4WD, and no brakes. It wouldn't run for more than 5 minutes. Fuel tank was full of rust and lines were clogged. Thank goodness I was an auto tech for years so the transition to diesel mechanic wasn't too bad. He told me it needed an AC compressor. He failed to mention it was TOTALLY MISSING. He also said it only had 3000 hours on it. The tach face was broken and the hour meter had been pried to read 3xxx hours. Not too obvious. I would have rather seen 5000 hours and not had the tach damaged. I can't find a replacement anywhere.

He hasn't had any eBay activity in over a year but if you ever run across and ad by TractorKing54 be very careful. He didn't have many negs when I bought but several came about after. Some stories were way worse than mine so I guess I was lucky the engine wasn't blown up.

I still came out okay but I would have passed on buying had he been honest. I did get it way below what it would have been worth if all the answers were honest so I should have known it wasn't the deal being presented. I paid $12,500 for the machine and $1,250 for delivery. I haven't kept track but I suppose I have invested another $5,000 in parts. It still needs the brakes repaired but I have learned to get by without them and it gives me a good excuse to tell people it can't leave my property. The brakes are a bigger repair than I care to take on. A dealer north of me quoted $900 to reseal the pistons and another grand if if needed discs. In hindsight I should have had them pick it up but I was gun shy on people being truthful. Pretty sure I could never get my money back out of it but it still runs and I can still use it.
Should have gone to see it yourself, Buyer beware

Welder Dave

Always need to inspect in person or have someone you trust inspect it for you.
There was a guy here who used to work for a contractor and decided to be a used equipment dealer. Only he tried to make it seem like all the machines were from his company and were his favorites and that's why they weren't sold when he retired. Everything was listed as premium condition. There was a big flaw in his story though. If they're in such premium condition and were his personal machines where are the owners manuals and more importantly the service records?? Oh, all that got thrown out when I closed up shop and sold all the other machines. Yeah, right. He wasn't around very long. Some were decent machines but when it's painfully obvious he's lying about the machines being his, how can you trust anything else he tells you. He was terrible at trying to be a used car salesman. He should have just been honest and he wouldn't have come across as a shyster.

eKretz

Just as a frame of reference for any current readers, I picked up my 1994 Ford 555D for $8500, it's a 4x4 and Extra-Vator (Extend-A-Hoe). Had a need for tires and a little shuttle electrical issue, but running like a champ now. Looked for two years before I jumped on this one. Extremely happy with it. Bushings and pins nice and tight, lots of grease. Well taken care of. Does need a steering cylinder rod end soon also. Definitely pays to be able to do your own maontenance/repair work.