• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
is that a t-mar kobelco roadbulider

Why don't you introduce yourself, or mention who you are before asking everyone about everything they post on this site.

No one knows who the heck you are...so don't expect everyone to share..

KW850&T800H

COPPA
dose anyone have pics of a thunderbrid roadbulder is it a hyundai's in disgise and has anyone seen a eroupeion roadbilder in B.C. like a liebherre o&k and have there ever been case roadbuliders or just link belt's

Do some research please, it's not just Link Belt. We have Cat, Deere/Hitachi, Komatsu, Samsung, Hyundai, Doosan, Daewoo, Volvo, and sadl there were even Kobelcos. There used to be Bantams. Thunderbird road builders were basically a Kobelco painted Thunderbird.

The best was always Madill.

Also, they don't use backspars in Japan because they don't even yard in Japan.
Research is a valuable tool.

Last edited:

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)

there, hope that worked. If it did there will be a picture of a huge old Koehring loader-forwwarder that used to be sitting at the Abitibi mill in Ft. Frances On. Did anyone out in BC or NW USA ever use them?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I believe hiluxman was referring to the Sumitomo machines as in Case and Link-Belt.

Case was a late comer to the forestry party in Washington and Oregon. For some reason even though Case and Link-Belt were the same machine, except for the engines in some, they never really got any acceptance in the industry. I know of several Case logging shovels that were built by either Pierce or Young but I've never seen a Case road builder. I've gone to both dealers for parts that the other dealer didn't have.

Also early Thunderbird shovels were actually converted Hyundai machines and not a Kobelco that I have ever seen in Washington State. Kobelco machines started out as MDI Yutani which apparently split off into Kobelco and Mitsubishi. The two big names in building the Kobelco loggers were Jewell and Feenaughty Equipment out of Portland Oregon. The Kobelco machines have been built into just about any configuration you can imagine for logging.

trakloader

They call the Kobelcos "Ko-Joke-Hoes" up here, really awful machines. Their plant must have been infested with gremlins. There were a few O&K's used in BC at one time, but I haven't seen one since I was a kid. There were a few P&H's, too. There were quite a few Hein-Werner's around, too. Some of them were mounted on Scott-Douglas tank carriers. Horrible machines, I don't think anyone misses them. Actually, not many people feel nostalgic about them old hydraulic backhoes and shovel fronts. It seems that they were more trouble than they were worth, since they were really only meant for ditching and loading gravel trucks. Trying to use them as roadbulders was an endless story of boom cracks, blown hoses, fires, Rotec failures, etc. Probably the toughest of the early roadbuilders were the Hitachi UH-14, 14-2, 171, and 172. They held up really well.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Ever use any Gradalls up that way? They say you can't make any money with a Gradall, but you can save a fortune.

skadill

Hitachi UH14 Roadbuider

The machine finished the roads and the roads finished the machine,she still stands though.Taken middle of last year.Last time I'd seen this machine and the owner/operator doing logging road repairs with it in 1995,I had a visit with Don while he ate his lunch that day.

Attachments

• DSCN2394.jpg
    DSCN2394.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 2,988
  • DSCN2395.jpg
    DSCN2395.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 3,067
Last edited:

trakloader

there, hope that worked. If it did there will be a picture of a huge old Koehring loader-forwwarder that used to be sitting at the Abitibi mill in Ft. Frances On. Did anyone out in BC or NW USA ever use them?

Wow, what a monstrosity! I haven't heard of any used up here, and if they were, they would have likely sunk into the muskeg. Finning built a giant faller buncher, for use in BC. A friend of mine was telling me about it, they tried it out near Golden, and it just kept getting stuck. I'd guess the Koering would suffer a similar fate.

hiluxman

That Koehring looks like a pain in the butt. I think it's articulated so it bends like a skider and there hard to drive just my opinion

skadill

Mitsubishi MS300 roadbuilder

An old road crew veteran,may be a 280,couldnt see any numbers.Taken a couple weeks ago

Attachments

• DSCN0771.jpg
    DSCN0771.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 2,844
  • DSCN0772.jpg
    DSCN0772.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 2,802
  • DSCN0766.jpg
    DSCN0766.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 2,894
  • DSCN0767.jpg
    DSCN0767.jpg