• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

trakloader

Not sure how they'll mount the grapple, but a heel wouldn't be necessary. The machine sits on the barge deck and stacks the bundles in front of it, so something like a big butt & top grapple might be in order. The machine stays on the barge and unloads it when it gets to where it's going. The barge used to be a self dumper, but I guess you wouldn't want to tip it with the loader on the deck! You can see pics of it in the old iron thread.

skadill

3800B Madill,taken last week

Attachments

• DSCN0534.jpg
    DSCN0534.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 4,953
  • DSCN0533.jpg
    DSCN0533.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 4,892
  • DSCN0532.jpg
    DSCN0532.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 4,928

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Hey Todd, thanks for the YouTube video and what's the difference between the Madill 3800B and the 3800C? Model year?

The differences between the 3800B and 3800C were drastic.

Power: The B used the old Cummins 6CT8.3- hard on fuel, noisy, unreliable and weak on horsepower at 235 HP.
The 3800C used the Detroit 60 Series 11 Litre which was an awesome engine- lasted forever in these shovels, quiet, efficient, and a HUGE jump to 325 HP standard.

Flow: The C went to the new Rexroth pump and valves and was a huge improvment over the B. The B only produced 145 GPM and the C jumped it up to 204 GPM.

Swing: B used smaller twin L&S and produced 85,000 ft. lbs of swing torque, whereas the 3800C used larger twins and produced 108,000 ft. lbs- giant jump.

Reach: B offered 41' Boom, C offered 44' boom.

Cab: Big differences in the cab design and visibility was greatly improved in the C.

The machines were completely different with the exception of the D7 size undercarriage, even drive final and motor specs were different.

Anyone who shovel logs realizes that there's no substitute for Horsepower, Flow, and Swing Torque. The C was awesome and will be a hot seller again in 2011.

A few Madill shovel pics- havent loaded too many yet. There will be hundreds eventually:

http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_loaders_bunchers

Last edited:

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Thank you so much, great information. There was a huge improvement then. I'm jere to learn,and I just learnt a lot :D

The differences between the 3800B and 3800C were drastic.

Power: The B used the old Cummins 6CT8.3- hard on fuel, noisy, unreliable and weak on horsepower at 235 HP.
The 3800C used the Detroit 60 Series 11 Litre which was an awesome engine- lasted forever in these shovels, quiet, efficient, and a HUGE jump to 325 HP standard.

Flow: The C went to the new Rexroth pump and valves and was a huge improvment over the B. The B only produced 145 GPM and the C jumped it up to 204 GPM.

Swing: B used smaller twin L&S and produced 85,000 ft. lbs of swing torque, whereas the 3800C used larger twins and produced 108,000 ft. lbs- giant jump.

Reach: B offered 41' Boom, C offered 44' boom.

Cab: Big differences in the cab design and visibility was greatly improved in the C.

The machines were completely different with the exception of the D7 size undercarriage, even drive final and motor specs were different.

Anyone who shovel logs realizes that there's no substitute for Horsepower, Flow, and Swing Torque. The C was awesome and will be a hot seller again in 2011.

A few Madill shovel pics- havent loaded too many yet. There will be hundreds eventually:

http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_loaders_bunchers

KW850&T800H

COPPA
I was at the local dealer the other day and snapped these pics:

Attachments

• DSCN6050.JPG
    DSCN6050.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 4,729
  • DSCN6028.JPG
    DSCN6028.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 4,728
  • DSCN6038.JPG
    DSCN6038.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 4,761
  • DSCN6015.JPG
    DSCN6015.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 4,704
  • DSCN6021.JPG
    DSCN6021.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 4,715

skadill

question?

CL,great 3800 info,thanks.Was the little Madill 800 ever inteneded or designed to become a roabuilder,bucket and thumb machine,They appear to have come so close to dig ready,what was up with this model? even the boom was bannana shape

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
CL,great 3800 info,thanks.Was the little Madill 800 ever inteneded or designed to become a roabuilder,bucket and thumb machine,They appear to have come so close to dig ready,what was up with this model? even the boom was bannana shape

That sound like such an easy question........Answer: Yes, then no, then yes, then bankruptcy. How's that?

The 2800, 2850, and 3800 models were so poular with the loggers because they were built like hell and the booms/frames couldn't be destroyed. You could buy a new 3800 and just keep re-lifeing it every 10 to 12 thousand hours with a reman engine, pump, and rebuilt cylinders. No cracking or metal fatigue issues like you get with the import machines.
There are lots and lots of Madill 30800's running today with well over 30,000 hours on the frames. Many lived as shovels for the 1st 12,000 hrs and then got a Waratah due to the un-godly flow that is unmatched on any other machine that size. a 3800C Madill (300 ton class machine) produces more flow than the imported 45 ton machines (Cat 345, Hitachi ZX450, Komatsu PC400, etc) so as far as flow nothing can touch it.

Madill was building (by hand mind you - no assembly line or robots) aroud 155 machines a year at the 2001/2002 peak, and loggers were starting to buy smaller and smaller loaders. The 200/250 class was becoming the market mainstay so Madill decided they needed to get in on that action. The 800 (a 200 size machine) and the 1800 (250 sized) were designed and built to offer in that market. Trouble is they were hand-built and crazy expensive compared to say a 200 Hitachi or 320 Cat. Hell for stout, but too expensive.

Madill had continued with the Ross/Thunderbird tradition of buying Hyundai 290 platforms to carry the stroke-type delimbers (and they worked really well by the way)> I'm no Hyundai fan, but in that job its the delimber doing all the work- not the carrier, so the Hyundai worked great as a platform -- Cummins power, Kawasaki hydraulics, etc. All that machine is is the engine/pump/valve life-support system for the stroker. There's no frame-stress or travel-power requirement so the cheap little Hyundai's fit that bill well.

As the 800 and 1800 were being built, and effort to cut the price down to an affordable level for the guys used to paying Cat and Deere/Hitachi prices. Since the 290 Hyundai's were coming over anyway, the 800 and 1800 were designed to accept the Hyundai 'Robex 290' boom foot/pin assemble so any 800 or 1800 could accept one of these 290 excavator fronts if desired. Madill built a logging boom for each machine with a main-pin size the same as the 290 Hyundai excavator boom. MIND YOU- these were Madill's 200 and 250 size machines so that boom was much larger than the machine really should have been able to handle. All the 800 or 1800 Madills you see with the backhoe boom are wering that 290 Hyundai front on them. It's good as a Waratah/LogMax harvester carrier and will last in that application for a long long time.

Trouble with the 800 / 1800 machines is as usual they had way to much horsepower and swing torque and if you put a grapple/quick-change on that Hyundai front you'll tear the boom in half swinging logs uphill. The uphill swing power of the Madill will crack/buckle the Hyundai 290 front.

Just for kicks, ONE Madill 1800 Roadbuilder was built and equipped with the 290 boom, 42" digging bucket, and pro-link thumb. The test unit was given to Ted LeRoy Trucking with instructions: BE CAREFUL and go slow and lets see what happens here. Short stick, nothing fancy here and it only lasted a month. Cracked, broke, and on and on so Madill gave up on that idea after that. They weren't trying to get in the backhoe business anyway so no big deal. You could go buy a Cat 320 or 325 Forest Machine with backhoe front for a ton less money- so our advice was always 'go buy a Cat 325' when the backhoe question came up.

I was involved with Madill in those years and watched the 800/1800 desingned and then finally built. We had a bunch of the first few units working on the North Oregon Coast as test units- we gave them to the usual suspects to try: Fallon, Olstedt, Hopkes, Lundberg, etc in the Astoria/Tillamook area. Some were sold and naturally I have several thousand pictures of testing 800/1800 machines in Oregon.....I plan on posting some of those in my 'Madill Loader' picture gallery over the next few months here: http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_loaders_bunchers if you care to look.

The same was going on in Washington State and Russ S. was up there working with his group doing the same things. In Canada too, but I didnt really get in on that action as i was pretty busy on the road with my own group of customers. Several 1800's were bought during all this- and they still live there in the North Oregon Coast area with names you guys would recognize.......It was fun for sure, great times and some great people.

THEN the big BC Timber industry shakeup happened and Madill crashed along with many of its biggest customers. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Madill 1800 at F.J. Lundberg, Seaside Oregon

Here are a couple of pics of maybe the first 1800 Logger sold in Oregon. Working inside the City Limits at Seaside, Oregon in 2004 for Lundberg on a private timber sale (farmer patch we call them).

Lundberg had always been a big Madill supporter and owned lots of Thunderbird and Madill pieces.

Attachments

• 1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 1 HEF small.jpg
    1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 1 HEF small.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 5,775
  • 1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 2 HEF small.jpg
    1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 2 HEF small.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 5,432
  • 1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 3 HEF SMALL.jpg
    1 a Madill 1800 FJ Lundberg 3 HEF SMALL.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 5,167

skadill

Thanks CL,so much for that insight,thats a real testament to Madill that their machine will tear another manufacturers attachment apart,under use.

Big Creek

Hi CL, Lundbergs 1800 went down the road 2 weeks ago. I have not seen it yet but I was told they had a new Cat built for them. Scott still has the 3800 but they are on a big thinning show and the big guy is parked.

dblott

Occupation
Old school trained(here's how you start it, here's
Hi CL, Lundbergs 1800 went down the road 2 weeks ago. I have not seen it yet but I was told they had a new Cat built for them. Scott still has the 3800 but they are on a big thinning show and the big guy is parked.

Which machine did they order? We ordered my 325D Roadbuilder in Feb. Due to arrive in Eugene end of July early August. Hope it's as good as my current (2001) still is with over 11700 hours.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker

Madill hired a new US Operations manager at Kalama around 2003-- a fellow that had managed a NAPA store in BC and didn't know jack-all about logging or loggers. The customers hated him and were starting to look at machines other than Madill- even longtime Madill customers told us they would not deal with him and were going to buy a Cat if he didnt fugure things out. Cat was always considered the closest competitor to the Madill and I hear this new Cat 330D Logger is impressive.

He and I did not see eye-to-eye at all, and that Lundberg 1800 was the last new Madill I delivered in late 2004. Scott had agreed to another new 3800C right then and that delivered a few weeks after I left Madill and went on to other things (I made the long considered move to Alaska- and I'm still loving it).

How did that 1800 work out for them? It's 2011 now, and Lunberg's usually put 2,000 hours a year on the machines, so at that 7-year stretch the 1800 would have 14,000 hours on it. That's alot of hours for Lundberg's- Scott likes to roll them out between 8,000 and 10,000 in my experiences with him.

I dont hate that NAPA fellow and I'm sure he's fine wherever he is- the fit just wasn't a good one. He did have some real talents, just didn't get the loggers at all. Last I heard he was working for one of the big auction houses or something.

Market conditions ended Madill but he sure wasn't helping in the U.S. there at the end.....after all, customer retention is a good thing in any business, right?

Last edited:

hoechucker

cl if you had to chjoose between a 1242 thunderbird or a 3800c madill(strictly for shoveling)which would you prefer and why?

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
cl if you had to chjoose between a 1242 thunderbird or a 3800c madill(strictly for shoveling)which would you prefer and why?

Boy there's a tough question. Here's the short answer:

If I am purely an operator, I choose the 1242 due to more hydraulic pumps = pure unbridled multifunction horsepower.

If I am an owner, buying the machine for an operator, I choose the 3800C due to fuel economy and reliability. Still a hot-rod compared to the Cat 330 or Hitachi 370.

That 1242 is an awesome machine, and everything that makes it hot also makes it a mechanical liability.

DeBriae at Cathlamet reluctantly replaced his 1242's with 3800C's and the operators complained a little about mulifunctionality, but at the end of the day the 3800C's were less expensive to run.

I'll do a side-by-side comparison when I have time and post it.

Both of them are race cars compared to the boring, underpowered import stuff.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I should also point out that 2 custom race-car machines ended up getting built for DeBriae and Madill called them 3850C's. They were 3800C frames with a bunch of top-secret specs I never saw. Lets just say one caught fire and was completely destroyed. I dont know where the other one is.

They had special engine/hydraulic/swing/travel mods and I think Madill went broke in the testing phases and it didn't go anywhere.

They were awesome I heard but everybody was afraid the power was too much and would destroy booms, finals, swing drives, etc. I know they were hot hot hot!

There was a bunch of Madill 4800B stuff crammed into that 3800C frame.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Contract logger, you'd be the guy to ask-do you know of any Madill equipment around Valemount BC? Or of any yarders of any make? I'd like to know so I can get pictures for all of us to see :) thanks!