• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Keeps sticks from getting under the hoses and removing them against their will

Mike L

Occupation
On today’s episode we’ll discuss why engine oil is good and if you have a severe leak sometimes it’s best to park it and wait for parts rather than run it. This is a Perkins in an asv skid steer. About half the oil pan bolts fell out and created a massive leak. I pulled the engine this morning to reseal it and found lots of sparklies in the oil.DDFC1E75-ED42-4F1E-A724-3A867FE6D32B.jpeg

Mike L

Occupation
Being an ASV with a Perkins who in the hell would pay rebuild it?:D

my largest customer. I wanted to put a reman in it. Customer only wanted to put a piston in it. The compromise ended up being an aftermarket engine kit. The mentality is that if we fix it and get another year out of it then we’re another year ahead. It’s not how I like to do things and I’m not proud to put my name on it but they never question my bills and if it only lasts 8 months they won’t be looking for a free rebuild out of me.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would have let them know up front and PERSONAL that to patch it will be noted on the bill where I would not warranty ANY of it should they choose to go this route, IN WRITING, done it in the past and would repeat that in a heartbeat today.

Mike L

Occupation
I told the owner and I’ll put it on the invoice. This isn’t the first time I’ve done something like this for them. I will say that this customer takes some gambles that I wouldn’t, but they never complain if they gamble and lose.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One in a thousand, have had to argue receipts of the past even with said notes on them with what I considered Good Customers.

Mike L

Occupation
They are a very good customer and are also my largest customer. I have had weeks where I work for them 10+ hours a day and then go try to do a small job for another customer afterwards. It’s been joked that I should just change the patch on my uniform to their logo.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sounds as my days with Mississippi Lime Quarries, until that fateful day were bought out and management directions changed.

Mike L

Occupation
D0E2AFCA-FF71-4C01-96BA-26526E2E2E95.jpeg Well I flew down to Virginia Friday and bought this. Bought it from the same dealer that I bought my last truck from. Being used it came with no warranty other than the salesman’s word that he’d make sure it made it back to Maine. Made it to Harrisburg PA when I lost 6th gear. Found a freightliner shop 12 miles from me. Made it within a mile when I lost everything but 5th. Had to ride the snot out of the clutch and roll a stop sign but I got it there. From there I rented a car and drove home. Shop will assess the damage on Monday and let me know how much it’s gonna cost. Called the salesman and he said he’d get with the owner on Monday and see what they would do. I hope they’ve got an ounce of integrity and cover the cost of the transmission. Either way it should be done this week and then I’m headed back the 600 miles to get it. good times I tell ya!

Mike L

Occupation
It’s very clean for a 2008. Definitely not perfect or new but I’ve outgrown my Ford and this should be a decent step up.

colson04

Used equipment woes. I bought my backhoe in 2014, old, used, private seller that I knew. I had run it, and I knew they had just finished a trench job with it with no issues. Within 40 operating hours it crapped the main hydraulic pump. Crap happens, just sucks when it happens right after you purchase it.

Hope the salesmans word is worth something for you MikeL. It sure looks like a nice truck.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Mike that's a nice look truck. Sucks about the trans, how much did the shop guestimate the repair was going to be?

Mike L

Occupation
Mike that's a nice look truck. Sucks about the trans, how much did the shop guestimate the repair was going to be?

just got an email quote for $2490 to “remove and inspect transmission” . Umm NO. I called the shop manager and asked why. “It takes 8 hours to remove and inspect this transmission”. To which I replied “ I spent a chunk of my career as a truck mechanic. Any tech worth his paycheck should have it on the ground in 2 hours and I’m pretty sure she’s roached. How much for a reman” . “Oh, Uh, let me recheck that quote for you and I’ll let you know”

Mike L

Occupation
Sure looks nice Mike, Cat or Cummins? And did you get your rear axle locker? I don't see 4x4 under that front axle...:)
8.3 Cummins. Eaton 6 speed and yes, I got the locking rear end. No 4x4. 10k crane, hydraulic compressor, air ride, and it has a waste oil tank with a pump to fill and evacuate it. It’s an old nortrax truck. The seller picks these up and puts on a coat of shine and resells them. 180k miles which is half of what I’ve got on my Ford. My business is small but growing so hopefully after this hurdle things wil smooth out. Baby steps...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I usually ball park figure any labor charge at $1,000 a day. So they are saying it will take two and half days just to find out what is wrong? On the other side of that he is saying 8 hours of work is worth $2,500? So they are charging $312.50 per hour?
They must figure you as a fleet truck driver who doesn't know any better. I love it when a knowledgable person can throw foam on their gas fire.