• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
The quote was $323 for initial diagnosis, $1615 for removal and inspection, $161.50 for performance test/verification test? Wtf?, $200 for misc parts and lube, $53.30 for EPA fee, $137.97 for tax. Grand total of $2490.77. Don’t know why we need a performance test, and oil fee for an inspection. The only thing I agreed to was the $323 to pull it in, drain oil, and remove pto and take a peek inside. Supposed to be $161/hr for labor. The service manager I talked to yesterday seemed very reasonable compared to the yahoo who’s trying to pull this over on me. If need be I could go back and put on a clinic on how to remove a 6 speed Eaton from a kenworth. 1. Remove driveline. 2. Unbolt hydraulic pump and swing out of the way. 3. Unbolt shifter tower and unplug sensors. 4. Unhook linkage. 5. Remove bell housing bolts. 6.Slide transmission out.

Mike L

Occupation
I would have traveled that way. Left ringgold around 4 pm and headed up rt 29 towards Lynchburg. The dealer called me with a quote of $9600 to replace the transmission with a reman and put a clutch in. It looks like we found a broker to get it moved home for $1600 and the place I bought it is going to pay for the clutch and transmission and I will install it. At least that way it’s in my possession and I’m not at the mercy of the stealership.

Mike L

Occupation
I’m glad I’m not in Pennsylvania today. Stealership sent me a final invoice for $791.55. $726.75 to tow truck in shop, drain oil, and get transmission info. $19.99 EPA fee, and $44.81 for tax. Doesn’t tell me amount of hours, hourly rate, nothing. Tech’s notes say that they had trouble towing in due to tow strap repeatedly breaking. Apparently I’m getting charged for them not having a decent tow strap. The only thing I approved was 2 hours of diagnostic time.

crane operator

If I read the story right, you already had it at the dealership? So the $726 is to pull it into the building, from out in their yard?

Mike L

Occupation
That’s right. I called and asked why so much. I was told it was because they had a lot of trouble towing it into the shop. 4.5 hrs at @161.50 to tow truck into shop, drain oil, note that oil had metal filings in it, (duh) and get transmission model number. They must prey on broken down truckers with no options. If I treated my customers this way I’d be out of business.

Mike L

Occupation
I’ve got a trucker buddy with a low bed trailer who is going to do some measuring but it looks like we’re going to leave next Friday night and go pick it up. The broker deal has also gone to pot.

crane operator

The broker deal has also gone to pot.

No surprise there. The salesman can say what he wants, the paperwork on the bill of sale is what matters, and it probably doesn't say anything about making a trip to maine. Sorry for your issues, I hate being broke down away from home.

I don't know how the guys that run 10-15 trucks over the road can handle the breakdowns out in the middle of nowhere. It would drive me up a wall. We're usually pretty close to home, so we can drag our issues home with us.

At least you have someone lined up to haul it home, and you'll know its fixed right. Going to try to fix what you've got, or just slide in a reman?

Mike L

Occupation
I’m going to slide in a reman and a new clutch. I never learned how to rebuild truck transmissions and I’d like to get it rolling so it can make me some money. Ya know I don’t believe the seller knew about the problem. I think that fate just dealt me a s@%$ sandwich and I’ve got to choke it down and move forward. The broker is making every known excuse before he’ll put the job out. Today I heard that the cab antenna may be too tall. I told him to let the first overpass adjust the height. It sure will be good to get it home and in my possession. Maybe I can go back to sleeping good at night and not thinking about everything else that could go wrong. My wife gave me some melatonin the last couple nights. Good night Irene!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Damn fine looking truck Mike. Once you get it home and back on the road I think that rig is going to make you a buck or 2. If it weren't for the mileage charge between Maine and Alabama I'd put you on call for repairs.:)

Mike L

Occupation
Petepilot, The transmission I’ve got that’s failed is a FSO8406A

Mike L

Occupation
Haha! You almost had me until I saw the test drive for a year! You don’t need a good used F-750 do you?