• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410 - Hydraulic is dead

Joe haven't talked in a while hope your keyboard works. I talked to my nephew ,he said there were no noise nothing different the HYDs just died, I finally got it up out of hole up on level ground I ordered batteries for it. When I get the batteries I'm going to start it. When I started working on this machine I noticed I think it was the low pressure hose off that was connected to oil cooler, when I start this should there be oil coming out of that hose if the transmission pump is working?

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Jerry,

if you want to take the hose off the hydraulic fluid cooler to test if the fluid is being pushed out by the pump, i would believe thats a good way to check if the pump is working or not, but i would not recommend doing that if your not familiar with doing something like that already, because what ever you do please do not loosen a line connection and look for hydraulic fluid to come out as if the line has a leak to tell you there is pump pressure, because the pressure of the fluid inside the line comes out like a jet stream of hydraulic fluid that is so strong, look at it this way, the lines are rated at 4500psi and up, so it cuts like a knife when a hose springs a leak, enough to cut your skin open and even loose an eye so fast, often the shop manuals explain how dangerous a hyd hose leak can be when it cuts the skin open and fluid gets under the skin with how hard it is to get hyd. fluid out from the skin, not too many doctors know how to treat that injury and limbs get too infected….

so please don't be cracking lines loose to check for fluid, and don't poke around lines that don't look safe, even engine off there can be pressure in the line, so you can get very hurt, try to get someone who's done this work before to help you if your not comfortable doing this now that i've warned you…

so that was my safety lesson Jerry, I don't mean to scare you, but you did mention you never worked on the machines before so i felt it was important to remind you about safety issues.

so if you still feel up to taking this on problem then make sure there is enough hyd fluid in the system, if i'm not mistaken there are 3 places to check for hyd fluid.

check the fluid in the rear end, that dip stick should be under the seat, then the storage box on the side, and then the reverser dip stick thats mounted somewhere i think rear of the engine on the left side, i think?

if there is not enough fluid in the system remember how much you put in, anything that 'you do' and 'see' will be necessary to know to help with finding out whats wrong.

you said you got it out of the hole, how did you get it out? pulled it with another vehicle? and i guess you would have mentioned already if you saw fluid on the ground while the hoe sat there.

okay Jerry, let me know what you find if the hyd fluids were not low in all three places to check, and how the fluid smells and looks, are you familiar with that a bad reverser fluid would smell like? etc…

and if you safely check for the hyd pump works, pay attention to how powerful the flow was.

joe

Last edited:

OldandWorn

When I started working on this machine I noticed I think it was the low pressure hose off that was connected to oil cooler, when I start this should there be oil coming out of that hose if the transmission pump is working?

Yes, there should be lower pressure oil flowing to the oil cooler from that hose which feeds the main high pressure pump on the front of the machine. Does your machine look exactly like the original thread starter's pic? The hydraulic system has changed over the years so we need to know more about your machine. A year, serial number, model 410, 410c, etc...

If it's a straight 410 (I'm not familiar with the newer models) all of the hydraulic oil is contained in the rear section and the only dip stick is located right in front of the seat.

A word of caution before you run it for an extended amount of time. When they replaced the main pump there is no telling if they filled it with fluid or not so you don't want to ruin a new pump if it's running dry.

Since there hasn't been too much information exchanged yet, this would be a good opportunity to start your own thread as more people will read threads with a current date. It's your choice of course.

Last edited:
Hi joe thanks for responding it took me a while to get this machine out of hole the backhoe was in a 5ft hole used two 3ton comealongs very slow process once I got the bucket out of the hole I was able to move to the side place it on top ground. From there I handsome big trees I could put chains around an use my comealongs very slow but I got it.
I appreciate your concern for safety I will be very careful. I wish I could work on this every day but I live a distance away an every thing takes time. I got new batteries coming once I get them I will check all the fluids try to start this and see what I come up with
Jerry

Thanks for your interest the machine is a 310B john deere 1977 I don't have the model or serial numbers yet I will write them down next time I'm there. Is there any way to put some HYD fluid in the pump before I try to start it?
You mentioned starting my own thread I thought I did that ,how would you do that
Thanks Jerry

OldandWorn

310B and 1977 is good enough for identification and your machine should look just like the pic in the first post of this thread. The model 310 may have an open center hydraulic system which is different than the 410 but others on the forum experienced with the 310 can say for sure.

I have never had to add fluid to the pump but maybe the suction hose from the oil cooler or taking one of the large plugs off the top of the pump. It's just a caution I thought I should mention if the machine has been or will be run for an extended time during troubleshooting if no oil is being fed to it from the trans pump, which sounds quite possible.

Go to the tractor/loader/backhoes sub-forum and at the top of the page you will see a button that sez "+Post New Thread"

Last edited:

Delmer

Please post a new thread, you'll get more eyes and answers.

Apparently the 310, 310A and 310B had the similar radial piston pump as the other Deeres. The 310C went to a open center gear pump. I've stumbled over that one a few times...

In any case, a new thread with your year and model, "77 310B suddenly lost all hydraulics and movement while operating" will have a better chance of getting your answers.

Also, a JD technical manual will help explain the system. Money well spent if you feel up to working on this, but don't know the specifics of the closed center system and where the charge pressure comes from.

Hello Arnstein I read about your problems and glad you found the problem and got it fixed. I have the same problem no HYD machine won't move the engine is fine,the questions I have is did you remove the front loader, or did you raise it and do the job with it raised? If you raised the bucket how did you get up high enough to support it, that the problem I'm having. When you split this machine was it on level ground, I have to do this in the woods and the ground isn't very level, did you have any trouble putting it back together.