• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is this a good deal (Hino)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Laugh all you want you guys are 9 trillion into debt and climbing higher doesn't that worry you :eek:

Each one of you owe the US gov't 30,000 dollars. So make hay while the sunshines and kept your debt level low.

The US dollar is loosing value the CND dollar rising its good for guys like me we can buy cheap autoparts and trucks cheaper from the USA now. I can buy a brandnew F-450 Ford cheaper in the USA than I can from my local Ford dealer.

I'am a little more cautious when it comes to spending money and taking risks because its easy to loose everything. Once you get a bad credit rating it takes years to get it back. Its taken me 10 years before the bank would even lend me money anything I have done has been with the money I made. I work for the freaking gov't and the bank hedges about lending me money I got a good credit rating. The most they would lend to me is 30 grand thats my truck I have now with a nice payment of 700 a month

Anyhow if Bins wants to sink himself into debt with brandnew equipment go right ahead. The rolloff companies that started here started and still run used trucks and used bins. The one company that started in the area had a old Mack MR and couple bins now they have 4 tandem rolloff trucks with 30 bins. Its taken the company 10 years to grow to the size it is. The money to be made is in scrap metal recycling. When the prices are up to 190 dollars a ton for under 48" scrap that is pretty good.

Its pretty hard to compete when a person with a P/U truck will clean out a persons basement for 20 dollars per hour. Why pay a person like me that charges 100 dollars per hour. At 20 dollars per hour that doesn't even pay for the fuel.

Dip your toe into the pool not jump in full body find a used truck or get in the trash business with a straight truck and do it yourself. Find out if your going to like it or not. If your going to offer the mini bin service to elderly customers that want their yard cleaned up your gonna have to do the work loading the bin.

If your area is having a housing boom now don't think its going to continue its not. Its just a sucker hole it is happening here the contractors are sinking themselves into debt. These guys are going to be a hurting this winter when the work falls off to nothing. A 10-12 grand a month equipment payment doesn't stop. My area went from 500,000 being the most expensive top of the line house ever built to 2 million is the most expensive house built. That is just in 4 years.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The US dollar is loosing value the CND dollar rising its good for guys like me we can buy cheap autoparts and trucks cheaper from the USA now. I can buy a brandnew F-450 Ford cheaper in the USA than I can from my local Ford dealer.
You might be able to buy a truck cheap here but you never will, so why do you keep boring us with your sob stories? Your song is getting old and I'm not the only one tired of hearing it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
bins, you don't need a hauling license??

Good question. In my neck of the woods you do not need a hauling license for C&D material.

This got me thinking on something that has not been discussed when talking about a roll-off business - a good service contract.
To hit the high points:

Items that cannot be placed into the can - batteries, flourescent bulbs, hazardous materials, etc.
Check your local landfill and see what is accepted
Not responsible for damage when truck leaves the curb line - driveways, utilities, landscaping, etc
Overloading the can - customer is responsible for unloading the can
Loading the can properly - not above the "fill line" sticker on the can
"Dry Runs" - IE do you charge your customers when you come to pick the can and it is overloaded or loaded improperly
Of course payment terms - with homeowners I suggest COD or credit card before the can is dropped. Be wary of checks.

There is more to add - that is all I can think of at the moment.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
id personally look at ih or pete or kw for dealer network alone

Another good point - the truck is only as good as the dealer support. In my neck of the woods the IH dealer is, let's say :cussing :Banghead :pointhead - and this opinion is from first hand experience from buying a few trucks from them, all new. The first was a '99 4700 and it was a great truck. Second was an '03 4300, which was a good truck but had several electrical problems. Third was a 7600 tandem dump which has been a total POS. As we speak it is sitting in their yard waiting for an ECM to be replaced. Of course it is out of warranty and I am going to spend $2k or more to get it repaired, just so I can sell it.:Banghead I have had the A/C "repaired" 4 or 5 times (for my own sanity I lost count) and this truck is an '05 model I bought new. Now I am not saying IH is a bad truck, but when I send my truck into this dealer it's there for at least 2 weeks and I cannot tolerate that. The bank does not care if my truck is sitting at the shop and not making money - they just want their payment. (BTW - these trucks were used in my building/excavating business not the can business.)

The KW dealer is also the Hino dealer and they are pretty darn good. The Hino has went to the shop one time in over a year for a sensor. The truck was towed in on a Friday and we picked it up the next day. To me that is pretty good service - which is very important, regardless of truck brand.

I have not had any experience with our Pete dealer, but I do like the looks of the 330.

If you feel comfortable with the Hino dealership, I would totally recommend one, they are very good trucks. I personally think they have the best medium duty truck on the road for the money. Regardless of what I think about truck brands - your dealership and their service will play a big role in your business. Starting out with one truck means that if it goes down you cannot service your customers. How fast you can get that truck back on the road means alot in this business.

bins

This dealer offers a maintence package. For $150 a month it includes all your regular schedule maintence you only pay for wear and tear items ex. belts, tires, and wipers. Is it worth it? Also if you drop your truck off then they say that they will have it back on the road in less then 4 hours.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Hino makes pretty well the best medium duty when your looking for a truck in the 18,000 to the size Bins is looking for. Once you get into the 33,000 to 35,000 then the PACCAR trucks are better. A KW T-300 or a Pete 335 is a waste is its licensed lower than 35,000lbs.

Another truck to look at would be the Freightliner M2 ya its a Freightliner but if you buy new its okay. A Sterling 7500 would be another decent truck.

I would definatly want a truck with air even if your going with a 25,000lb gvw truck there is nothing like having spring brakes. The newer trucks with juice brakes are okay but the shaft emergency brake is still a little weak.

SunServicesLLC

Bins i was in your position 4 years ago. I was 24 and was looking to get into the waste thing. I looked at new trucks since i didn't know much about big trucks and didn't want to buy a piece of crap. On a whim i drove to NC to look at used hook truck that was auto. I found out once i got there it was a cdl truck and told the guy i had to pass as i didn't have a cdl license. The guy made me a deal i couldn't pass up. (I had to pay someone to fly down and drive the truck back for me.)
The following week i got my cdl. I bought six new cans plus i had three the guy sold me with the truck, to start out. Within a week all 9 containers were out on jobs. So about a 3 weeks later i bought 6 more, which i used for about 3 months. Then the builders starting asking why i didn't do the bigger cans because they loved the service they were getting from me on the smaller ones. And it all started from there....
Back to my point, that used truck four years later and about 150k miles is still used everyday and has rarely let me down. I guess what i am saying is don't be afraid of used trucks, you just have to be patient to find the good ones. BTW that 1st truck i had is 2000 freight fl80 auto 250CAT w/ 68k miles and three cans was only $35000

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The following week i got my cdl. I bought six new cans plus i had three the guy sold me with the truck, to start out. Within a week all 9 containers were out on jobs. So about a 3 weeks later i bought 6 more, which i used for about 3 months. Then the builders starting asking why i didn't do the bigger cans because they loved the service they were getting from me on the smaller ones. And it all started from there....

Yep - that's pretty much our story as well. Starting with a single axle and within a year I had my CDL and now we have 2 tandems and our first single axle. Our customers using the smaller cans needed bigger cans and they really liked our service. Like SunServices said "It all started from there...."

Back to my point, that used truck four years later and about 150k miles is still used everyday and has rarely let me down. I guess what i am saying is don't be afraid of used trucks, you just have to be patient to find the good ones. BTW that 1st truck i had is 2000 freight fl80 auto 250CAT w/ 68k miles and three cans was only $35000
That was a good deal and if I could have found a truck like that, our first one would have been used as well. Of course Murphy's Law states you usually don't find those kind of trucks until right after you take delivery of your new truck.:Banghead

bins

ok I have found a truck in my area that seems to be a good deal.

2007 f 750 33 gvw. air brakes, air seat, aluminum wheels, 24k swaploder, 6 speed auto 3500 alllison, 250 hp cat engine. for $5k more then the hino. what should I do? I ask b.c it seems like cdl trucks are a pain with dot

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Bins -

I would NOT go with the Ford. Ford medium duty trucks are probably the worst med. duty trucks out there IMO. We had an '06 F650 with a 14K hook on it - 2 turbos (cummins), blown coolant line, and rusted fuel tanks from the factory. Ford warrantied the rusted fuel tanks - it was some sort of factory recall they admitted - after we pitched a huge fit. Cummins warrantied the rest, after several trips between the Cummins shop and the Ford shop, each one pointing fingers at the other. Now we bought this truck used, but with only 5k miles on it.

I have a rented '07 Ford F650 water truck with 10K miles in my dirt company. Clutch went out - now this could be due to poor drivers skills since it is a rental.:rolleyes: But I am still using it for my argument against Ford.

The problem I have with Ford and GM medium duty trucks is the fact they use a pickup truck cab on a med. duty chassis. 7-8 years of service life and the cabs just don't hold up. It seems like they are hodge-podging a truck together to have something to bring to the market. The Ford med. duty frames and running gear are made by International at their plant in Mexico but Ford puts their cab, engine and electronics on them.

Now on the other hand the Hino we bought new - 1 time in shop for a sensor - truck has 50k miles and is over a year old. What I like about Hino is one dealer/service shop - Hino truck and Hino engine. The truck was towed to the Hino/KW dealer and we had the truck back the next day - Hino paid the towing and warrantied the truck. Hino also gives you 3 years of roadside service regardless of milage and a 24 month comprehensive warranty coverage on the truck. Usually the better the warranty given, the less chance of having to use it.:D

There is nothing more aggravating than taking your truck to the Ford/KW/International dealer only for them to say it is a Cat/Cummins/Detroit problem. Take it to the Engine shop and they turn around and say it is Ford/KW/International's problem. I have been through this so many times with my International/Cat dump truck and it is very frustrating because you are getting the run-around, your truck is not making any money but you are still making that monthly payment.:mad:

bins

The good thing is that this ford dealer is certifed for Cat engines. This dealer only sales big trucks and their service is open til midnight monday-friday and 8-4 on saturday.

How much more of a pain is it to have a 33,000 gvw over a 25999 gvw truck. Also in order to get to the cheap landfill I have to cross a State Scale but I will not have to cross one to dump concerte or dirt.

Dirtdog

I have a 2005 Hino and I would not buy another. The parts are expensive and the shop I deal with has to air freight almost everything in. I could rant about this local dealer, which is one of the largest on the west coast. But I just won't ever buy from them or another Japanese rig again. :usa I also own 3 Isuzu's. The motors are good on the Hino and Isuzu's. It's just the cost of ownership that kills me...:Banghead

minibin

Occupation
Owner minibins.com
Bins

I registed today so I could try to help you out, if I can. This site helped me so much when I was going through the early stages of researching which equipment to buy. I obsessed about it trying to find the right combination of equipment to guarantee my sucsess and still made the wrong choice. but I made one and did something and it works .I have only been renting bins fo 9 months and I would say I am just starting to figure it out. I purchased a used international 4700 (Dt466) with a new ampliroll hooklift and went into containers between 9 & 20 yards. I love my hooklift and am happy with the 9-20 yard containers but I would do it different now knowing what liitle I have figured out. I am going to sell my current truck and go smaller, I am going to buy a new dodge 5500 with a 19,500 and i am going to make use of the GCW of 26,000. I find the 15 yard containers the most popular, but as you know all markets are different. I am the retail garbage hauler, I do what the big haulers won't and service the crap out of my customers! If I can be of help let me know!
PS. I believe there is always work for those who work hard and maintain a good attitude.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF minibin! :drinkup

Electra_Glide

How much more of a pain is it to have a 33,000 gvw over a 25999 gvw truck. Also in order to get to the cheap landfill I have to cross a State Scale but I will not have to cross one to dump concerte or dirt.
The only difference between the two is that you will need a CDL to drive the 33k truck. The cost of registration and insurance will also be higher due to the increased weight.

The 26k truck is still considered a commercial vehicle and will need DOT numbers. Once you have the DOT numbers, the truck needs to be equipped with a fire extinguisher and safety triangles (not a big deal). Your drivers will need to carry DOT medical cards, and be enrolled in a drug testing program. I believe you will also be subjected to DOT audits, which means you'll need to have all your paperwork in order as far as maintenance, safety, and drug testing.

Regardless of which truck you have, you would be required to cross the scales, and have all your stuff in order if you're asked to "pull around back".

Joe

Dirtdog

I have a Intl 4700 with a 26k gvw. No cdl required until 26001gvw, in Oregon. It has air brakes and a DT466. This is what I will be converting my fleet to.You can buy these trucks used all day long for $20k. Mine is a 2001 had 70k miles on it and I paid $20k for it. The 19k gvw trucks will have disc brakes and are very expensive to replace compared to air. Air brakes are the only way to go. IMO. Good luck.