• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is this a good deal (Hino)

bins

2008 Hino 268a 25,950 GVW
Engine: Hino J08E-TV 220 hp @2500 rpm; 520 ft. lbs. Torque @ 1500 rpm
Donaldson Air Cleaner Single Cylinder air compressor
Front Axle: 10,000 lbs. meritor, oil lubricated
Rear Axle: 19,000 ;bs/ <erotpr RS19-145
Front Suspension: 12,000 leaf spring
Rear suspension: 19,000 lb leaf spring
Frame: 80,000 psi steel, C channel
Allison 2200 RDS 6 speed automatic transmission w/pto gear
A/C AM/FM/CD radio

Options Included
Three group 31 batteries
Trans mobile synthetic Fluid in Transmission and Rear Axle
Heated Mirrors
Air Horn
Rear Shock Absorbers
a/r seat

$47,679.00 Plus tax tile tags

Truck will be used for a roll off container business.

SunServicesLLC

if your putting a hook hoist on the truck your gonna want a 3 series allison trans in the truck. it lets you have use of the pto in R N or D which is much better than only N when hooking up to and setting down cans. Just my two cents
Brian

bins

I guess you would know with 10 trucks lol. It is the only transmission I can get on that truck.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I know your trying to stay under the gvw for your CDL rule in the states but I would seriously consider going with a truck with a 21,000lb rear axle. Go with the 308 and derate the gvw if you want to stick with a under CDL.

I drove rolloff truck and drive gravel trucks and operate 2 ton trucking business and had trucks in horrible places. In a 3-5 ton single axle truck used for vocational use where your in mud where you have conditions where the wheels slip and grab or your bogged down in soft ground that stresses driveline parts like you wouldn't beleive.

Hino is probably the best medium duty out there besides Paccar trucks.

The price you got on that truck you posted is a really good price that is what we would pay for a 185.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,day Bins. Those Hinos are sold by the dozen down ere (so it seems anyway) and that Diff is available with an electric activated cross axle Locker. I definetly wouldn't go heavier if you don't need it, such as if the truck will be predominatly road/residential work. The locker and easier foot will get the truck out of any minor skirmishess. Heavier diffs, if Hino would actually do one, add un-sprung weight and undesirable increased rotating mass, all adding to increased purchase costs and long term maintenance. A good option for Offroad but a shear waste otherwise. FordLT recommends heavier Diffs to everybody on this forum without any thought of the consequences.

It should be a good runner, Hino's have strong engines...I just can't gets meeself in them cabs:rolleyes: .

bins

Is it hard to buy your first truck when just starting a business?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Myself I wouldn't be buying a brandnew truck right off the bat I would probably try find a used truck like this one. Its selling for 47,000 dollars in Truck Paper .com. If I was buying a single axle used hooklift it would be the one its a 2003 4400 model truck with 33,000 miles 466 with automatic.

Attachments

• Hooklift (5).jpg
    Hooklift (5).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,338

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The thing is Ford LT-9000 you never will buy any of the things you recommend everyone else buy, you're too comfortable with your government job. You have very little credibility with me to be advising everyone else on how to run a business when you don't have the courage to try it yourself.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You gotta be a little carefull about going into business it might be a little easier in the USA but in Canada soon as you try go into business the gov't is knifing you in the back.

Right now Alberta is so desparate for workers a gravel truck driver starts at 100 grand a year :eek:

In my area now you will be hard pressed to find a job driving gravel truck if you own a gravel truck is probably parked. Excavation contractors are really slow. With the forestry strike logging is shut down thats hurting the economy big time. Local gov't is putting a stop on developing because its out growing the infrastructure that will cut down on new construction big time.

With Bins situation going out and buying a brandnew hooklift truck is really risky plus buying brandnew rolloff boxes. You figure a complete set up with 5 bins to start with will be 95,000 dollars with a goal of paying it off in 4 years should make your payment 2200 a month. You would have to haul allot of garbage to make that pay.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Wait, slow down, I'm still tuning my violin...
Somebody give me an "A"...

Nothin' like using OPM to spec a truck. (Other Peoples Money)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I know where he can find a 2006 F-750 with a hooklift for 88,000 I'am pretty sure it was traded in for a tandem conventional hoist truck.

Here is a single axle with a conventional hoist rated at 20,000lbs just more options over a hooklift

Attachments

• T-300 (2).jpg
    T-300 (2).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • t-300b (2).jpg
    t-300b (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,247

bins

Everyone has to find their niche market. I am going after 10 to 20cy boxes. I do not expect to make money right away with this business just like I didnt make money on my first business right away. I am happy as long as I can make some money but first I will be happy with the company being able to cover its own expenses and nothing coming out of my pocket. I spend countless hours searching the internet among many other things for my in depth research. If all goes well then the container business will be much more profitable then my lawn care company with fewer employees.

Here are some brief numbers that I have come up with.

A/P

Myself and 1 employee for office/back up driver
1 truck with hook lift $1500 a month
40 containers $2000 a month
Advertising $1000 a month
Employee $2,000 a month including taxes
Shop and land for containers including util. 1000
Insurance $400 a month
Misc $1500 a month
Fuel $1500 a month

A/R
40 containers flipped 3 times a month gross after dump fees
$21,000

Profit before taxes and my salary $10,000

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The truck payment sounds a little low what kind of financing are you getting ?

What kind of price estimates are you getting for 20 yard bins I would guess you would be paying 3 grand a bin brandnew.

The advertising is important but maybe cut that budget back a little bit and put it towards the equipment. Your name will be spread around fairly quickly once you get working for your local builders.

Are you going to hire a employee right away maybe a part time guy would be good during the first year.

The bin storage yard rental seems about right you may even find a good chunk of land you can buy.

Insurance is hard to say you guys pay more for insurance than we do here.

Truck maintenance will be a big one expect to be doing some tire repairs each month.

Your fuel will vary and depend on the truck you buy and the driver behind the wheel.

Now the last question how many other contractors in your area provide the mini bin service ?

bins

There are about 6 other companies that do this type of business. Only one of them is big. When I call the other small ones they can not get a bin out that day even though they advertise it. And then some don't even answer the phone.

$74,000 at 8% for 60 months 1500.45 and that is buying outright instead of lease which I may do.

Containers run $2200-$2500

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You got the right plan of buying the truck out right I never liked leasing either.

I'am really surprised you can get rolloff bins that cheap the price of steel is so high. For me it would be 2500 dollars in steel alone to build a all steel 10 yard bin.

It sounds like there is some demand for a mini bin service in your area is there any more demand for even smaller bins.

With my area there is no renovations happening its where I used to get my work from. People gutting the inside of their house and re-doing it thats not happening anymore or not now. I think that people bought a house for 500,000 dollars they can't afford to renovate it. A fixer upper house is 350,000 something you would spend another 150,000 to fix it up. When a old house that needed work was selling for 150,000 3 years ago people could afford to put another 150,000 into it.

Peoples house payments are 2500 a month for the next 25 years on a 300,000 dollar house so they got no extra money to spend on reno's etc. The high house prices have cut my jobs to nothing nobody wants to spend anymoney they are too cash strapped now.

Storage is another big thing now nobody throws anything out people are renting 20' shipping containers for storage. The one storage place can't get enough containers people clean their basement out instead of throwing it out they put it in storage :confused:

It costs them couple grand a year to store stuff they don't even use or haven't used in years. The junk I used to haul to the dump people are keeping.

I don't know if its the same in your area but also consider some kind of rolloff storage buildings. If you find a area where you can store your rolloff bins have a area for storage.

Enough rambling I hope you don't sink youself too far into debt. I still would be looking at a used truck or a good used truck you can put a new hoist on.

DBGoalie

Occupation
Network Admin
Bins, what sort of a truck are you looking at? Are you still going with a Hino? I have the same idea that you have, but starting here in SE PA, Montgomery and Chester County. I have been running the numbers, and I think I have the same idea you do; start with the 10 and 20 yard containers, don't compete with BFI and WM with the bigger containers; focus on the home improvement and homeowner market.

I'd be interested to share some information with you sometime concerning the numbers I have come up with to see if I am being realistic in my expectations.

Good luck, I'm interested to see how things turn out for you. I am targeting a start in the spring of 2008.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Everyone has to find their niche market. I am going after 10 to 20cy boxes. I do not expect to make money right away with this business just like I didnt make money on my first business right away. I am happy as long as I can make some money but first I will be happy with the company being able to cover its own expenses and nothing coming out of my pocket. I spend countless hours searching the internet among many other things for my in depth research.

Hey Bins -
You definetely have done your homework, have the right mind set and attitude to make this business work. The can business, from my little experience of actually owning one:rolleyes: (Orchard I am dusting off MY violin) , is not a business to expect to make a living out of, right out of the gate. The physical plant expenditures are somewhat high and there is a lag time for the A/R to be in the form of a check in your mailbox.:D I think you will be just fine in your business endevor and get ready to order more cans!:drinkup

BTW - I think you may need to add some more $$$ to the employee column. $500 per week at 4 weeks is $2k.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
:update :eek:

Bins and every one else on the forum that runs a small business -
Quit Now! There is no hope for you to ever better yourself and achieve your dreams of owning your own business. The economy is in the crapper and there is no way, no way, it is ever going to get better. I suggest that everyone go get a gov't job now while you still have a chance!.

Squelch all your thoughts and dreams of ever doing better for yourself - it's just not possible!. OMG - I am running towards the bunker now with the wife and dog before the real :shf

The rosin has left my bow.

Last edited:

nedly05

:update :eek:

Bins and every one else on the forum that runs a small business -
Quit Now! There is no hope for you to ever better yourself and achieve your dreams of owning your own business. The economy is in the crapper and there is no way, no way, it is ever going to get better. I suggest that everyone go get a gov't job now while you still have a chance!.

Squelch all your thoughts and dreams of ever doing better for yourself - it's just not possible!. OMG - I am running towards the bunker now with the wife and dog before the real :shf

The rosin has left my bow.

ROTFLMAO :lmao :falldownlaugh

WATCH YOUR BACK...THE GOVT IS IS ABOUT TO PUT A KNIFE IN IT........