• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to check codes and what would defuel a volvo 210 2008

bigrich954rr

Fuel pressure specs figure I’d post them since I got them

Attachments

• 46B669DD-44DE-4B3F-933F-81F2BC35326F.png
    46B669DD-44DE-4B3F-933F-81F2BC35326F.png
    797.3 KB · Views: 19

bigrich954rr

The Mechanic just left. he’s thinking it’s the fuel rail with a ring or notch in the seat from wear or the fuel pressure relief. He bringing both parts on Monday to see and be sure.

I’m trying to wait and have him come up when he has other work in the area to Split the drive time cost.

but if you turn off auto idle and right after start up you turn the Throttle two clicks up it flows enough fuel not to set it into limp mode.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
A failed injector will do that, a rail will not. If its bleeding enough fuel at idle, it's only gonna get worse with higher pressure. Did he separate the return flow to see who the offender was or is this a guess? Yes, safeties can etch the rail at the seat, but you had to have a significant off seat event to have that happen.

bigrich954rr

I wasn’t there when he worked on it I got there at the end. He Separated some of the components but said he was missing one of the fittings so he’s bringing that back to separate the rail and something else. And both parts. Monday I’m going to try and meet with him

I used it for hour or two yesterday evening and as long as the rpm were two clicks up. It work fine . I ran it at middle rpms for another half hour too.

bigrich954rr

The mech says it’s the left high pressure fuel pump it’s bypassing a lot of fuel (VOE20798675)

Says the parts about 900 though him he recommends replacing both.
but he said I saw you put a thumb on the excavator. It’s a easy job and mostly likely can find it for half. But if he wants next time his in the area he will install the pump if I want.

so looking For two high pressure fuel pumps cheaper than that and going to install them myself but said any questions I can give him a call.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I could be wrong, I don't think so. The high pressure pumps either produce flow to the rail or they don't. There is no bypass. The pressure results from the rail being static. No fluid escaping. Maybe there is a new test I'm unaware of. I can't imagine how to measure bypass. I would question how he condemned the pump.

BigWrench55

You can test each high pressure pump, but it takes a block off fitting to do it. And you will need tech tool. Also you shouldn't run it very long because it uses fuel to lubricate it. Also your engine is a deutz but I can't remember what model it is. You can purchase the pump through deutz if you know what model engine you have.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, Paul, the way we tested the high pressure pumps was to cap off the rail entirely except for safety valve and pressure transducer. Run one pump into a bucket and the other deadhead into the rail. Unplug the FCV which would send full volume to the high pressure pumps. You would see 22-25k on the rail pressure sensor in just a few seconds. Whatever the safety valve unloads at, then about 18-20k. Then we'd wait a few minutes. and swap to the other pump and perform the test on the other. To my knowledge, there is no weep hole or bypass port on the pumps.
If you have another method, would you share? I'm always down to learn another way to skin a cat.:)
If I'm not mistaken, the pumps are the same from D6D/D7D through D7J. The FCVs are the same as well. The critical part is the injectors. IIRC

BigWrench55

You would leave everything on the fuel system connected. There at the two high pressure pumps you have a y pipe connecting the two from the fcv. Where that pipe plumbs into the high pressure pump you will remove the banjo bolt and put the block off bolt and then run the engine. I check idle pressure and wide open pressure and then stop. That is all that you will need to run it with out fuel. Whichever one you are blocking off you are reading the pressure for the other. You can fabricate all of these fittings by buying extra banjo bolts. For the return line you can take the same banjo bolt and tac weld the holes to close them up. Polish the outside and drill out the inside. You can do the same for the high pressure pumps. You can also tap the banjo bolt for the high pressure pump with a standard 5/16 tap and thread in a bolt and cut off the head. These are actual special instructions from Volvo. You should see the service tip bulletin for this. Their welding looks like my kid attempting to weld. It's not the quality of work you would expect to see from Volvo.

BigWrench55

I believe that is the engine family. I haven't worked on Volvo much in my 20 plus years so I am still learning what are the makes of their components. Unlike most manufacturers Volvo rebadges all of their components. Its like they have a facility dedicated for that purpose. Some components are easy to recognize and others not so much. I have noticed that on some things they will change it ever so slightly to make it their own. I work for the dealer so I mainly pimp Volvo parts, but there is that occasional customer that doesn't want to pay those prices. So I tell them what and where to buy them so that I can get the job sold.

bigrich954rr

Thank you I believe I found them at a place called diesel injection zone for about 320 apiece (New Genuine BOSCH Fuel High Pressure Pump 0 414 693 007 Top German Quality)

We will see now we wait again which is ok the ground is to wet to work right now anyways.

thank you guys for all the help

BigWrench55

Nothing special to install them, but if you are having resistance and it is sitting up high. Just rotate the engine until you are on the back side of the cam lobe and it is a snap to install them.

bigrich954rr

Well I got the two pumps install wasn’t bad would have been easier if it wasn’t so hoT out. but it did not fix the Problem so kind of disappointed.

Took pretty much half a day to pull them out and install them and paying for them sucked But at least it was cheaper then buying the Volvo high marked up one.

The mechanics gonna be in the area Monday he’s going to swing by and check it out.

bigrich954rr

No not yet By any chance do you have part numbers for those things I’ll try to get them on order

bigrich954rr

If I unplugged one injector at a time from the rail would and capped off the line . I know the engine would run rough but would that keep rail pressure up to see if one is bad ?