• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to check codes and what would defuel a volvo 210 2008

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yes, but...
Typically if one injector is hurt, you will be replacing the remaining 5 over the next 3 months. This has been my experience over and over again. These new common rail fuel systems have ZERO tolerance for water. The filters are awfully efficient, but don't stop water. If one is hurt, odds are the others are right behind it. You gotta do what your budget permits. But troubleshooting the same problem every week gets old.

bigrich954rr

Well the mechanic came back put in a new pressure relief it did not solve the problem.he said it has to be the rail. He asked if I wanted him to put in the new rail and that fix the problem. Most expensive fuel pressure rail ever.

I mostly work with gas engines and a fuel pressure rail would never cause this kind of problem so it kind of shocked me

bigrich954rr

To replace the rail I was told 1700-1800 but I needed it up and running. Plus I wanted to know what was the issue. So I choked it down and said do it

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
A failed injector will do that, a rail will not. If its bleeding enough fuel at idle, it's only gonna get worse with higher pressure. Did he separate the return flow to see who the offender was or is this a guess? Yes, safeties can etch the rail at the seat, but you had to have a significant off seat event to have that happen.
Please, remember this post in regards to your rail purchase

bigrich954rr

The rail fixed the issue i don’t understand how. I was Very skeptical so he I told him to leave the old rail. But it’s working with just the new fuel rail. I’m looking and pricing the injectors now. It I order and install myself I can do it But just can’t swing it right now.

im open to places to buy the injectors from if anyone knows of a good deal to buy from.

He showed me the green line which I believe with the rail pressure and it was jagged kind a like a heartbeat but very consistent.

Then after the rail the green line on his computer was very consistent pretty much a straight line all the way across at idle

bigrich954rr

I totally agree with you doesn’t make sense. I’m going to keep the rail pressure screen up while running to watch pressures for a while.

I didn’t look at the injectors much but they looks easy to get to. .

bigrich954rr

Thank you guys very much.

lucky I had some dozing work to get done while the Volvo was down but everything with in 50 yards is done and and it’s time to load dump trucks. Dozing passed 50 yards was painfully slow.

bigrich954rr

Well here a update the low rail pressure is on again this time just at low idle. So I’m guessing it’s injectors as everything else has been replace pretty much .
Guess the rail had a small leak And the new one gave it a small boost in pressure just enough to keep the light off for little bit .

I’m a little late updating it But figured Hope this thread helps some one else one day

bigrich954rr

Just changed all injectors at lowest idle 800 rpms I’m running 5800psi no stick inputs And I’m still popping a code 1000 rpms 6200 No code with a stick input press will just to 8k

Mid rpms 9200 10k psi no stick inputs with input jumps to 12-14

max rpms fuel pressure no inputs 10200. With boom raising jumps to 16-17k.

no fuel is leaking anywhere.

after new injectors I think the fuel rate above the rail pressure number came down from 1.5 -1.7 to .5 g/h.

I don’t know if the G/H mean anything Just something I noticed but I haven’t been paying a lot of attention to it

bigrich954rr

Second update just to mess with me now at lowest idle 800rpms rail pressure is 5800.9-5862.7
And it’s not popping a code. Just keeps on running with .3-.4 g/h

well at least it doesn’t pop a code while using the auto idle while working and hoping it has enough psi and fuel to keep the Parts lubricated as I use it.

I really like my Volvo’s and the Volvo trucks but this Might start to convert me to a caterpillar guy.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
All common rail problems are a PITA to deal with. You can only gauge the low side pressure. For high side, you have to rely on the machines pressure transducer and measure return fuel against as known value. Too high a volume means you have a bleed or leak .That's where things get challenging. Splitting your return sources. On a volvo, it's tough with all those steel pipes. The fact that your GPH has dropped so dramatically 1.5 down to .5 means you've corrected one significant leak. Everything is calculated. It doesn't see return volume, only what's put in. If it sees the higher volume at idle, it thinks there's a leak. It can't differentiate between internal and external so for safety reasons, it gives 30 seconds of run time and shuts down. It doesn't want someone to get injected with a high pressure jet of fuel. I don't think any brand of HPCR injection is any better than anyone else's. They're all bastardized versions of bosch or nippondenso. You really can't jump brands and hope one will be better than the other. I will say the emissions game has gotten better with DEF injection. But at the core, the engines performance is what matters.

What were we talking about o_O
I'm glad to hear you're up and running. Hope this whole mess is behind you, just remember the importance of clean fuel filters and draining moisture from the tank once a week until you know how long you can stretch it out.

bigrich954rr

Bucket curl at idle 13ish 14 but engine would of stalled out if I kept going max rpms 12800k at full curl.

stick idle 9800 max 12500

boom 9500-9800 max12500

all thoughts are slowly Increasing input in the stick at relief holding it for about a second or two for the sensor to even out

bigrich954rr

In Rabbit moving forward at max travel rail pressure was 14 to 16K couldn’t really stay on it to let it full level out. cause I was worried about looking at Screen and then hitting stuff.

The Service tech was a nice guy but I don’t know if he didn’t feel like doing all the work to check pressures and flow the first three times.

But after they called me to settle the bill and with the help and knowledge of this site they finally sent him back out to give him one last chance even though I told the service writer it didn’t really matter I already have the injectors. And I don’t want to pay for another trip cause I’ve already replaced every part which I could have done with out calling you guys. He narrowed it down to one or two leaking injectors and which ones they were. Which is what I told them the first time to do. With your guys is help.

He explained how he found out what was leaking the first few times it made Sense but when I looked at the engine I didn’t see paint Scratched off any of the fuel fittings or flare lines. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Waiting to get a call from them and see what they try to charge me after all this.

Wishing I listened to you guys and just did all the work myself then I could’ve donated a few thousands of dollars To this site instead of most likely paying the dealership.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Don't look at it like that. These fuel systems have the potential to be very dangerous. Knowing what you know now, you're better prepared for the future. That fuel system isn't going anywhere for quite a while. Those troubleshooting steps will be applicable across the board from Cat, Cummins to Deere etc.