• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of the Columbia trailer company

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
somebody messed up big time, I was around co-workers who were doing that job, there was no source of ignition anywhere near the area and the tankers were grounded. when its very cold and a tank is being loaded and its not grounded, explosions do happen

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
One shop I worked at the painter had somehow got pinned between the chain link fence and his pick up just before I pulled in to the parking lot. He wasn't hurt and asked if I could back his truck up. I opened the door and almost gagged it stunk so bad of weed. Certainly explained how he somehow managed to get pinned against the fence by his own truck. Easily could have been a lot worse.
Sometimes being a lead hand or even a foreman is a lot worse than just being one of the guys on floor. You get all the flack for everything because you're supposed to get everyone else to to do things right and on time even when there's unrealistic demands from the boss. A lot of guy's don't think the extra bit of money is worth it.
I agree with that, I only took the lead hand role at Columbia -Remtec because the guy I respected didn't want it and to protect myself. I didn't want an asshole for a boss. I ended up baby sitting 25 young guys. coming out of welding school they could not weld Aluminun very well. I set up a training course and the good guys caught on quickly. took a bit longer to get them trained on how to build tanks.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Thanks I like to tell real stories, I've had a pretty intersting life, I was never bored LOL
My friend Maurice worked for this company in North Vancouver
s-l1600.jpg

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Have any of you guys heard of Bre-x the gold mining scam. Columbia-Remtec was building big logging trailers for a company in Indonesia. The GM went there to see what was required. While there he heard something about a gold find few knew about. When he came home he told me, the share price was about 2 bucks. I didn't do anything, the share price jumped past 200 bucks even though it was a scam anyone in early got rich. All I got was a story of what could have of been. :(

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Seems like gold mining is rife with scams. In the late nineties I got a call from a person at the US Securities and Exchange Commission asking me to testify at a trial in a gold scam. A company was building gold separation equipment under one company name and then they created a bunch of shell companies where the equipment was sold into on paper, the price going higher each time. The fake sales went through a couple of transactions and then was sold to a pigeon for big money. It was supposedly inventoried and appraised by an engineer and accountant before the sale. When the pigeon transferred the money, it was found that the equipment didn't exist and the people behind the companies would vanish. The SEC was going after the accountant.