• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of the Columbia trailer company

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
I can not seem to be able to find any history of this company on the internet other then a company with the Columbia name down south, is this the same company from Howe St in Vancouver?, I know they made a lot of off hwy trailers and on hwy log trailers but just can not find any history anywhere, Thanks

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I am not positive, so probably I am wrong, but the Columbia I know in Clackamas OR is a dump truck operation. They have been around since 1903, so perhaps they did do log trailers at one time. I have never seen one though.

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi. Columbia Trailer- BC was mainly a local company, they started down on Howe St, moved around Surrey -Langley. They were Columbia Remtec for awhile doing mostly tankers then it seemed they were just phased out. The last time I did any searching all I got was a American company that did tankers. I was after them for some info on the logging trailers for model building. Thanks Doug.

hd54

the logging trailer part of columbia trailers was bought out by peerlees page they have all the blue print casting john gregg at peerless may help you

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
I drove a few trucks with Columbia rigging and found it to be well built, the bunk cup and saucer set up never seemed to crack the welds and the trailer walking beams would go a long time before requiring maintenance.
Here is an old add from the "truck logger" magimg197.jpg

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I can not seem to be able to find any history of this company on the internet other then a company with the Columbia name down south, is this the same company from Howe St in Vancouver?, I know they made a lot of off hwy trailers and on hwy log trailers but just can not find any history anywhere, Thanks
I know the some of the history of Columbia trailers as I worked there from 1969 to 1981

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Hi. Columbia Trailer- BC was mainly a local company, they started down on Howe St, moved around Surrey -Langley. They were Columbia Remtec for awhile doing mostly tankers then it seemed they were just phased out. The last time I did any searching all I got was a American company that did tankers. I was after them for some info on the logging trailers for model building. Thanks Doug.
Columbia trailers went from Howe street to Brighton Ave Burnaby where it stayed until Columbia Remtec took over all their operations in Canada. the Van Raden family based out of Oregon had owned it. they still had some patents for logging equipment

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
In the 70's Columbia trailers would build any thing with wheels, I built mostly tanker trailers but also worked on logging trailers when it was slow in the Aluminum shop. I worked on chip boxes, ore carriers, one Cement bulker a refueler and odd ball stuff the owner wanted built

Attachments

• Scan_20210513 (12).jpg
    Scan_20210513 (12).jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Scan_20210513 (18).jpg
    Scan_20210513 (18).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Scan_20210513 (21).jpg
    Scan_20210513 (21).jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 60

Welder Dave

I think Columbia trailers were pretty popular in the oilfield. Going back I seem to recall quite a few Columbia floats being sold at RB auctions.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I think Columbia trailers were pretty popular in the oilfield. Going back I seem to recall quite a few Columbia floats being sold at RB auctions.
I remember the Columbia steel shop building flat deck trailers with rollers at the back for Alberta, what did floats look like?

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I know these posts are old but I have to reply, started at Columbia trailer in 1969 quit in 1981 right before the recession. my 11 years there set me up for the rest of my working career.
I got my start at Columbia trailers because of these Ore Containers for White Pass

Attachments

• White pass ore carrier.jpg
    White pass ore carrier.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 36

Welder Dave

I think that's what they called floats. Usually behind winch tractors for pulling skids, buildings and other platform type equipment on. The pipe roller at the back made it a lot easier. Most of the huge bed trucks had the rollers too.