• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of the Columbia trailer company

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I worked with Webb Butler a Big black guy who was fun to be around. One time we started to work on a small truck tank and I noticed there were no center marks on the head I mentioned this to Armando and he said just put them in as they go. We stuffed a head and then I fit and welded stiffners on, the print called for heads on the opposite end so we followed the same procedure, we were working fast so we really didn’t take time to stand back and look at the tank but Ray Denisuk son of Fred warned us something was wrong, the tank was getting a huge twist, not having center lines on the head was a big mistake, we should have never used those heads, I remember Armando looking sick when we told him and him saying this had never happened before. We cut out both heads and stiffners and Cosmo made new heads with centerlines. Lesson learned, no matter what anybody says never use heads without centerlines and they should follow the tank centerline as closely as possible. Our head flanger was not perfect, we tried to make the heads 1/2" bigger than the shell for a tight fit, we were lucky if we got the heads 1/2" bigger or smaller than the size we wanted. I worked with Webb quite a bit and really enjoyed working with him as he had me laughing all day. In the morning he would say good morning and as usual I would say nothing until he had repeated good morning about 3 times. Back then we had no plasma machines so manholes were cut out with skill saws in the baffles and the shell, drain holes were cut when the barrel was complete and upside down, we used a old air driven sabre saw that shook you like hell and went through blades like crazy, we pretty much fabricated every component on the tanks except for manhole rings we welded on the tanks, sumps, pipe elbows and suspensions. We formed the overturn rails, if you look and an old Columbia you can see the rails are in short sections and up on top not very straight, they did the job though. Don Trice, Nick More and Lionel Winerak all had quit so That made me the senior welder and Armando gave me more responsibilities, I was taught how to build manifolds from scratch and build ladders, Columbia also built other ore carriers I called them ant eaters because they were pointed at both ends. one time I was welding in one in a confined space and when I stopped I could not see anything the smoke was so thick, I never did that again. I was a grouch in the morning, everyone knew it so some of the guys used to always say good morning to me, I did not want to talk to anybody until first coffee other than Armando, I used to tell them what good is the morning. I had an aluminum tool box someone had left behind which had a flat top and some used for a work bench on the other shift, when I would come in for work in the morning sometimes I would find things on top of it so I would throw them on the floor, this one morning when I came in for work sure enough there was junk on my tool box so I threw the stuff off and tried to open my tool box but couldn’t, I lost my temper and tried kicking it open to no avail when I heard a lot of laughter, my co-workers had set me up, Ray had tacked the lid so I needed a chisel to open it, I did find the humor in it. Most of the guys were good people. Irvin Reddeman was one of my good friends, he was a very good welder and we got along well, one dayshift it was lunch time and Irvin has an empty ½ pint milk cartoon which he decides to fill with acetylene and oxygen then tape up we go outside where Columbia kept the lumber for the low beds and Irvin lights the carton on fire and we moved away and boom, it sounded like a bomb going off, Armando came running out and spots us, he just shakes his head and goes back in the shop. He always liked me not too sure about Irvin. One night shift there was only 3 of us working on chip boxes and preload bunks, no foremen, Nick Spagnola the foremen in the steel shop was to keep an eye on us, Irvin, Harold HiII and myself were working steady, I needed some parts so I walked by Irvin and just stopped for a second just at that time the Ken Van Raden walks through the shop and spots us but doesn’t say anything a short time later Nick shows up and says he is supposed to give us hell for slacking. Irv got real mad at that as we had been working steady until that point. Fast forward to the Company Christmas party I was with my wife Sally and Irv was with his wife and he got drunk, the Van Radens brothers were there, Fred and Ken, Ken was drunk and came around to our table Irvin eyes him up and says you’re a fucking asshole to him, I was shocked I thought that was it for Irvin’s job but come Monday morning nothing happened. One other memorable Christmas was when a bunch of us went on Harold Hill’s 40 ft. boat after the Christmas party, most of us were drunk, Fred Denisuk was drunk and when he went to get off the boat he fell in the Fraser River, our English maintenance man pulled him out. A lot of the workers didn’t like Fred but he had hired me and I never had a problem with him. So I don’t have a bad word to say about him. Once Pete and I were split up, sometimes I ended having many helpers to build the tanks, I wouldn't trust them to swing the 12 lb sledge hammer to pound the heads in so they just held the makeshift tool we used and I pounded the heads in. Armando would ask me how was the guy, if I could work with him I would say OK but if he was useless I just told Armando I could work faster by myself and he would be gone

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I was getting quite stong as I had joined a Gym along with welding and swinging a sledge hammer, I had a bit of a short fuse. we had turners for round tanks so we could weld a bit in the flat position. This one helpers job was to push the button to roll the tank while I welding on top, I kept telling him to push the button, he was eating cookies. At lunch I went out side for fresh air, this idiot helper follows me outside and smokes beside me. I'm a non smoker. I tell him to get away from me, he doesn't move, I tell him again, no movement. the third time I tell him if he doesn't move I'm going to pick him up and drop him on his head, he doesn't move so I grab his ankles, pick him up, move him away from where I was sitting and drop him on his head. Never saw him again after that. I had a few close calls and one serious injury at Columbia. We had rollers to roll the tank shells. we had to paper the shell so they didn't get scratched. We had rolled paper we rolled out on the floor and cut pieces, I hated this job so I got the bright idea of using the tank rollers to cut the paper on. I set the rolls as tight as they would go and fed the paper through it. I had a new helper, there are contols on both sides of the rolls. While I was feeding the paper in the rolls my hand got caught in the rolls, I panicked and yelled for my helper to reverse, luckily he hit the right button. All the meat was off my thumb and I could see the bone on my left trigger finger. The Docs fixed me up so I didn't lose any fingers. I almost killed my self rolling a 30 ft shell with the overhead crane. the shell was welded on the outside bottom but needed to be rolled over to weld the inside. I used a heavy chain to roll it over. The controls were on the south side near a completed tank so I had to stand between them. I gave the tank being rolled too much slack on the chain and the shell pinned my head to the completed tank I could feel the pressure on my skull until the shell bounced off my head and I dropped to my knees. No one else saw this as when I rolled tank shells eveyone seemed to disappear. The worse injury I ever saw was when Cosmo Cattroppa was grinding something, I was welding a truck tank shell when I heard all this yelling. I looked up to see Cosmo running toward me and then colapse, the first aid man ran over and pulled Cosmos pants down. there was a hole 1" above his penis about 3" long and maybe 3/4" wide, as soon as I saw that I ran to call an ambulance. A defective grinding disk exploded injuring Cosmo and later another man was inured in the foot by another defective disk. After that when I was grinding anything waist high I always turned my hips. Columbia built a lot of chip boxes most had aluminum sheet rivited to hat sections but we also built many with FRP sided ones. we also built self unloader semi chip boxes. I liked these breaks from building tanks. My job was usually setting up the top rails made of extruded Aluminum, fabricating and installing the doors. sometimes the doors would get a twist so I used that bullmoose to try to straighten the door by running over a corner. I forget what year it was but we had a tank explosion. It happened on the other shift. A hot tank has to be steamed before it comes in the shop usually at least 4 hours. Steam lines are dropped in every compartment. After steaming the tank is sniffed for being explosive or not. This semi is brought into the service shop, a fellow named Joe Boem started cutting a victaulic clamp off when there was a loud explosion, some manhole lids blew off and hit the ceiling. luckily Joe was not hurt. the inside of the tank was a mess, all the heads were blown to one end of the tank and the shell was buckled. Both lead hands were demoted. The strangest things I worked on at Columbia were for the Boss Fred Van Raden. I built a small steel bridge for his property in Portand. I built an Aluminum lifting device for a helicoper and Sailboat keel that would hold lead weight. the keel didn't work out as it warped. Fred was injured when was teaching a grandson how to cut a tree and this tree hit him. Things went south at Columbia then, the economy was slowing down. Fred did not want to take any new orders for the Aluminum shop. he had no interest in tanks so I was transfered to the service shop. At this point in time a guy I knew offered me a job at the same pay steady day shift. I was not impressed by the transfer to the service shoip, we called the service shop the penalty box. I was told to get a huge dent out of cement bulker with another man helping me, it was high up. we tried but couldn't get it out when I talked to the lead hand he said "if we couldn't do it he will find someone who could" I gave my notice and quit

Welder Dave

I started my apprenticeship in an oilfield tank shop. Mostly built hooped safety ladders (for 7 1/2 month's) which was a good job for a 1st year but also built skids and did some work on tanks. The guy in the tool crib said I must have dreamed about ladders at night. A lot of 1st years get stuck grinding or being a welders helper and barely touch a stinger. Biggest oops I ever did was when helping move a large tank to the door so the RT crane could put it in the yard. When setting the tank down I wasn't watching close enough and the cable for the crane control got caught on a nozzle. The tank was on the ground though. The down control still worked but the crane was taking off back into the shop. Thankfully the maintainence man happened to be there and saw what was happening and quickly ran and shut the breaker off. I never really got in trouble but it was pretty embarrassing. Certainly wasn't the worst oops to happen. I think that would go to one of the foremen. Had a 750bbl tank with studs welded on to hold insulation. The tank had to be hydrotested before the insulators could start work. Tank passed hydrotest but without thinking the foreman opened a valve to let the water out without first relieving the air pressure. Sucked the roof of the tank in! The pressure probably wasn't that high but lots of volume. Most tanks only got tested to 1 1/2 to 2 PSI. Seems really insignificant until you open a 1" valve to let the air out. You'd swear there's 120 PSI coming out. Almost enough to blow you over when you walk by and sometimes would whistle. One guy got fired for playing around with a laborer in a bucket truck. The bucket was up in the air but the controls had to run by someone on the ground. The guy in the bucket wasn't too fond of heights and the guy on the ground was going in and out with boom kind of traumatizing the laborer in the bucket. The bucket was a little sticky and sometimes you had to throw your weight a bit to level it out. A welder put a Walter Maxi grinder down inside a tank and didn't realize he put the Deadman switch down on his wire brush. Grinder took off and cut him in the gut pretty good. Safety switches are a good idea. Nobody gave them much thought back then. Another tank shop I worked at several years later had a bad accident a few month's after I had left. A tank was getting coal tar epoxy on the outside and coated on the inside. Somehow a static electric charge caused an explosion just as one of the painters was climbing out of it. It shook the whole paint shop and came off the supports it was on. That painter was seriously burned and another painter outside was also injured pretty bad but not as serious. I had heard the painter on the outside wouldn't go near a tank after he recovered. Can't blame him. Not too long I posted about a shop that was charged $300k for improper storage and not having a monitor in the acetylene storage room. A worker was killed a day after Christmas I think it was. Huge explosion that some people heard 2 miles away. The shop across the street shook. I didn't feel bad for the shop. The owner was a former foreman in a shop I worked where that shop owner was always screaming and yelling. Worked with a guy that formerly worked for this guy's shop and he said they had to tell the owner to stay out of the shop because he was always yelling and screaming for the stupidest reasons. Similar to you I quit a job because the foreman/boss complained about my production before I even started the job. They built tapered hexagon shaped flare stacks that were made in 2 sections that had to be welded together. Mig root pass and 7018 cap. He said you should get 2 done, if you can't get 2 done somethings wrong. I ended up getting almost 3 done which was as much as anybody else in the shop could do. A couple weeks later when I gave my notice he asked the real reason why I left. I said more pay and I felt like I was unjustifiably told I wasn't going fast enough. Interesting that he was so impressed with my welding he said I was too good of a welder not to have my B pressure ticket and signed me up for the test when he gave me my Christmas bonus a few month's earlier. I got lucky and passed the test on the 1st try. The test is about 30% welding skill and 70% nerves. I was really happy to get it though. My welding teacher in high school said an Alberta pressure ticket is recognized around the world as one of the highest standards. In Alberta welding is a required trade that you have to be either an apprentice or journeyman to work as. I have quite a few welding stories over the years.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I started my apprenticeship in an oilfield tank shop. Mostly built hooped safety ladders (for 7 1/2 month's) which was a good job for a 1st year but also built skids and did some work on tanks. The guy in the tool crib said I must have dreamed about ladders at night. A lot of 1st years get stuck grinding or being a welders helper and barely touch a stinger. Biggest oops I ever did was when helping move a large tank to the door so the RT crane could put it in the yard. When setting the tank down I wasn't watching close enough and the cable for the crane control got caught on a nozzle. The tank was on the ground though. The down control still worked but the crane was taking off back into the shop. Thankfully the maintainence man happened to be there and saw what was happening and quickly ran and shut the breaker off. I never really got in trouble but it was pretty embarrassing. Certainly wasn't the worst oops to happen. I think that would go to one of the foremen. Had a 750bbl tank with studs welded on to hold insulation. The tank had to be hydrotested before the insulators could start work. Tank passed hydrotest but without thinking the foreman opened a valve to let the water out without first relieving the air pressure. Sucked the roof of the tank in! The pressure probably wasn't that high but lots of volume. Most tanks only got tested to 1 1/2 to 2 PSI. Seems really insignificant until you open a 1" valve to let the air out. You'd swear there's 120 PSI coming out. Almost enough to blow you over when you walk by and sometimes would whistle. One guy got fired for playing around with a laborer in a bucket truck. The bucket was up in the air but the controls had to run by someone on the ground. The guy in the bucket wasn't too fond of heights and the guy on the ground was going in and out with boom kind of traumatizing the laborer in the bucket. The bucket was a little sticky and sometimes you had to throw your weight a bit to level it out. A welder put a Walter Maxi grinder down inside a tank and didn't realize he put the Deadman switch down on his wire brush. Grinder took off and cut him in the gut pretty good. Safety switches are a good idea. Nobody gave them much thought back then. Another tank shop I worked at several years later had a bad accident a few month's after I had left. A tank was getting coal tar epoxy on the outside and coated on the inside. Somehow a static electric charge caused an explosion just as one of the painters was climbing out of it. It shook the whole paint shop and came off the supports it was on. That painter was seriously burned and another painter outside was also injured pretty bad but not as serious. I had heard the painter on the outside wouldn't go near a tank after he recovered. Can't blame him. Not too long I posted about a shop that was charged $300k for improper storage and not having a monitor in the acetylene storage room. A worker was killed a day after Christmas I think it was. Huge explosion that some people heard 2 miles away. The shop across the street shook. I didn't feel bad for the shop. The owner was a former foreman in a shop I worked where that shop owner was always screaming and yelling. Worked with a guy that formerly worked for this guy's shop and he said they had to tell the owner to stay out of the shop because he was always yelling and screaming for the stupidest reasons. Similar to you I quit a job because the foreman/boss complained about my production before I even started the job. They built tapered hexagon shaped flare stacks that were made in 2 sections that had to be welded together. Mig root pass and 7018 cap. He said you should get 2 done, if you can't get 2 done somethings wrong. I ended up getting almost 3 done which was as much as anybody else in the shop could do. A couple weeks later when I gave my notice he asked the real reason why I left. I said more pay and I felt like I was unjustifiably told I wasn't going fast enough. Interesting that he was so impressed with my welding he said I was too good of a welder not to have my B pressure ticket and signed me up for the test when he gave me my Christmas bonus a few month's earlier. I got lucky and passed the test on the 1st try. The test is about 30% welding skill and 70% nerves. I was really happy to get it though. My welding teacher in high school said an Alberta pressure ticket is recognized around the world as one of the highest standards. In Alberta welding is a required trade that you have to be either an apprentice or journeyman to work as. I have quite a few welding stories over the years.
I'm pretty sure I know of the shop you speak of that blew up. Out in Nisku right?

Welder Dave

I'm pretty sure I know of the shop you speak of that blew up. Out in Nisku right?
Yup, I posted it not too long ago, Jaco welding. It took a couple years for the judgement but at the time I thought they'd never release what happened and it would kind of just go away. I also was pretty sure the only way to have that big of an explosion was acetylene cylinders blowing up. I wonder if the company is continuing to help out the family of the killed worker? $300K isn't really that much for taking a life.

Last edited:

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
If you ever saw the fab line at a meat processing plant-they wore chainmail around lower torso.
My Dad was a butcher at Swift's Canadian meat packing plant, he had a chain mail left hand forearm guard, I worked for a Day in a half there when i was laid off from Columbia. I hated it, pig eye balls on the floor blood everywhere, I saw how they made hot dog wieners. the Superintendent was a jerk.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I forgot to mention two fellows and I were stuck in a upside down Aluminum tank for 2 weeks grinding everything smooth. we were told it was to be some kind of food tank. this was the worse job I ever had.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
nerves I know about. when in welding school my buddy gave me a Valium to take the last test for our number 3 ticket. I passed. I hated it when some big shots were watching me build tanks

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
We have had a huge snow dump here. reminds me of the time I was on day shift at Columbia and many couldn't drive home because of the distance they lived. These fellows worked a double shift. i lived about 3 miles away so walked home with a fellow who was brought up in Ontario. I was all bundled up, he wore a tee shirt. I had to walk back to work the next day.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Columbia Trailers made their own head blowing machine. It looked like a big jaw, with a rubber covered base, hydraulic jacks than could be moved were on the top section above the head die to be used. Columbia had many head dies from quite small to large, An 0 grade sheet of aluminum about 1/8 thick would be put in then the top jaw would close, any adjustment of the jacks would take place. three large pins locked the jaw in place then the 10,000 psi jacks were activated. Air pressure formed the head, a dish from 6" to 7" was the norm depending of the hardness of the Aluminum sheet. this was a two man operation as the aluminum sheets had to be moved by hand. after the head was blown the flat sections were cut by skill saw to fit the head flanger. The head flanger made in 1955 used micro switches to activate the hydraulics. a 1/4" steel die the shape of the head allowed two wheels to follow for cutting the shape, all the flat sections remaining were cut off. two powered wheels with steel rounded dies clamped the head and started to form the flange, there was a wheel you cranked to make the flange, you would crank it about 6 times a rotation. a perfect flange was under 90 degrees maybe 80 degree's. This was because we made the shell size according to the the heads sizes. We wanted the heads to be 1/2" bigger than the shell. I mentioned before the flanger was not very accurate. sometime the heads were too tight some times loose, Tight heads the tank would have a long life too loose was no good. I remember after I had just started working for Columbia the whole crew had to go to the service shop to see a tank cut apart and Fred saying this is not how you build a tank, all the heads were too loose and had broke apart inside.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

I was at Beall-Portland picking up a MC 406 code trailer that had some internal repairs done.
While waiting I got a tour of the production shop. Very interesting looking at trailers in all
different stages of manufacture. I watched as a bulk head was being flanged.

Welder Dave

You should see the heads they can make at Edmonton Exchanger. Up to 8" thick and heated to 1650F. They designed and built a 3000 ton head press that uses a 6' dia. hydraulic cylinder. They also spin large heads. I went to school with the shop superintendent. He got lucky, he went there for work experience in 1981 and was offered a job. Worked as a welder for 12 years, then became a foreman and worked his way up about as high as he could go. Interesting he bought an acreage of me when I subdivided. I'm glad it wasn't one of the bullies I went to school with that got that job offer. Mind you they probably wouldn't have lasted.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I was at Beall-Portland picking up a MC 406 code trailer that had some internal repairs done.
While waiting I got a tour of the production shop. Very interesting looking at trailers in all
different stages of manufacture. I watched as a bulk head was being flanged.
Columbia Trailers got their tank building expertise from Beall in Portland. An old Columbia tank looked like a Beall tank

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
A friend who worked in the Columbia trailers Steel shop named Russ Phelan gave me some more info, Seems Fred Van Raden designed some logging trailers. Russ told me when he was a kid he tack welded some parts for Fred on a logging trailer.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Talked to Bill Shea today, he worked for Willock, Columbia trailers and still works some for Columbia Remtec as a Sales rep. He gave me some new info and jogged my brain, going to chat and get more info to post

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Yup, I posted it not too long ago, Jaco welding. It took a couple years for the judgement but at the time I thought they'd never release what happened and it would kind of just go away. I also was pretty sure the only way to have that big of an explosion was acetylene cylinders blowing up. I wonder if the company is continuing to help out the family of the killed worker? $300K isn't really that much for taking a life.
Charges laid in Eastway Tank explosion that killed 6 workers https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eastway-tank-ottawa-explosion-charges-laid-1.6704496