• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
No measurements but the thought of building one has been on my mind....it would look great beside the 850...

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yep. Back when the extra you paid for a CAT machine got you something instead of just giving Caterpillar a big, fat profit.

Last edited:

HDX

Greatwestcam That set of pics you just posted of the two HDX's pulling pups sure got my attention. Here's some of the story on them! One of them was bought new by Ajax Logging in Terrace and delivered Aug 27/73 and the other truck was bought by them and delivered Nov 7/73 These two trucks ended up in the Ritchie Bros auction in Kitimat BC Thur June 7 1984 This was the big auction where all the Skoglund Logging Equipment was sold off. As it turned out a couple of us drivers tried to get M&B to buy them because Franklin River division had converted over to PreLoad trucks and these two would have fit right in BUT alas it was not to be. Crown Z bought hem both and sent them down to the coast right away. One of them was numbered 40-101 and this is where I came to know them. old 40-101 was being cut up at the Courtenay shop (At the "Y") and I managed to buy the cab off her. The drivers door was missing and some other things but for the most part it was a VERY GOOD CAB. Joe Wiley (Saratoga Ventures) helped me get it so I am eternally grateful to him for that. That cab would become the cab I rebuilt and installed on Elk River Timber #26 when we restored her. I had no idea what the history of 40-101 was until I started sanding down the cab and found a red stripe around the back and sand colored paint --that's when the lights went on, I went up and got the old R/B flyers out and started digging and there she was. Holy Cow!!! I never found out what happened to the sister truck because nobody seemed to know. I guessed that it might have become 40-102 or maybe 40-100 Only one of the old Crown Z guys might know I will get Hayesno1 to post some of the pictures for me Thanks for the flashback !!!!

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Greatwestcam; great pics as usual. Those HDX preloaders looks great. Good to see some pics of Skoglunds trucks. They had quite a few Hayes and KW's in their fleet. Hope to see more pics of Skoglund trucks. HDX, thanks for filling in great information - for sure I will post those pics.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Here's one, Celgars Hayes from Nakusp. 1971

Very interesting. So to test my understanding, this is a HDX flex frame, conventional logger. Is the cab center mounted or off set? What was the power for it? I am guessing 12 x 24 boots, 10' bunks. Any idea of the wheel base?

Still so much to learn, but what a great place to do so!
Ap40

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
It also appears to have been repowered, to Cummins or Cat. Based on the second (and currently empty) stack protector, I would guess that it originally ran the usual 12V71.

Edit:

And what a coincidence, as this is also POST number 1271. :D

Last edited:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Very interesting. So to test my understanding, this is a HDX flex frame, conventional logger. Is the cab center mounted or off set? What was the power for it? I am guessing 12 x 24 boots, 10' bunks. Any idea of the wheel base?

Still so much to learn, but what a great place to do so!
Ap40

Ap40rocktruck; this is a HD with centermounted cab. The big difference between the hd and the hdx is The frame and the fenders. I will post some pics to show the differences between The 2 ok

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Ap40rocktruck; this is a HD with centermounted cab. The big difference between the hd and the hdx is The frame and the fenders. I will post some pics to show the differences between The 2 ok

I thought it was a HD, just asking for clarification as it had been referred to as a HDX in other posts, or at least seem so. :Banghead:Banghead

Thanks

Ap40

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I am still grieving for the loss of the company that, 40 years ago, ran ads on the back page of National Geographic magazine that said, 'There are no easy solutions, only intelligent choices.' Probably when the 988A was designed and built. The company made a good machine worth the extra money they charged for it. The product mad now is still expensive, but extra money you pay for the machine goes on the Caterpillar balance sheet, not into the product the customer uses. My motto now, 'Anything but Cat.' The company's treatment of its customers and their employees is a betrayal of the trust the company worked so,hard and long to build. Somewhere along the road, someone forgot the message from 40 years ago and took the easy solution to fatten the Caterpillar balance sheet. The numbers on that balance come from their customers and their employees. Sad but true. The company made me so upset that I took a couple of thousand dollars worth of Cat clothing I owned to the Sally Ann. I categorically refuse to spend anymore of my hard earned money to wear clothing advertising a business that isn't what it used to be. That hurt, I'll tell you. At least the homeless people are warm and the advertising Caterpillar is getting isn't costing them anything and I feel a lot better. That's what I call a win, win, win situation. How many times does something like that happen in a lifetime?

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
All I heard was 144 1 HDX 0 Apparently the maxi on the grapple yarder failed and it rolled off the lowbed on to the HDX while the HDX was pushing the lowbed .No more details than that right now

So here's little more info on the Holberg 144 escapade. The push truck was a P16, the regular truck driven by my next door neighbour. He showed me the video of the truck being pulled out of one side of the road, with intake plumbing all jury rigged up because of the damage to the front end of the truck when it was hit by the lowbed ramps flopping onto the truck. Truck is down for a bent frame. The 144 ended up up in the weeds, narrowly avoiding tipping over, but with little to no damage. Apparently the whole escapade was quite a show. I sure miss logging. Loggers have more fun at work than miners. But, miners make more money, sad to say, but true. That's why WFP has to pay young fellers to go their Logger's University. Too bad, they didn't have a deal like that when I was a kid. I would have even paid them, instead them paying me.

Last edited:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Ross and his 1928 Hayes-Anderson logging truck at the 90th Anniversary of Hayes trucks last year in Port Alberni.

Attachments

• IMG_0741s.jpg
    IMG_0741s.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_0742s.jpg
    IMG_0742s.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,575
  • IMG_0743s.jpg
    IMG_0743s.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,820