• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Drifter

Pictures

photo-5.jpgTook this picture just west of Loyd Minister
photo-3.jpgThis one is in Cranbrook Bc
photo.jpgThis one is for sale in OK Falls BC
photo-4.jpgFound this one in a field south of Prince George BC.
photo-1.jpgThis one is mine that I bought this spring 1970 335 cummins 5+4 transmission HD 33/56 serial # 0033922. Soon to get a ground up restoration.

HDX any chance you could tell us some info on it? Thanks

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Nekite R. 1979 #221 WHD Hayes bought new by Cattermole Trethewey , aquired by BCFP when they bought out C&T. If a truck was a bit of an orphan and had a tough life your looking at it. The trailer was a miss match the rider bars were to close and wouldn't allow the trailer tires sit in them low enough to stay on the truck if the air bled off,if you loaded it with the bunk turned cross ways there were no ears on the bunk to hold the trailer in the center, the trailer would slide over to the right and hang off the side. I had it sitting in the rider bars with the bunk turned heading out early one morning hit a bump going down a bit of a hill trailer roll farword into water tank . Next bit of a hill I started up the trailer roll right off the back of the truck ,looked behind me to see the trailer on the ground with reach sticking straight up in the air . Luck'lly there was a front end loader not far away, used it to hook the trailer back up,Scan508.jpg dragged it up towards the loader turned it around by backing it up a rock face then backing it up for about a 1000 feet to get to the loader.

HDX

That was the FIRST WHD built by Hayes Looked better before lift turned a blind eye to her Any idea what ever became of her or where she ended up camptramp

camptramp

Occupation
That was the FIRST WHD built by Hayes Looked better before lift turned a blind eye to her Any idea what ever became of her or where she ended up camptramp
HDX I`ve seen it somewheres on one of these threads I think it ended up at Elk River Timber as a water truck .

HDX

Drifter I just about fell down- I don't know where you found her but as soon as I saw the serial # it all fell into place. She was the first of a 6 truck order. Bought new by Rayonier Canada These trucks were delivered to Jordan River. Master Mechanic was Hal Fladager There are very few of these girls around and your is RARE I have one of them still in logging mode.Fully retired awaiting resto. Mine is unit # 2133 and yours was I believe 2128 I will double check with Hal Does yours still have the two Sangamo units on top of the dash instead of the Speedo and Tach???? Yours was delivered Jan 19/70Cummins NTC 335 serial#703196 Spicer 1263-A main serial #1210391 Spicer 8341 Aux serial # 1306951 rear ends are SRD's 754 ratio. Top speed 51 MPH 10:00X22 tires Truck color was Yellow #150. Looks like light yellow. Black shutters. The fuel tank was the flat one bolted to the front of the water tank that sat right behind the cab. These trucks were delivered with NO BRUSHGUARD it was to do with weight on the highway down there. How about blasting a couple more pics maybe interior shots for some of the guys on here. Congrats on your new addition to the family. OH by the way IS there anything left of the shifter boots These were the leather one's with a brass zipper and a caulk boot lace ???

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
HDX 2128 is an 849 K/W in Juene Landing

Last edited:

Drifter

Thanks for the information HDX!
I will try and get some more interior pictures. It still has the funny looking tach on the dash. Not sure about the shifter boots but I don't remember seeing what you described. The truck isn't in to bad of shape still going to need a ton of work. The rear suspension is totally shot. I wounder if anybody has some pictures of those trucks when they were new?

Drifter

I will try and get some more interior pictures. It still has the funny looking tach on the dash. Not sure about the shifter boots but I don't remember seeing what you described. The truck isn't in to bad of shape still going to need a ton of work. The rear suspension is totally shot. I wounder if anybody has some pictures of those trucks when they were new?

Drifter

HDX

075 OK Was not sure of the numbers and I went down from 2133. I will call Hal and ask him. Drifter Don't get too hung up about the rear suspension. What you are going to do is roll the entire bogie out of her and install an air ride suspension into it That will bring it into the 21st century Pete airtrac or NuWay anything like that will work. It will make your new truck ride like a mattress instead of a 2x4 with steel wheels. When you get the chance PM Me and I will help you with some ideas OK Thanks again 075

HDX

Drifter Your truck was Canadian Puget Sound Timber Co LTD unit #2131 Was talking to Doug last night so you are on the right track He is right handy to you so that will be a big help Keep us posted as to progress OK

HDX

After talking with camptramp we decided that the list of trucks would be a good idea. If any of you guys out there come across one of them out there somewhere in your travels please snap a picture of her and get it posted on here. It is not for some ones collection It is for history. There are very few people around the world that would have the chance to ever see them in person and this is our way of sharing them with you!!!!

Truck numbers in the early years of BCFP are hard to figure out because this new company was buying other companies up and moving equipment around to suit their needs So in 1946 they bought out Industrial Timber and with them came two Hayes logging trucks--one of which is the old Hayes with the gravel box on her over in Sechelt The other was lost to history. Next they bought out Tom Brown Lake Logging Operation in Glendale Cove. That camp had 4 Hayes logging trucks. They were spread around their now BCFP camps when Glendale was shut down Two went to Britain River and two went to Vancouver Bay.In 1957 Britain River division was closed and moved across to a new camp called Glacier Creek. Smaller camp now so a few of the trucks were transferred to other camps. #172 ended up at Harris Creek. Im not sure how the rest played out but here they are Maybe some one out there knows some thing and can jump in here!!!!

Industrial Timber two truck numbers unknown.

Tom Brown Lake trucks:
#1 stayed as #1
#2 became #159
#3 stayed as #3
#4 became #169 ex-Britain River truck

1954:

6-210 HDX Caycuse
6-209 HDX Caycuse
6-208 HDX Caycuse
6-207 HDX Caycuse
6-206 HDX Bear Creek/Harris Creek
6-205 HDX Bear Creek/ Harris Creek
6-204 HDX Bear Creek/Harris Creek
6-203 HDX Bear Creek /Harris Creek

6-211 HDX Caycuse
6-212 HDX Renfrew

HD Hayes 20-70 unit # unknown Operation unknown
6-213 HDX Caycuse
6-214 HDX Caycuse

6-215 HDX Pitt Lake
6-216 HDX Pitt Lake

6-217 HDX Pitt Lake This was the first BCFP truck with planetary rear ends

6-218 HDX Pitt Lake
6-219 HDX Caycuse
6-220 HDX Caycuse
6-221 HDX Caycuse
6-222 HDX Renfrew
6-223 HDX Renfrew

6-224 HDX Renfrew

Hayes Log Unloader Renfrew
6-225 Renfrew
for some reason there was no record of a 6-226 cant find anything about it

6-227 HDX Pitt Lake
6-228 HDX Caycuse

6-229 HDX Caycuse First HDX with flat front bumper (was only one built like that)

6-230 HDX Caycuse First Allison Auto Trans in a BCFP truck
6-231 HDX Caycuse
6-232 HDX Renfrew

6-233 HDX Caycuse
6-234 HDX Caycuse
6-235 HDX Pitt Lake
6-236 HDX Renfrew
6-237 HDX Renfrew
6-238 HDX Renfrew

6-239 HDX Renfrew
6-240 HDX Caycuse

6-241 HDX Caycuse
6-242 HDX Caycuse
6-243 HDX Renfrew
6-244 HDX Renfrew

6-245 HDX Malibu
6-246 HDX Malibu
6-247 HDX Nekite
6-248 HDX Narrows With 2 trailers
6-249 HDX Caycuse
6-250 HDX Caycuse

6-251 HDX Caycuse
6-252 HDX Caycuse
6-253 HDX Silver River
6-254 HDX Nekite This was to be the last Hayes BCFP bought Delivered Oct/1974

The reason for putting Bear Creek / Harris Creek on a couple of the early HDX's is because I was not sure of what camp they were really at

HDX

As a follow up to the early years there was some trucks that were missed and I don't know the location of some of them

#159 ex Tom Brown #2 ?????
#167 Vancouver Bay Division
#168 Vancouver Bay Division
#169 Britain River Division ex Tom Brown#4
#170 Britain River Division
#171 Britain River Division
#172 Britain River Division sent down to Harris Creek
#173 Vancouver Bay Division
#174 ????

camptramp

Occupation
HDX I have been lead to under stand in the late 1940's and early 1950's the logging trucks at Harris Cr. were Hayes ,the logging trucks at Bear Cr. were Kenworths . When Bear Cr. amaigamated with Harris Cr. in the late 1950's ,the best of Bear Cr. trucks were combined with Harris Cr. HDX Hayes. If theres anyone out there that can confirm this please let us know. If you know the numbers of the trucks at Bear Cr. or Harris Cr. from 1946 to 1960 again please let us know. I know Stan Harrison of Harrison Logging bought some of these trucks does any body know their numbers.

HDX

camptramp The Bear Creek/Harris Creek Trucks seemed to be like the Caycuse/Renfrew Trucks later on so that is why I included them together. I talked to 31Kenworth yesterday and he is going to try and post the Kenworth truck numbers and camps. I think you have all the P16 Pacifics down. When time permits we will do the MacMillan Bloedel Truck numbers. This should have been on the BCFP Thread so I will repost it over there also