• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

HDX

Well Well Well it seems you north island guys are keeping a secret!!!! Tell us all a story about a Low-Bed and a Hayes HDX pushtruck! Seems the Madill Grapple Yarder came out on top Ring any bells guy's!!!!

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I hadn't heard the story about the lowbed and push truck. The only thing I remember is when the Y-03 was being low bedded from Kelsey after it came off the barge the swing brake band broke as the truck crossed the Eve River and slowly swung the boom out over the side of the bridge. The truck driver got it shutdown before anything happened, but it gave him a bit of a scare as the lowbed leaned way over. The only picture I have of H37 is after it was rebuilt Ted Klettke took a picture of the shop crew standing around it. The foreman gave us all a copy and I still have it on the fridge at home. By the way, I managed to keep the " EVE RIVER WE DELIVER " banner, my most prized keepsake.

Last edited:

BTC

Hdx

I hadn't heard the story about the lowbed and push truck. The only thing I remember is when the Y-03 was being low bedded from Kelsey after it came off the barge the swing brake band broke as the truck crossed the Eve River and slowly swung the boom out over the side of the bridge. The truck driver got it shutdown before anything happened, but it gave him a bit of a scare as the lowbed leaned way over. The only picture I have of H37 is after it was rebuilt Ted Klettke took a picture of the shop crew standing around it. The foreman gave us all a copy and I still have it on the fridge at home. By the way, I managed to keep the " EVE RIVER WE DELIVER " banner, my most prized keepsake.

HDX,

Are you referring to this week in Holberg? I haven't heard any details.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
All I heard was 144 1 HDX 0 Apparently the maxi on the grapple yarder failed and it rolled off the lowbed on to the HDX while the HDX was pushing the lowbed .No more details than that right now

HDX

Yes that's the one! Guess we have to wait for 075 to come to the info table. I saw just one photo of the push truck and it sure got my attention! So many hours spent behind a lowbed over the years and it always crosses your mind "Jeez what if" then you forget about it. When you look at the stuff we have pushed pulled and dragged up mountains that we never should have--just lucky I guess. Now the sad part begin's THE DREADED PAPERWORK The investigators will come up with the most unusual findings and remedies. In the old days with M&B at the top of the investigation report it said "Cause and remedy--Not Blame" Now its -- Well You signed off on this move so you must be responsible for this TARFU!!!!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
HDX Just found this sight posting #182 is a picture of 6-205 I believe it was new at BCFP Harris Cr. and that would the Harris Cr. shop . My mermory,s a little hazy but Fred Call drove either the 6-204 or 6-205 when it was new until he got the 6-222 arond 1970 when Wady Weeks moved off the 6-222 to the 66-138. which ever truck it was was in mint condion as Fred was a great driver and really babied it.

camptramp

Occupation
HDX posting #63 is picture of Steel Rock,s #2 a later posting is a letter from the owner explain,s it,s history back to the late and great Bill Neil . Bill had his last two truck,s an 849 or 850 Kenwort #16 and HDX Hayes #18 hauling with us at BCFP Renfrew Div. from 1980 to 1985. I believe Bill bought it new and I know it was his last HDX Hayes . Our friend Michael Dean did a painting of a yellow HDX crossing a wooden bridge at the bottom of Tr.11 crossing the Gordon R. That is Bill Neil,s last HDX Hayes with Carl Carlson at the wheel. Its nice to see it found agood home . I took the picture I own the origeninal painting and when I picked it up I mention to Michael Carl was alive ,he gave me a reprint to give carl . Carl stiill has his wits about him, got be in his 80,s and it sure made his day.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Good to hear Carl Carlson is still alive and kicking, I worked with him at CE (Ted) Routh trucking from 86 to 90 when he retired.
Remember him talking many times about Bill Neil. there was another driver there named Don Kennedy from Renfrew area, the two of them would tell some tall tales didn't know if they were all true or not but were fun to listen to.

camptramp

Occupation
Greatwestcam Carl still tells a great yarn. I spent awhile with him the day I dropped off the pictures ,we had quite a chuckle as he was telling me about his 2nd Hooking days on the steam skidder at Bear Cr. One of his tricks to get a rest was to send in 2 or 3 light turns to use up the steam prssure then load it down with a heavy turn. Then he and his choker men got a rest while the Fireman worked his butt off to build up the steam pressure. Your right Carl never runs out of tales to tell.

camptramp

Occupation
HDX As I was browsing through this web sight on posting #769 I found a reference to BCFP Nekite Div. 6-247 know doubt it is the #6-247 .It had a ram under the truck bunk to hook up to the lowbed the #6-254 had the same setup. what might explain the smoth frame where the serial # should be is the fact the Nekite Main was reasonably flat valley bottom and was about as rough as any off highway haul road Ive been on. Combind that with a driver named Dave Uppton whos only speed was flat out and drove both the 6-247 and 6-254 and you have two not so old HDXs that had a pretty tough life . The frame on the 6-254 broke behind the battery box when I was there in 1979 . I would think someone has done alot of welding and grinding on those truck when they were rebuilt.

camptramp

Occupation
HDX Just stumbled across posting #1182 an artical on Bill Neils first HDX and first HDX built . I shared the road with Bill from 1980 to 1985 at BCFP Renfrew Div. 1980 -1982 we stayed in the bunk houses at camp . Many evenings at mug up were spent shooting the breeze . I recall him telling us about the first HDX beening wrecked down at Sooke hauling for Butlers ,it had to have been in the early the 1970s as he pulled out of Butlers around 1976. He told us he replaced the original cab with the cab off a highway truck he found up island . He left Butlers with three trucks . His newer HDX went to Kokish CZ with his son Larry driving it he took his 850 Kenworth to CZ Nitnat and sent his old HDX up Jervis Inlet to Domans OB Logging He told us about a new driver breaking in on it ,he suspected the driver and trainie were BSing in the cab and forgot to charge the trailer with air.The truck had a run away and got wrecked,at that time as far as he knew the wreck was still at OB Logging

HDX

OK camptramp Good thinking We knew she was wrecked up there but that was all. Heard she might have ended up at intertruck in Nanaimo to be finally parted out but another pure speculation thing No solid proof. Our little Hayes Club is going to McLeans Mill truck show next weekend and we are going to make it kind of a BCFP Tribute weekend Every year we try to complement the Heritage society here in town that holds this show out there and our little club makes the effort to try and honour at least one company Elk River Timber has been done and several other little companies so we thought that this year we would do BCFP. The heritage society has mostly port alberni stuff so we try to add to the mix if you will So drag along all the BCFP guys you can find and do the road trip thing OH and don't forget your pictures LOL I will bring a couple truck pictures from Brittain River Division as well

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Some Skogland trucks from Terrace BC. in the 1970's.

Attachments

• Image (34) (640x459).jpg
    Image (34) (640x459).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 735
  • Image (35) (640x449).jpg
    Image (35) (640x449).jpg
    175 KB · Views: 719
  • Image (36) (640x457).jpg
    Image (36) (640x457).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 726
  • Image (37) (640x447).jpg
    Image (37) (640x447).jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 718
  • Image (38) (640x515).jpg
    Image (38) (640x515).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 722

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Came across this one in Dawson City Yukon a couple weeks back. It was apparently owned by Antler out of Prince George originally and it had some sort of boom affair on it for yarding logs when this guy bought it many years ago. He installed the dump box and has been using it to haul paydirt for years. I didn't know where to look for serial numbers but I think he said it was a 69. It has a Cummins and a 5-4 trans...He was asking $10k for the truck.
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG

I have a few more shots of it if anyone is interested...

Reg

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Yeah I really wanted to bring it home but it wouldn't fit in our camper...I thought the cab was in amazing shape and it would make a great show truck! I'll post up some more shots in a bit.

Reg