• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Happy New 955L Owner With Questions

leadfarmer

Before moving dirt for a few hours today I used an air wand to blow out the rad and oil cooler from both sides. I think it helped. Nothing smelled toasty and it was 60F ambient today, a little warmer. I checked the trans filter housing with an IR temp gun after operating and it was 220F.

leadfarmer

Is there any chance a 955H bucket is the same as a 955L bucket? I found a deal on a H model bucket in great shape that would be a nice upgrade for my L.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
H is a Different Breed altogether. Measure EVERYTHING and check Pin sizing first.
Yep, it's get your tape measure out time.
Someone may know off the top of their head but your quickest option is probably do all the measurements and compare.

There is a Special Instruction regarding lift arms which includes 955 models. The problem is that it does not include the H model.
According to that document (REHS9596) the lift arm assembly for all the following 955 models is the same 4V-7348 Part Number.

upload_2020-6-12_13-34-5.png

The issue is that REHS9596 makes no mention of the 955C (12A) or 955H (60A). The list of 955 models is below. Compare what's on that list to what's on the first one and it seems that the numbers don't stack up 100% - back to "get the tape measure out"............

upload_2020-6-12_13-36-44.png

Fat Dan

Thanks Nige
Got a late start today and will get the measurements first thing and post them when I get a chance..

leadfarmer

Thanks for the info but the bucket deal has fallen through. No further info needed unless you want to post it for posterity. My friend and fellow 955L owner is no longer buying the 955H for parts because the parts he wanted won’t work him (tracks and other stuff).

Fat Dan

Sorry guys I had a pain filled day Arthur Idus stopped by and kicked me hard. Went out and discovered right away the 12A bucket control arms were quit different from any other later version it has a dog leg so for posterity I drew up a new set of pictures and took the measurements the best I could and set them up in a table.
Sorry Nige but I hurt too bad to transfer the data to digital right now so if you can give me a few days I'll polish it up and check my measurements. in the mean time I took some pictures of the data I retrieved today.
----------
I see an error or two but I cant fix till tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_E4039[1].JPG
    IMG_E4039[1].JPG
    554.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Bucket arm control03.jpg
    Bucket arm control03.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 02.jpg
    BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 02.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As noted the H is a different Breed altogether, relates back to the old Cat Traxcavator design more than to the later series.

Fat Dan

My wallpaper has a fair view of all three Cat's showing the Bucket Control Arms
From the rear is the 1958, 12A-04040, middle is the 1960, 12A-08263, front is the 1957, 12A-03563 visually they all look the same but at 12A-03806 they had a few minor dimensional differences.
Thanks everyone.
YouTube Logo.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Dan

Sorry guys I had a pain filled day Arthur Idus stopped by and kicked me hard. Went out and discovered right away the 12A bucket control arms were quit different from any other later version it has a dog leg so for posterity I drew up a new set of pictures and took the measurements the best I could and set them up in a table.
Sorry Nige but I hurt too bad to transfer the data to digital right now so if you can give me a few days I'll polish it up and check my measurements. in the mean time I took some pictures of the data I retrieved today.
----------
I see an error or two but I cant fix till tomorrow.

Sorry everyone but I'm having a bugger of a time getting back on step. I will recheck my numbers ... when i get caught up on my honey-dos... Again sorry, but she is better looking than most of us, soooooo.. Tomorrow if things go well.

Fat Dan

OK, back in the saddle again. Got a few things done and took a closer look at the 12A bucket control arms. The 12A bucket control arms are very close in makeup the few changes are marked on the the manual pages. The primary change was the lever assem. arm (marked X) at 12A-03806 Cat increased the thickness of the lever instead of the two piece layered earlier style. Two more small changes were made in connection with the leaver arm: one was the top pin had a change in pin p/n and second change was the bolt holding the bottom pin went from a through bolt to a threaded locking bolt. Also there was a change to the top pin p/n (marked D4), on the rear of the bucket control arm.
Measurements in fractions were made with a tape measure, Measurements in decimals were made with a micrometer.
Best I could do whit what I had. I have a short video I'll Post on YouTube in a day or two.

Attachments

• BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 001.jpg
    BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 001.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 6
  • BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 002.jpg
    BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 002.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Bucket arm control03.jpg
    Bucket arm control03.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 6
  • BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 02.jpg
    BUCKET CONTROL ARMS 02.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 6

leadfarmer

Alright, back to the oil level issue I thought was myself incorrectly adding fluid to the bevel gear case instead of the transmission.

After some more hours of seat time, I can confirm with certainty that the transmission fluid is transferring to the bevel gear case. It is doing so at a fairly high rate. Several gallons over a few hours.

I have been removing oil from the bevel gear case through the filler tube and adding fresh fluid to the transmission so I can accomplish the work I need to get done. I need to finish a few more projects and then I will have some downtime for a repair.

I did some more research and found several other places saying the steering clutch pump can suck oil out of the transmission if the pump seals are bad or the steering clutch oil screen is clogged. Here is one: https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=crawlers&th=53142

Is it worth checking the steering clutch pressure to try and confirm this? It sounds like the steering clutch pump is getting fluid one way or another if the seals are bad. I also read in the service manual that the fluid pressure won't be at maximum condition unless the clutches are new. Given that the steering clutches function without issue, I'm guessing there isn't much value in checking the pressure.

I will pull the steering gear oil screen again and clean/inspect it first.

How difficult is it to service the steering clutch pump? Any tips and tricks for removal, overhaul, and re-installation? I didn't find anything in the 85J 955L service manual I have about servicing this pump.

If it ends up being the pinion seal is leaking between the transmission and bevel gear case (which I have also gotten from several sources is unlikely to fail) then I will just have to live with it and keep playing the oil shuffle game as I am not up to pulling the transmission at this time or in the near future. A few gallons of oil will just be the cost of getting work done. Given the high rate of fluid transfer, that makes me suspect the issue is with the pump rather than the pinion seal.

leadfarmer

Question regarding the fuel shut off on the bottom of the fuel tank. Does turning it in shut the fuel off or turning it out shut the fuel off? I was fiddeling with it today and got turned around.

Also, what is the normal operating temperature for the motor?

Fat Dan

I think the OEM gauge was just as simple as cold, normal Operating temp and hot. Normal OP is around 180°F to 200°F

Under 180° and suit doesn't clear exhaust and stack may build carbon or sweat and 212° is boiling point. Being it is an open system I'd go no more than 15psi (12psi preferred) and nothing over 195°F at sea level.

Last edited: