• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I made a mistake about the Sayward truck ( I have made it before)...That is Art's truck.He is the original owner and has done a lot of work to it.I met him 4 years ago at the Alberni Truck show...I believe it is truck #7.....
You may have posted that pic before as I have that one....Here is a recent one....

truck#7.jpg arts grizzly 1.jpg

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Yes now that you say that you are absolutely right, it was truck 7 I remember him saying now... glad to see it’s back up and running. I thought I posted that pic before too but pretty sure it was in another thread... sorry I don’t have more of it...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Back together again...Steering and brakes are dead quiet now.I changed to a different style of can on the pump,changed the relief valve and changed all the return line routing.They all dump into the can now...This pump can fills direct from a external reservoir.I just changed all the fittings in the reservoir I was using...
Lots of work as usual but now everything is happy.Now I need to finish off the box but I can at least drive the truck again.
Time to finally get the truck back to the glass shop and have the windshields fixed (sealed)
All is good.

grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks Guys.....took the truck out for a 25 mile trip today..Little bit of hwy and lots of country road...Everything was good.Ran at 180 deg with no issues..Very happy with the torque of the Cummins..
The front still seems a little twitchy.Truck almost feels light on the nose which obviously isn't the case...I may need a better steering damper or go to a dual unit...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Put another 100 miles on the truck and all is good.While it was at the glass shop someone saw it and came in.He left a note with the manager saying his Uncle had truck #5 and left a phone number..I called tonight and had a great conversation with him.He does indeed have it and its been in his family since new.He loves the truck and like me is working hard on refining it...Truck is up north here in BC..
He told me the trucks have a tag in the door jam with the truck # on it...Interesting as mine doesn't.
Anyways...another truck found alive and well...He is going to get me some current pictures.

IMG_0001 (2).jpg

Reactions: 075

diamondtguy

Occupation
Owner of truck # 5 says there were only 12 trucks built...He also said that the burgundy one that is in Qualicum is the last one built..I have heard that before.Now.. he says that is truck #12.Owner said it is truck #13....Thus my question about door tags..
I recently heard from a good friend that his contractor knew my truck well and used to drive it all the time when new.He also said the truck was built for Jean (Geoffs wife)So if my truck was never intended to be sold did the 2nd truck built (red one) and first one to be sold get tagged as #1 or #2....??????

In answer to the questions....I have pictures of 12 trucks and found 10 of them...It appears to me that the Kozy Kleen truck from Kamloops that I was missing is actually Larry's blue truck in Alberni..
I have not found the yellow service truck that was auctioned off in Alberta in the early 2000's
I have not found the Grey truck # 3.Owner of tonights find (Art) tells me that truck used to be up north in his town but disappeared.I do know who purchased it new but have failed at making contact with him.
We don't know how many were built exactly.Everyone agrees that the burgundy Qualicum truck that was built for a women was the last one built.I guess I need to go see for my self if it has a door tag...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Weather sucks and I am off this week so back to fixing things that aren't quite right...The clutch(Its Hyd.)...The truck has always been very hard to get in reverse.I have the pedal set to engage when I have it about a inch or two off the floor.The truck shifts fine but every once in a while when you put it in gear it moves forward.This tells me I need more throw on the pedal which is easy but raises engagement and pedal higher than I like..The other day I put it in reverse and it dropped right in.I went to put it in 2nd and all I got were grinding gears..Not enough travel on the hyd cyl but pedal is to the floor....

I need more cyl travel with the same amount of pedal travel.My pedal ratio is wrong.Current pedal ratio is 6-1.I am moving the pivot point 1/2 a inch.This requires cutting the mounting bracket in half and moving the pivot point up 1/2" and then moving the clevis hole down 1/2"in the pedal.All the cutting and welding has been done (Its aluminum).Tomorrow I will repaint it all and install it..

And yes.....I am guessing as to how much to move it....

Welder Dave

Has there been any more progress on the huge machine you're building? Maybe you can tell us what it is now.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Yes but its not all good.....This is the very short story..
The machine is running and it does what it is supposed to do..(I still cant tell you what it does)
It was 3 months late and the new GM was being very unproffesional and your basic dick head...The customer was fine.It was the GM's fault it was late for not taking the job seriously.
I and the head engineer who designed(and helped me assemble it) it were thrown under the bus more times than I can count..
I was banned from working on all quoted jobs and just about everything else.He pretty much pulled the pin on me....
I am the senior guy at the shop(20 years) and there is no one there that does what I do.I have little tolerance for this kind of stuff so I quit...
I have known the owner of the machine for 20 years and he has hired me and my friend to finish things off...He has no tolerance for the GM either and will not be working with him again...
The owner of the machine is talking about 5-8 more machines at 3 million each...
Not sure what the future holds for me right now but I will see this project through......
I know the $$$ on this job and we did very well on it...The GM turned a really good thing into a giant pissing contest and a **** show....Its all very sad and I just don't need the stress and BS.
Once again....I will turn the page.

Reactions: 075

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Wow! I don’t blame you for quitting. Sorry to hear that’s what it came too. Hopefully you will get to build more of these machines. I wish you all the best.

Welder Dave

Yes but its not all good.....This is the very short story..
The machine is running and it does what it is supposed to do..(I still cant tell you what it does)
It was 3 months late and the new GM was being very unproffesional and your basic dick head...The customer was fine.It was the GM's fault it was late for not taking the job seriously.
I and the head engineer who designed(and helped me assemble it) it were thrown under the bus more times than I can count..
I was banned from working on all quoted jobs and just about everything else.He pretty much pulled the pin on me....
I am the senior guy at the shop(20 years) and there is no one there that does what I do.I have little tolerance for this kind of stuff so I quit...
I have known the owner of the machine for 20 years and he has hired me and my friend to finish things off...He has no tolerance for the GM either and will not be working with him again...
The owner of the machine is talking about 5-8 more machines at 3 million each...
Not sure what the future holds for me right now but I will see this project through......
I know the $$$ on this job and we did very well on it...The GM turned a really good thing into a giant pissing contest and a **** show....Its all very sad and I just don't need the stress and BS.
Once again....I will turn the page.

Sorry to hear that and I can fully understand. I've quit on the spot due to a bunch of BS. It sounds like you could have a multi million dollar contract in your future. Did the engineer quit too or would he if you got a contract to build more of these machines? Seems to me without the engineer and yourself the shop couldn't build the machines and your friend would rather have you build it anyway.

diamondtguy

Occupation
WD....you are correct.Without myself and the engineer the machine could/would not be done...Now....the engineer happens to be my boss and he is part owner so for the time he is still there...doesn't mean to say he is not planning a escape....He is also my friend and we have built a lot of cool things together.
There is a meeting between the two companys next week....I expect another war

Welder Dave

Sometimes I surprise myself. LoL Is the GM a part owner as well or would it be relatively easy to let him go? That might be the best solution if possible. Sometimes you have to let people go for the good of the company and this GM sounds like he's more of a problem than a solution. If the GM stays, the engineer could start something else up with you and maybe some of the good guys in the shop.